shoulder holster for FEG GKK .45

This is a discussion on shoulder holster for FEG GKK .45 within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't really want to carry either of my 1911s around; they're not "show quality", but I don't really want to have their finishes marred ...

Thread: shoulder holster for FEG GKK .45

shoulder holster for FEG GKK .45

I don't really want to carry either of my 1911s around; they're not "show quality", but I don't really want to have their finishes marred by holster wear. But rooting around in a drawer yesterday, I found an FEG GKK .45 that I'd forgotten I owned. I decided it would be a decent .45 CCW.

The GKK is the same size as a 1911, but it's bulkier around the trigger guard; it won't go into my no-name 1911 belt holster. And though the outline is practically identical to a 1911, the sculptured shape is not; I'm pretty sure the GKK won't fit into any "molded" holster.

I'm glad I kept all the links and pictures from my search for a revolver shoulder rig a few weeks ago; it helped while looking for a holster for an automatic.

After looking at a lot of pictures, I finally went with the Galco Classic Lite. It's an old-style non-molded holster. Galco's web site doesn't say that it fits the GKK - nobody does, it's an orphan gun - but they do show a bunch of guns fitting it, not all of them 1911s. It's worth a try, anyway.

The Classic Lite is a horizontal carry with X-straps across the back. It's wholly different rigging from the Nevada Gunleather revolver holster I'm using now, which uses a single shoulder strap over the gun and an elastic band to keep it from sliding off.

The Classic Lite is suede. I would have paid extra for boned leather, like the Miami Classic uses, but the Miami only comes with molded holsters. It's the same rigging, though.

$76 from Amazon, free shipping. I'll post back on how it fits the gun (and me) when it comes in.

2. Remove Ads

Use my Classic lite all the time. Nice carry system and very nice price too.

I wouldn't worry about "show quality" guns. I don't intend to show any of mine to anyone for an opinion regarding its appearance or quality, except for the idiot that has caused me to draw it; He'll make his judgment from the business end.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Okay, review on the holster:

PLUS: It's surprisingly comfortable across the shoulders and where the gun rides along my ribcage.

MINUS:
    1) after a full day of stretching with a plastic bag and cardboard shims, following the instructions provided with the holster, it takes both hands and determination to work a standard 1911 in there

2) there is only a small piece of leather under the trigger guard that connects the left and right halves of the holster. It is sewn along the top edge. I'm guessing the thin suede is stronger than it looks, but I wonder how long it will hold up to sweat.

3) all of the hardware is plastic. Thin, cheesy plastic with sharpish corners.

4) the strap mount at the front of the holster is more or less at the center of gravity for a standard 1911 and 7-round magazine. The rear mount can't do much about the cant of the holster other than pulling the back up some.

5) the sights are not protected

6) the holster comes with a "magazine pouch" which has the plastic pieces to anchor the offside straps. You can't assemble the rigging without the pouch. Unfortunately, the pouch, which is bulkier than it has to be, is annoyingly in the way; it's at just the right (wrong?) place.

7) said pouch also functions as the down strap going to your belt... but there's just a plastic loop on the bottom. Apparently Galco sells the belt attachment separately. No mention of it in the instructions.

I'm not particularly impressed. At the very least, I'll have to drill out the rivets and make a strap to replace or reposition the mag pouch. The instructions are also emphatic about not getting the holster wet; perhaps at Galco's home in Arizona rain is infrequent, but here in Arkansas rain is probably more common. Also, it's humid enough to put salt stains on a shirt in an hour or so if you spend much time outdoors in the summer.

I realize the "Lite" is Galco's economy model, but... <sigh>

Just a note I know you mentioned in the other thread that it's very close to a 1911, well in my looking about it sure looks allot closer to a Browning Hi Power. That's what I'd be looking at compatibility wise for a non boned holster, I've got my doubts that a boned rig would fit but a non boned rig for a HiPower looks like it will fit. Another option that may be close is a CZ75 rig, as it shares some of the same features as well.

Either way just a suggestion that might help.

Luke
    I am the owner/proprietor of www.adamsholsters.com Custom holsters made for you. To contact me please use E-mail rather than Private Messages, luke@adamsholsters.com

VIP Member
    Just asking ----

why did you start two different threads on the same subject?

Seems to me that severely dilutes any helpful responses.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

This thread is about a holster for a specific pistol. The other thread is about stretching leather, applicable to any holster or pistol.

I will definitely visit this site again because i learned a lot and got very helpful information from your blog. Thanks for sharing.

Okay, I got the holster modified to accept the gun. For suede, soaking in warm water will turn the leather stretchy. I also had to relocate the plastic spacer and snap attachment forward of the GKK's trigger guard.

With all that done, I reassembled the rigging and tried it on. It was quite comfortable. My other rig is one of the single-side jobs, with a wide strap going over the shoulder and a small elastic band around the other arm to keep the strap from sliding off. The entire weight of the gun is on the outboard part of my shoulder. The Classic Lite's crossover strap design moves the weight inboard, over my collarbone, and spreads it out over a slightly larger area. Though the GKK is much heavier than the little aluminum-frame revolver, it doesn't feel like it. Note: I'm in the early stages of rotator cuff tendonitis, which probably exaggerates the difference between the two rigs.

Everything was fine until I moved around a bit. Every few minutes, the weight of the gun would pull the whole harness off to the side, and I'd have to tug it back into place.

The Classic Lite is an X-strap (my term) design, with the straps crossing behind your back. I had noticed some (but not all) similar designs come with a tiedown strap, and the ones that don't often have them as an option. You need the tiedown strap with the Classic Lite, and in order to use the tiedown, you have to have your shirt tucked in. I don't even own any shirts with tails, I converted happily to a sloppy outside-shirt guy decades ago.

My first thought was to find an off-the-shoulder, single-side rig for cheap on eBay or GunBroker, throw away the holster, and use the now-modified Galco holster with it. I didn't find anything likely; it turns out holster manufacturers are downright imaginative in the different ways they find to attach pieces together.

So, peering at the (usually small and crummy) pictures of other X-type shoulder rigs, I realized that the pictures of the holsters probably weren't showing them properly adjusted. They usually showed the offside strap hanging loosely at mid-ribcage level, where it would provide no support at all. If you tightened the strap up, some of the weight of the gun would be supported by the front of the shoulder and armpit.

The Galco's straps aren't made to do that, but I have some spare Chicago screws and a hole punch, so the next step is to shorten the strap.

If shortening the strap works, I'll probably see if I can order the round offside cord that Safariland uses on some of their rigs. The main thing I don't like about my other rig is the soft elastic band running under my armpit; a leather strap would probably be much more annoying.

Holsters for FEG GKK-45

Hey Dude, I just noticed this thread. I have four of the FEG GKK-45 pistols--two GKK-45, and two GKK-45C (shorter barrel--think "Commander"). You might get the impression I like them--and you would be right. They are a fantastic deal for the money and are good solid, accurate pistols. One of the reasons I was attracted to them in the first place is that my first handgun (which I have had for about 40 years) is a S&W M39 9mm, which is the pistol these FEGs were really modeled after--albeit in .45 calibre and with a slide that looks more like a Browning HP. I got started on the DA/SA M39 and am just used to that "operating system."

I sometimes carry one of the GKK-45Cs concealed, and I do so in the same holster I use for my M39. It is a Crossbreed Supertuck molded-kydex-on-horsehide IWB holster made for the S&W M39 (and 59, etc.). The FEG fits perfectly into the molded kydex--even with the finger grip on the front of the trigger guard, which the M39 does not have, but which some of the other similar S&W pistols have, so Crossbreed molds the kydex accordingly.

I know you were looking for a shoulder holster, and actually you might be able to find one if you get one that is molded for the appropriate S&W. You would need to look for a holster made for a S&W of the successor series to the M39 and M59, but with the offhand finger grip on the front of the trigger guard. However, I can't recommend the Crossbreed IWB holster highly enough. Carried on one of Crossbreed's excellent THICK belts, it never drags down one side of my pants, even with that heavy .45 in it. And the FEG pistols are really thin for a full-sized pistol--just the thing for concealability. The Crossbreed holsters are tuckable (i.e., you can tuck your shirt in over the holster), but from the sound of your description of your shirts, you could easily just let your shirt drape over it for concealment. I have an old Jackass shoulder rig (forerunner of the current Galco products) for my revolvers, but I stopped using it when I found the Crossbreed holsters. They are simply the most comfortable and concealable holsters I've ever had. If you get the optional horsehide back, they are almost completely sweat proof. And, they are built to last.

PS: I don't recommend trying to use a holster made for a Browning HP, as someone suggested. I have such a holster (and a couple of HPs--one 9mm, one .40 cal---to put in it). The FEG does NOT fit in the HP holster. The business end of the FEG is a little thicker than that of the HP, and the FEG is MUCH taller from bottom of trigger guard to top of slide than is the Browning. It just won't go into the holster.

Maby not exatley what you are looking for but I Much like the kangroo holsrer I have it conceales easely and has spare mag carriers on thr off side it dosen't need to be tied down and has a strap accross the gun sholder the large one will fit many guns Kangaroo Carry

I looked at the Kangaroo, and might purchase one eventually, but I wanted a more conventional holster. for that particular gun.

I found that Safariland makes a shoulder holster of the single-side type; the Model 1052 Model 1052 ALS® Lightweight Shoulder Holster | Safariland? I found a place that had them for $46. After putting it off for a couple of weeks, I went ahead an ordered one. The plan is to move the holster from the Galco X-rig to the Safariland rigging, which is similar to the Nevada Gunleather holster I use for the revolver.

The modified Galco holster with the GKK. I have to move the Chicago screw forward to clear the longer trigger guard, and the holster is stretched a lot to accomodate the extra trigger guard depth.

Once the holster dried the gun slides in and out reasonably well.

Yes, I know the straps aren't properly threaded through the wossname pieces. They're very difficult to adjust once they're threaded, and I'm still playing with the rigging.

The GKK is basically the same size as a 1911 except for the larger trigger guard, which makes any kind of formed holster unusable.

The rubber bootie is from Hogue, and the reason it's there is because the GKK's front strap has an uncomfortably tight radius. The bootie makes the grip bulkier, but much more comfortable to hold. I may try something else later. Also, that's an aftermarket magazine with a large plastic bumper on the bottom; the original magazine has a much smaller bumper. I'm not all that worried, it's just a huge gun compared to my LCP and J-frame...
    Attached Images

Links