OWB Holster

OWB Holster

This is a discussion on OWB Holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What is the best OWB holster for good concealment with a t-shirt? Looking at the Crossbreed Super Slide....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: OWB Holster

OWB Holster

What is the best OWB holster for good concealment with a t-shirt? Looking at the Crossbreed Super Slide.

That pretty much sounds like a contradiction in terms.
    One option is a PF9 with the 'optional' metal clip, that screws onto the frame and allows carry between jeans and belt... the belt protects the trigger well.
    Also, some use a "Belly Band" for holsterless carry.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

VIP Member
    Get an OWB for comfort, not concealment, that is unless you wear your t-shirts about three sizes too large....

I'm partial to Raven Concealment's Phantom holster. It can be worn OWB and is very comfortable, and can be used IWB with a switch to one of their various straps/clips. You can get either regular hard belt loops with it, or order the pancake attachments that pulls it in even closer to the body while on your belt. Give it a look, you might find it appealing.
    Rattlehead and G26Raven like this.
    Tactical Junior Senior Instructor Of Advanced Tactics
    The Gecko45 Tactical Academy of Tactical Tactics
    Master of the Tactical Back Flip
    Internet Gun Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Hatrix View Post
    I'm partial to Raven Concealment's Phantom holster. It can be worn OWB and is very comfortable, and can be used IWB with a switch to one of their various straps/clips. You can get either regular hard belt loops with it, or order the pancake attachments that pulls it in even closer to the body while on your belt. Give it a look, you might find it appealing.
    I'm a fan of Raven myself... if you're going OWB I'd recommend it, but listen to Patriot and Stoveman. Your situation will dictate what you carry, what you wear, and therefore what you're able to conceal, but it will considerably more difficult than IWB. As Hatrix pointed out, one advantage of the Phantom is that it can be quickly converted to IWB if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoveman View Post
    Get an OWB for comfort, not concealment, that is unless you wear your t-shirts about three sizes too large....
    I been wearing an OWB holster (Desantis mini slide) for the last 3 years and do not need shirts three sizes too large to conceal. Normally wear size L and go to XL when carrying. I also used to wear XL when I IWB (Crossbred Supertuck).

VIP Member
    There is a difference between technically concealed and the "good concealment" that the OP was inquiring about......

You're going to need a pretty oversized/long t-shirt to get 'good' concealment with any OWB holster. It'll help if you go with something that rides high and keeps the gun tucked close to the body.

There's some good suggestions and pictures for high ride OWB holsters here:
    High Ride Holsters

I sometimes carry OWB when I run to the store or such & just throw on a Black or heavy Dark Colored shirt, but I live in an open carry State, but I NEVER open carry.

Don't think I can remember when I could 'squeeze' into a size XL shirt. I think I was a teenager. LOL
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

I have no problem CC'ing my Glock-36 OWB under a T-shirt, or outside a T-shirt with a cover shirt in this... (M) #12 BASIC

If you notice the holster on the upper right, the one with the Glock...notice how high and tight the gun is held against the body? Easy concealment...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

There is a difference between technically concealed and the "good concealment" that the OP was inquiring about......
    It is not technically concealed. It is concealed.

OWB more comfortable, IWB a little uncomfortable.....beer gut. Hate to have to buy new wardrobe. Right now I have a Versacarry and a Blackhawk Sportster which is IWB or OWB. OWB is just more comfortable for me as far as drawing my firearm. I have a S&W SD9VE as my carry. Was looking at the Crossbreed Super Slide. My t-shirts are not that tight because I wear XL.

I can wear a Raven OWB with a G26 with Hawaiian shirts in my normal size and it's undetectable. Same goes for dark colored polo shirts. I also wear 5.11 Tactical concealment shirts, which are a bit long. In colder weather any normal size long sleeve shirt works just fine, especially flannel shirts.

I carry a G27 owb in an X-concealment C-type with t-shirts and golf shirts that fit. My wife can't tell I'm carrying unless she cops a feel.

Thats not a fair generalization. I carry OWB almost exclusively now using the same clothes when I carried IWB. Granted, I almost always wear an untucked shirt over a Tshirt and during the cooler months I wear a vest. I can carry an XDm 3.8 compact with just as much concealment OWB as I can IWB. But I certainly did not need to increase the size of my clothes to accomplish it.

OP, I am pleased with UBG holsters and Winthrop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links