Crossbreed supertuck love and hate

This is a discussion on Crossbreed supertuck love and hate within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Over the summer I ordered a super tuck in horsehide for my glock 36. When I got it tried it on once to see how ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Crossbreed supertuck love and hate

Crossbreed supertuck love and hate

Over the summer I ordered a super tuck in horsehide for my glock 36. When I got it tried it on once to see how it looked in the mirror liked how it looked and felt. I then took it off and put it away since the glock 36 is my cold weather carry gun. Well now that cold weather is here I have actually been using it. I have worn it around the house for about 3 weeks, out and about a few times and used it during an idpa match last week. I love how comfortable it is! However I HATE how loud and squeaky this thing is. I have tried moleskin under the clips and kiwi saddle soap on the front side. Neither of these two methods have done a damn thing. I am now kicking my self for not testing this holster out during the two week trial period and if I could would have gotten cowhide instead(read it is quieter) I really want to use this holster but just can't get over the noise it makes.

2. Remove Ads

Sponsor
    I'm sorry you've had an issue. Squeaking horse hide is one of the reasons we haven't decided to offer it yet (Not till we can RELIABLY solve the problem on every horse hide holster). I would suggest contacting them, they may have some advice.

I can say that we had issues with squeaking on the prototypes we have tested so far with a horsehide ACE-1, Most of us stopped carrying them within a month to return to our cowhide. However, one of my employees used his for about a year, Around the 6 month mark it stopped squeaking.

Good luck!
    -Clay

I have a horse hide Theis that squeaked when it as new. Friend recommended baby powder and it seemed to work (it went away but I'm not sure if it was because of the powder or on its own).

I found the crossbreed to have a little extra leather at the bottom, it kinda pinches my thigh when I sit.
    kaikane0812 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SHTFGearLLC View Post
    I'm sorry you've had an issue. Squeaking horse hide is one of the reasons we haven't decided to offer it yet (Not till we can RELIABLY solve the problem on every horse hide holster).
    Consider using bull hide instead. It's about as firm/tough as horse, but without the sheen and noise issues.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Get some felt pads that are used on chair legs, and start lining the area behind the clips where they meet the body of the holster. Line other contact points that you feel might be problematic. It'll disappear.
    NRA Certified Instructor: Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home. Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor. RSO. Travelin' Man.

I have a crossbreed mini-tuck as does my wife, both are of cowhide, I have used it daily for about a year now, if I recall it was a little squeaky at the beginning but is quiet now. Other than getting a little dirty on the back side, holding up nicely with daily use.

Interesting. I've got a Super Tuck and a Quik Clip. Don't recall either making any noise. Wore the ST quite a bit, it was my only IWB. Maybe I wasn't listening.

My super tuck made noise for a while, a little baby powder made the noise stop..
    kaikane0812 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Have Supertuck horsehide for both an HK P2000SK and PPS neither have an issue with squeakiness nor fit. Wore the PPS out to a semi-dress dinner party this week and no problem. In the Vegas area more concerned with summer heat!

You sure it not the glock squeaking?

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    Get some adhesive velcro strips and take the fuzzy half and stick it to the back of the clips. This works for me. I have tried saddle soap and powder before niether of which worked for me. The velcro does the trick.

I removed the moleskin and tried some of the soft side of Velcro. It still makes noise. I also covered the thing in baby powder. I think all that did was make it smell funny.

Cool

Figured out the problem was between the gun and the leather. I put some moleskin on the leather and problem is gone, also helped with retention too since I thought it was a little on the loose side. Now it is perfect!

supertuck36_1.jpgsupertuck36_2.jpg
    Kennydale, ccman and GlassWolf like this.

Poor Moles!
    Zralou and kaikane0812 like this.
    I suffer from CDO

It's exactly like OCD but in Alphabetical order

The way it should be!

I'm still convinced that for the average (read majority) of carriers the only noticeable difference between horse and cow is that horse squeaks. Oh, and some charge extra for the squeak. Horse may have the benefits that it's sold for, but most folks would never need them. All the stuff I make is on leather. Leather squeaks a bit, but in my experience, not as much as horse.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links