trouble with iwb

This is a discussion on trouble with iwb within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a theiss iwb leather/kydex holster and im using it with my 3.8 xdm .40. My issue is when i carry at my 4 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: trouble with iwb

trouble with iwb

I have a theiss iwb leather/kydex holster and im using it with my 3.8 xdm .40. My issue is when i carry at my 4 oclock it feels great while standng and walking around but when i sit, it sticks out like crazy. At 3 oclock it is.better but uncomfortable when sitting.
    I prefer to carry a 38 in my front but not proficient at reloading at a fast pace yet. I dont like the way my draw feels past the 4 oclock. Is it my gun, my holster, or am i just too picky. Ive researched a lot of pictures but 98% are while standing. Not sure if others are having the issues when sitting.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Welcome to the wonderful world of finding the right holster. If you don't have a drawer full you ain't tryin!

You're either going to have to find the right compromise position to carry so it feels good and doesn't stick out like a tumor when sitting, or try another type of holster. Maybe a full kydex one that is smaller but still able to support the gun carried. I like the Phantom from Raven Concealment. It's about the best Ive tried for my full size M&P. There are a number of other options out there like the Incog, or CompTech. i'm sure others will have lots of suggestions.

Good luck!
    I suffer from CDO

It's exactly like OCD but in Alphabetical order

The way it should be!

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    try carrying the gun higher so your pants don't pull the barrel inwards and push the grip out.
    robhic and gatorbait51 like this.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

What kind of belt are you using?
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    When Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have guns

Just remember, When seconds count help is mere minutes away

Also remember, When you go to trial by jury you are putting yourself into the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

VIP Member
    I carry IWB, my S&W M&P c.357sig, and my Sig 2340 .357 sig@ 8(left hand) and its not like I'm NOT wearing anything, but the only problem I have is with the 2340 as the grip is almost 1 in. longer and its a tad wider, but still not unbearable.
    The M&P rides in a no name leather open bottom single wide clip, and the 2340 rides in a Tagua open bottom single clip as well.

If you are under the impression that you aren't supposed to feel anything, you may be mistaken.

My nephew carries his FS M&P .40 in a crossbreed-like(home made), as well as his brother and dad carry M&P compacts in same, and they swear by them.
    I never cared for them myself, but then, oh well.
    Good luck, and Welcome from Michigan!
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Belt is important.

So is cant/rake. What attachment holes are you using? Most don't take advantage of the adjustability of these holsters.

photo 3.JPG

This is a CBST at its absolute maximum rake. Note how the clips angle off toward the butt, and aren't parallel vertically with the holster. A rake this deep allows you to conceal the long grip putting it more vertically along your body-line and carry from behind the posterior hip (4/8 o'clock). It does however, also force you to do a sort of FBI-style bow/forward bend at the hips to access the pistol, but that's about firing position for some anyway.

As for sitting, if you're not a very big person or don't wear your pants synched up to your waist like an adult, these aren't the most comfortable holsters. I have a 32-34" (size 28-30 pants) waist and wear my admittedly stylish, low-cut jeans on my hips, so I almost never wear the above set-up; and if I do, it's great for walking about, not so much for sitting.

Not much you can do about that, I simply carry less gun (LCP instead of P99) if I plan on doing a lot of sitting/driving. Maybe look into crossdraw or shoulder holsters.

Good luck!

EDIT: For those unaware, Crossbreed Seconds resells used Crossbreed holsters at about half the price of most hybrid holster companies, let alone CB themselves.
    ,____,
    //' British Agent
    "
    "Happiness is a warm Gun."

These types of holsters are meant to be worn around the 4:30 or 5:00 position. Takes a little getting used to but it is comfortable and conceals the firearm better. Less printing.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Define "sticking out." You may just be self conscience about the fact you are carrying, wondering if anyone is noticing.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stfuracing View Post
    I have a theiss iwb leather/kydex holster and im using it with my 3.8 xdm .40. My issue is when i carry at my 4 oclock it feels great while standng and walking around but when i sit, it sticks out like crazy. At 3 oclock it is.better but uncomfortable when sitting.
    I prefer to carry a 38 in my front but not proficient at reloading at a fast pace yet. I dont like the way my draw feels past the 4 oclock. Is it my gun, my holster, or am i just too picky. Ive researched a lot of pictures but 98% are while standing. Not sure if others are having the issues when sitting.
    I could never make a hybrid work comfortably and effectively for me anywhere. Ultimately, I have wound up at 3:00/9:00 with all leather or all kydex holsters with a 20-degree cant.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    As others have said, a belt is very important. Get one from a police supply store. They are thicker and less prone to twisting.

I have carried well over 40 yrs, both OC and CC. During that time, I have gone through dozens of holsters. Many did not work out at all.

When I am wearing a side holster, I will wear it at a 4:00 position. Then when I sit down, I slide it forward so it is at a 3:00 position.

I might add I am against Kydex for many reasons and one is their stiffness. They do not mold to my fat body as does a good leather holster.

During the cooler months, I wear a shoulder holster and find them to be more comfortable.

Which ever method you want, just be sure to carry the same way each time and carry every day. It takes some getting accustomed to carrying and that does not happen in just a few days.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

I have a "Hidden Hybrid Holster" that has holes through the leather so it can be worn OWB, or IWB with clips. If I'm wearing a shirt that is a little tighter, I'll go IWB at 03:00-04:00. Otherwise, I prefer OWB. It's just easier to consistently get my fingers around the grip. I find IWB puts it tight up against my body making a clean quick draw more difficult. I've gotten over worrying so much about printing. I find even going OWB nobody seems to take notice. I my opinion, dark colors hide much better than light ones. Black and dark blue tee shirts work well for me. Welcome from Florida.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum. Personally, around 2:30 is my best carry spot. I have different holsters for different occasions: Remora for IWB works really well for me but not for other folks. I also have a "just the size of the gun" Kydex that I used to wear all the time, but now it feels like it's poking me because I'm spoiled with the comfort of the Remora. Each person has to find what works best.
    gatorbait51 and Holster like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post
    As others have said, a belt is very important. Get one from a police supply store. They are thicker and less prone to twisting.
    This is key. Most people think 'better belt=wider', perhaps so the clip of the holster isn't shifting up or down. But the truth is thicker to a point resists twisting.

Great point, '45!

Remember folks, with all the stuff on our belts these days, people being so involved with their iPODs they walk into traffic, NOBODY is noticing a bulge. Just don't wear UnderArmor compression T-shirts and nothing else...well for carry purposes. I highly approve of...well, nevermind. :)
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stfuracing View Post
    are you using this IWB holster with a rigid gun belt? If not, you should try one. Also, how tight is whatever belt you wear? I have found that when I wear a similar holster with a similarly sized gun, mine is alright, but if I go one belt hole tighter, and make it really snug, the gun hugs in much tighter against my kidney and my beltline tends to ride more on my hips than around them.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    DSCF8299_zps5d3f0451.jpg

this is my smaller Nano at 3 o'clock, but with the same Foxx holster as I have for my PPQ. You can see how having the belt good and snug pulls the gun in tightly.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links