Help a new guy out!

This is a discussion on Help a new guy out! within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys and gals, I am a new member to the sight and I am just now getting into concealed carry, mostly through IDPA. Im ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help a new guy out!

Help a new guy out!

Hey guys and gals, I am a new member to the sight and I am just now getting into concealed carry, mostly through IDPA. Im looking for a good IWB for a Glock 17. I know I know, I should have went with a 19 for carry, but the 17 just fits my hands better and Im more accurate with it. So that being said I am 6'3" 225lbs. Im a big guy with a bit of a belly, but nothing major, so I am calling on you big guys like me out there, what type of holster should I be looking at? I want to buy first and be happy instead of trying 72 billion holsters ( I know I will prolly go through a few), but still the fewer the better.

The only true requirements I have are:

1. Adjustable for forward cant, or made as forward cant.
    2. Adjustable retention would be great.
    3. Rigid opening to aid in one handed reholstering.
    4. IDPA legal.

I know a lot of people will say that an OWB with a vest would be best for IDPA, but Im big in practicing in the theory of, "shoot what you carry, and carry what you shoot." So any advice would be great guys and pictures are worth a thousand words.

EDIT:
    I forgot to mention that I am left handed to boot, don't know if that will make much of a difference.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array WannabeaCPA's Avatar
    I have a holster from Foxx holsters that I carry IWB. It's not for a Glock but they do have one for your gun. It has what you are looking for other than the adjustable retention. It has a "medium" retention but the rest is from your belt. It carries my Shield very well. And pretty cheap. Another good one...not so cheap... is a holster from White Hat. Made in Texas (which makes me partial to them ) Also when you order the holster you can specify which hand you are. Wish I had a picture, sorry.
    Gun control isn't about guns...it's about control. It also makes criminals out of otherwise law abiding citzens.

Thanks WannabeaCPA, ill look into Foxx, ive never heard of them actually. Ive heard of White Hat but never looked into them.

Quote Originally Posted by FosterEDC View Post
    Thanks WannabeaCPA, ill look into Foxx, ive never heard of them actually. Ive heard of White Hat but never looked into them.
    No prob. I think I got my holster in within a week or so. The reason I never got the White Hat was because they are about $125. Didn't have that kind of cash on hand. Can't go wrong with either one. Let me know if There's anything else I can help with.
    Gun control isn't about guns...it's about control. It also makes criminals out of otherwise law abiding citzens.

I looked at the Foxx website and I like the little fox. Im not sure if I like the full hybrid holsters, they just look really big and I feel that would cause problems but I am not sure. Any input on this? I was led to the blade tech nano by a guy I know and I was interested in it, however given that it is full Kydex I worry that it would get uncomfortable quickly. Anybody carry one of these for a G17?

Welcome from a little guy only 5'11" and 170 pounds.
    I tried what you are doing asking people advice on holsters and guess what I have a drawer full of holsters just like every one else. Good luck and keep safe.

I have the carbon fiber kydex holster for my shield. It carries just fine for me. The way it fits me is that The front clip is near my pocket on my pants and the back is around the 4:30 to 5:00 position and the gun is around 3:30-4:00 position which is comfortable to me. The holster will, after a little wear, will conform to how you carry it the most. I thought about the little foxx but I decided the bigger kydex was a better fit for me. I'd rather have two clips instead of just one. I've never heard of the blade tech nano. There are tons of excellent holsters out there.

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    try highnoon, you can return the non custom stuff if you don't like it. Inside The Waistband

TT gun leather and Milt Sparks are worth a look too.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

I was concerned about the single clip for stability, but the easy on/ easy off would be a plus. It seems like everyone likes the big ol' full size hybrid holsters but im just not sure. I know a single clip would probably be best for appendix carry, but Im looking at more of a 3-4 o'clock carry.

Quote Originally Posted by WannabeaCPA View Post
    No prob. I think I got my holster in within a week or so. The reason I never got the White Hat was because they are about $125. Didn't have that kind of cash on hand. Can't go wrong with either one. Let me know if There's anything else I can help with.
    Don't be scared away from white hat, they are not $125. They might have one that expensive, but you can get very nice basic models for $65, and even a very basic model for $45.

That said, I opted for a Tommy Theis holster and love it. Basically the same thing as the white hat, but a different maker.

The G17 conceals as easy as G19. Your size doesn't matter for concealment. Try the Phlster website. I have the Skeleton for my M&P 45C, and another on the way for G21. The most comfortable I've had yet!

Quote Originally Posted by B_2keys View Post
    Don't be scared away from white hat, they are not $125. They might have one that expensive, but you can get very nice basic models for $65, and even a very basic model for $45.

That said, I opted for a Tommy Theis holster and love it. Basically the same thing as the white hat, but a different maker.
    I needed a good holster for cheap at the time. Just got my CHL and needed to get a holster.

Also another plus for white Hat is that their kydex part is interchangeable. Say if you have a G17 and want to carry your Ruger LC9 (for instance) all you have to do is buy the kydex part of the holster for the Ruger and change them out. Just an extra thought for your decision making.

Quote Originally Posted by B_2keys View Post

I looked at the White Hat website and your definitely right, they offer what looks like some good base models for around 45 dollars with cowhide or 55 with horsehide. Still though can someone give me a comparison or answer as to why people are going with the bigger hybrid holsters with 2 clips spaced out, as compared to a smaller holster with two clips close together (summer special). Also is there a reason for leather over kydex apart from comfort? I know kydex would be stiffer and hold form (as well as love handles back), but will the part that seperates the back of the slide from my body do the same if its leather? Or do I chance that folding over and hampering my reholster? So many questions I know guys, hate to bug yall with them. Thanks for any answers I get!

Up front: I hate hybrids or plastic holsters in general. To your question; the longer spacing between clips more evenly distributes the weight of the gun and aides in stabilizing it on your belt. I own the SS 2 and love it. It rides great, is easy to conceal, it is a WELL designed holster(used with my 1911's full size). My Glock 20 is concealed in a Overland Gun Leather Axe. Larger than the SS 2 but is perfect for my G20. I don't like the clips and only use the snap loops. Why leather only? It forms to my carry position quickly and I just like the look and feel of real leather. As to holding form; any well made all leather holster will hold its form as long as plastic will. Its a personal choice that you will develop over time. Best of luck in your search.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links