First impressions - Milt Sparks VM2

This is a discussion on First impressions - Milt Sparks VM2 within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been ogling Milt Sparks designs for some time, but I've never been willing to sit through the 4-6 month wait time for one. Well, ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By T. Kanaley
  • 1 Post By GMArthur

Thread: First impressions - Milt Sparks VM2

I've been ogling Milt Sparks designs for some time, but I've never been willing to sit through the 4-6 month wait time for one. Well, a couple weeks ago I got lucky on Ebay and found a used Versa Max 2 with matching belt for my Glock 26 for a good price, so I went for it. Until that point I'd been using a Glock 19-sized Comp-Tac MTAC for IWB carry for my Glock 19 and 26.

So far I'm very, very happy with the VM2. It took a little getting used to, as it "likes" to ride a little further back than the MTAC and carries the gun higher than I was used to, but it's amazingly comfortable and more importantly it does a *great* job of holding the grip against my body when I move around. It takes some serious effort to get it to print, I basically have to bend way over. Another great thing about it (compared to the MTAC) is that the holster stays *fully* open when the gun is drawn, so one-handed reholstering is extremely easy. The MTAC's slide guard is made of a softer leather and bends over the Kydex, so one-handed reholsterings can be a little bit sketchy with it as you basically have to pry open the holster with your frame. I also like the belt loop design better than the MTAC's, since the latter loops (J-hooks, really) can sometimes pop off my belt. I still think the MTAC is a very good holster, but I can't see myself using it for the G26 again now that I have this option. I might be getting another VM2 for the Glock 19 in the near future...

The only gripe I've had had nothing to do with the holster itself...the person selling it advertised it as sized for a 1.5" belt, but it actually had 1.25" loops (and the belt it came with was 1.25" as well). This was annoying as all my gun belts (and all my pant belt loops!) are 1.5", and I do not like how 1.25" belts look with jeans or chinos. Thankfully, all it took was a quick call to Milt Sparks to purchase a new set of loops, which I've already received (they keep loops in stock, apparently, so you don't have to go through their insane waiting period). And I guess I now have the option to wear the holster with a dress belt, if I ever need to.

I've had my VM2 for just over a year now (G27) and love it. I did need to shift it back just a little (about 2" more than other IWB holsters I was using) - which slightly changes your draw and reholstering (and makes it a little more difficult to draw while seated in a car). But, it is the most comfortable holster I have ever had and does a great job with retention if you happen to be running around. I wear mine all day (from the time I get up to the time I go to sleep) and sometimes forget it is there.

Mine also still looks like new after a year of daily use - a testament to the quality materials and workmanship. Now, if there was a way to keep that quality and get the wait time down to the 8-10 week range...

Thanks Night Owl and cn!

Quote Originally Posted by cn262 View Post
    ...Now, if there was a way to keep that quality and get the wait time down to the 8-10 week range...
    We're pretty close to that lead time right now with a 10 - 16 week estimated delivery window on new orders. Our goal has been to get our backlog down to 8 - 12 weeks like it always used to be up till a few years ago. A lot of that will depend on how busy it gets after the first of the year.

Happy Thanksgiving!
    cn262 and BigJon10125 like this.
    Second Best is not an option

I absolutely love mine. Without a doubt the most comfortable holster I've used and I've tried most. I carry my 26 in it daily. The only time I use something different is when I know I'll have to disarm and rearm at some point in the day, then I use a cheap 1 clip holster that's easy to take off and put on.

Just an FYI - TopGun is a stocking Sparks dealer. They seem to get them in pretty regular. I signed up for email notice and within a couple weeks got an email and was able to buy online and get that super fast TopGunSupply shipping. Nice for those who don't want to wait 6 months.
    bigpapa likes this.

Hands down my favorite IWB holster. I own seven of them.....one for every carry gun.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

My neighbor just bought one recently.It is nice for sure.

Ho ho ho, I got a notification from Top Gun Supply earlier this week that they had the G19 model in stock and ordered it immediately. It just arrived, and I'm already wearing it. These have pretty much become my all-the-time holsters, except when I'm wearing gym pants...then it's the G26 in a Remora. I'll keep the MTAC for the rare occasions when I feel like tucking my shirt in.

I carry a Colt commander and love it in the vm2. Only downside imo is the lack of tuckability. Bought from Alan Yoast on GB. Great guy, support him if possible. Had mine in under a week. I did get the plastic clips to make it tuckable, but I can not figure out how it should work. Following the directions, the rear of the gun rides just below my belt line, almost impossible to sit. For untucked shirts though the vm2 is my fav.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

You can buy clips to make it tuckable.

Anyone lucky enough to enjoy Milt Sparks holsters, is...lucky enough! Well Done!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I own 4. waited 4-5 months for every one. Luck had nothing to do with it. Patience did.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    It's the only holster I wear! I also own 4 of them and gladly waited for all but one (lucked out someone selling online).

Well worth the wait and cost!
    NRA Instructor

Sponsored Links