How minimalist can you be and be safe?

This is a discussion on How minimalist can you be and be safe? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There have been several threads asking about specific minimalist holsters - the one that is only a piece of plastic which covers the trigger guard; ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: How minimalist can you be and be safe?

VIP Member

How minimalist can you be and be safe?

There have been several threads asking about specific minimalist holsters - the one that is only a piece of plastic which covers the trigger guard; the one that has a rod that goes into the barrel of the gun, etc.

Here is what I personally feel is an excellent review of what really is/should be the true minimal holster, not an unsafe gimmick:

Minimalist Holsters - Personal Defense Network

I agree wholeheartedly with him and feel he makes the case far better than I ever could.

Some of you may totally disagree with Rob on this issue. That is your prerogative.

BTW: He does not deal with the soft Remora/sticky type holsters at all, so any comments about those would be off topic for this particular post ---- but comment away anyway, like always. That's what makes it fun.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

2. Remove Ads

There are a few who like the Versacarry, it scares the Bejeez out of me. I carry AIWB...I'll pass on that design.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
    If you can, always carry, you can't choose the moments, they choose you. - Colion Noir (2013)

VIP Member
    Even Rob's holster is more minimal than I go.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

PJHolster is my preferred minimalist holster. I like holsters to protect the pistol a little too, not just the trigger.
    ,____,
    //' British Agent
    "
    "Happiness is a warm Gun."

Personally I think the Remoras meet his requirements, at least for smaller, lighter guns, if a good belt is used. With my LCR, that sucker isn't going anywhere.

Seems like good advice. Covering the trigger is critical, except in some unusual cases (carrying an SA revolver, perhaps). For striker-fired guns without safeties, especially.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

VIP Member
    If the trigger can't be pulled you're safe. The Zack and other such designs aren't at all unsafe.

That said, I don't like the idea behind them. Keeping the gun in the right place is pretty important. Shifting or moving can mean you can't get to it when you need it. There's no way that's a good idea.
    WoodLark and 45ACP4ever like this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    My pet peeve is similar.

I look at "features" on some guns and it seem clear that the manufacturers are trying to make them 'idiot-proof' or 'for beginners'. I don't envy gun-makers because in a litigious society people like to sue if the "hot coffee" is too hot.

My do not want list:
    Mag-release safeties (Ca legal Ruger LC9)
    Long pull triggers (LCP)
    Flip UP safeties (Several, incl. the Ruger LC9)
    Integral lasers and funny construction (no holster options)
    Slides which won't lock into battery after the last round is fired (Ruger LCP)
    Lightweight frame .357s sold to women ('because it's not all heavy in your purse or your ankle'??)
    Mouse guns with pinchy polymer triggers sold to women. A polymer trigger, are you kidding?

And yeah, on holsters. I want a holster I can put on my belt with one hand take off with one hand and holster with one hand. Collapsing holster openings are dangerous. I also want a holster which won't scratch my firearm (polycarbonate, not kydex). I don't want one I have to thread my belt through. In fact I want one I can wear on drawstring sweat pants with a bit of a waistband. (I found all that on the N82, poly).

Appendix carry, tuckable shirt types, shoulder holsters that have the muzzle sweeping the guy behind you, no trigger guard cover - no thanks. :)

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Pincus has thought things out well. He usually doesn't publish things unless they are proven pragmatic. Sure, there's more than one way to skin that cat, but Rob's point is what is safe and makes sense; not what you can probably get away with.

Gotta shake my head when people stick a loaded pistol in their pants, but scoff at a holstered pistol pointing at people behind them.

Personally, the holster must be attached to my belt (either IWB or OWB), or be a proper pocket holster. I've tried my Nemesis pocket holster with the 642 stuck IWB around the house all day long to see if would carry like a Remora due to the tacky nature of the material. It didn't move, but I didn't like that I kept checking it to make sure it was still there. That experiment didn't last beyond that day.

I've seem the ads for the Versicarry, and no thanks. Just my $.02.
    FlaRon likes this.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    I bought a Yaqui slide years ago after Jeff Cooper extolled the virtues in several articles (for the 1911 of course)! It is very secure and I have also used it for carrying Glocks as well. I think they are still a good minimalist choice today!
    Camjr and Ghost1958 like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    I adore Rob. I really do, but he's completely wrong on a few things.
    The TC trigger covers have adjustable tension, and the lanyard for them is only about a foot long, so even if the gun did come out of your belt, it's only going to fall as far as your groin, and the trigger is STILL COVERED. You have to yank the gun firmly to dislodge the cover, as when drawing the gun. The one disadvantage of the TC is that you can't draw the gun and fire it from retention. you have to reach extension to snap the cover off. That can be a problem in an SD setting.

As for the Versacarry, it covers the trigger, it clips onto the pants waistline or belt, I tuck in my shirt, so sweat doesn't matter to me, and my gun is snagless, so it's not going to poke me, or cause any issues like that. I have no problem with the versacarry what so ever, and most of the people who do, have never used one. It's perfect for appendix carry, since most [full] holsters I've tried with the Nano, for me, make a good grip on the gun from a draw pretty much impossible due to the inside edge of the holster interfering with my ability to get more than two fingers on the gun at draw. The versacarry fixed that.

I have no idea what the heck Rob is talking about with the versacarry and not chambering a round. I carry with a round chambered, and when I draw the gun, the clip stays on the belt. Where's the problem? The barrel plug is ON the clip, so it stays put as well. The trigger is covered until the gun is drawn, so there's never a time you'd shoot the gun with the barrel plugged. He isn't making any sense at all on that point. He's just looking for things to complain about, and making up issues that don't exist.
    Echo_Four likes this.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    I have yet to hear a single valid argument against the versacarry unless you carry in waistband, with shirt untucket, and worry about sweat against the gun. For me, that's not really an issue.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

For "minimalist" design, I'll take a Milt Sparks Summer Special, and occasionally a Yaqui Slide.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    GS- Pincus said the versa carry does not cover the trigger. He also said it is unsafe to carry IWB, and the website clearly shows IWB carry with their product. This is begging for an accident. The product should not be referred to as a holster.

"Mexican" carry trigger clips are also not holsters. There are two choices as far as retention: tight enough to retain the gun if it pops loose, or loose enough to come off when the pistol is drawn. You can't have it (reliably) both ways.

The above example of defense from retention is also an excellent example of why these gadgets are not acceptable defensive firearm holsters.

Ladies and gentlemen, it is a gun. It is a steel tool which contains and controls explosions. Get a quality holster.

Yaqui Slide holster by Galco is about as minimalist as I've done. For a simple OWB holster in the right situations, it can be fairly effective. A bit risky for being shoved right out of the slot, compared to other closed-end or thumb-break holsters, but good for what it's designed to do. Wouldn't want to be riding horseback with that one, though.
    5lima30ret likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links