IWB clothing

This is a discussion on IWB clothing within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I have been walking and working around the house, trying to get an idea of what it will be like to carry IWB. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: IWB clothing

IWB clothing

So I have been walking and working around the house, trying to get an idea of what it will be like to carry IWB. I know now that I will have to go up a pant and shirt size, I have no problem with that. My question is how much of a difference will a IWB hybrid holster make? My pants with just my G17 slid into place between me and my pants are just tight enough to be comfortable but I worry about adding a holster. Going to a next size up will be way too big so that isn't really a choice. Im hoping that the holster wont make too much of a difference because just having it there with my belt holding it in place is perfect. Any help would be great guys, this might be the most asked question in the world but I figure ill ask it again.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I'd get the holster you want to start with and see how it goes with your current pants size first since a lot of this is going to depend on how your pants fit now. If you are on the loose side, then you will probably be fine. If your pants are normally tight, then you will probably want to move up a size. Any holster is going to add some girth to your waist but there's no hard and fast rule about how much it's going to affect your waist size.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Best thing to do is wear your holster when you go shopping for pants. That's what I did so there would be no doubt whether it would work. The hybrids are not too much bigger than just the gun itself but if you are at critical mass now, with just the gun, it may be too tight. What kind of belt are you going to use?
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

“Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny”
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    I'd get the holster you want to start with and see how it goes with your current pants size first since a lot of this is going to depend on how your pants fit now. If you are on the loose side, then you will probably be fine. If your pants are normally tight, then you will probably want to move up a size. Any holster is going to add some girth to your waist but there's no hard and fast rule about how much it's going to affect your waist size.

Bingo . Some holster are very thin and dont add much girth but some I have tried depending on the clip setup were a bit chubby.

I would start by looking at the companies that offer free returts if your holsters dont work . I say that cause some people ( myslefe inculed ) just cant wear iwb or can only wear one holster type. That one for me is remora it is the only iwb that I have found that I can wedge in my pants due it not having clips or metal ( long story ) . I would need to wear a larger pant to carry iwb and due to looking like a gangbanger in a larger size I cant do that so I really only carry owb /pocket or iwb remora ( I hope to find a iwb that would work someday some of the galcos are close ) . IWB is really much more indivudal choice then other carry size I think . So most people ( me inculed ) have boxs full of holster that dont work or work but are a pain to put on
    ShooterGranny likes this.

I carry a G27 and also a Kahr PM9. I carry both in Wild Bill's covert IWB holsters. I did not need to make any adjustment in pants size. Belt, for the Glock, is won notch out. I can carry either one with tee shirts or polos out or tucked in. I am not a big guy, 5'9, 180.

I have looked at OWB but Arkansas is not an OC state so I worry about it ever eventually showing. I would rather deal with some printing than some showing I think. If Arkansas ever goes OC ill prolly go OWB just for the comfort. Its not so much that OWB printed more, just more worry of showing. Solid advice on getting the holster and then going pant shopping. That's prolly what Ill do. I absolutely cant stand baggy clothes ( not loose mind you), I just don't like lookin like someone from thugnation. So it should be interesting to try all this out. Thanks for the info guys.

The holster can actually take up considerable space. The holster first adds some thickness around the gun, but it also extends beyond the gun itself. So if you figure on adding 2" for a gun and holster probably about 3/4" to 1" of this 2" is for the holster. Now if your pants were fitted with your shirt inside the belt, but you plan to wear untucked to conceal the gun you pick up quite a bit of space here as the shirt, while not usually very thick, extends completely around your waist.

And it seems sizing in pants are not real consistent, so best to try on new pants with your rig in place.

Trying to properly conceal a G17 is going to seriously reduce your activity options. The G17 is a fine duty sidearm, but it was certainly not made for concealed carry.

Perhaps a 'shorter' carry like a J-frame revolver as appendix carry or even a M&P Shield at 4 O'clock. A CC should not overly restrict your daily movements.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Quote Originally Posted by patri0t View Post
    Trying to properly conceal a G17 is going to seriously reduce your activity options. The G17 is a fine duty sidearm, but it was certainly not made for concealed carry.

Perhaps a 'shorter' carry like a J-frame revolver as appendix carry or even a M&P Shield at 4 O'clock. A CC should not overly restrict your daily movements.

Yeah I did not want to say this but this is true . This is really a owb or duty gun . Can you get a 19 ? or a 26 glock or somthing smaller if so then your options are a lot more . The 17 is a fine fine gun but made as a open carry cop gun not for carrying concled imop. The 19 or esp the 26 oh yes they were made for that . And you could always carry the 15 or 17 rounds mags if you are worried about loseing round count.

With a gun that big you will need to think though a lot of what you do ( how you sit , bend etc etc) with a handle that big cant and shirts come into play alot .

I would say that trying to get somthing smaller if you can would be a good options esp if you have not iwb before. Maybe just owb the 17 when it is winter out in a nice galco shoulder rig or some nice side holster with a winter coat on..

I say all this esp if you are in sate like Fl or such where you can get into problems if you piece shows .. Just saying .. It can be done but it will be tricky ..

See here is the sizing g17-all-model-sizes-fullsize.jpg 17 to 26 .

Since I am retired and no longer have to tuck a shirt in. This spring i think i am going to invest in a half dozen Hawaiian Shirts. Those wild colorful patterns you could probably conceal an S&W 500
    If you can, always carry, you can't choose the moments, they choose you. - Colion Noir (2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Kennydale View Post
    Since I am retired and no longer have to tuck a shirt in. This spring i think i am going to invest in a half dozen Hawaiian Shirts. Those wild colorful patterns you could probably conceal an S&W 500

That or this normal_new-guns-2010-000012.jpg maybe double holster ...

You can carry a 17. I carried a 31 for awhile. Still carry a full size M&P 9. All IWB.

To me, it's all about the holster. I am a Milt Sparks guy from the word go. I carry my M&P in a horsehide SSII. It causes no trouble.

If you want to carry your 17, there are plenty of ways to do it. Tons of guys carry 17s, 22s,.and 31s. All three of which are more or less the same gun so far as carrying them.

The answer depends on the gun, holster, and person. I'm 6'-2" and 220 lbs. I do not need a larger pants size for a G19 in a hybrid holster. I almost always wear jeans and they stretch a little after a while. With thinner single stacks it becomes even less an issue. I don't find the need for larger shirts either, regular fitting shirts do just fine. With a good holster and belt, minimal clothing adjustments are typically needed.

As already stated, a G17 is on the large size for concealed carry, so you may find it a little more challenging. A G19 or G26 would certainly make it easier and compliment your G17 well, just something to consider.

As said above, get the gun, holster, and belt. They may fit just fine in your current trou, or they may not. If not, go shopping and try it in the fitting room. If you've got an IWB with clips or snap loops, it's easy as pie to swap back and forth as you try new pants.

BTW, JCP (and others) make some great dress pants with concealed expandable waistbands.

Quote Originally Posted by FosterEDC View Post
    I absolutely cant stand baggy clothes ( not loose mind you), I just don't like lookin like someone from thugnation.

I can't imagine one size larger would move you into thug nation. The decision to carry a gun on your person changes a lot of things and you will absolutely have to dress around your gun. I'm 6'4" and had a 32 inch waist but was moving toward that being a tad snug so when I got my CWP I more or less switched over to 34's.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    Friends don't let friends wear fanny packs!!!

Divide post count by days since joining and learn something about the poster

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links