My new OWB

This is a discussion on My new OWB within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been wanting a nice leather OWB for comfortable all day in house carry. I prefer IWB when I need good concealment, but it's not ...

Like Tree12Likes
  • 3 Post By NightOwl76
  • 1 Post By Chad0724
  • 1 Post By SnoMan97
  • 1 Post By NightOwl76
  • 1 Post By Chad0724
  • 1 Post By NightOwl76
  • 1 Post By rednichols
  • 1 Post By patri0t
  • 1 Post By NightOwl76
  • 1 Post By RETSUPT99

Thread: My new OWB

My new OWB

I've been wanting a nice leather OWB for comfortable all day in house carry. I prefer IWB when I need good concealment, but it's not as comfortable and in the winter I'm wearing a jacket anyway when I step out.

So I ordered an Adams LeatherWorks pancake holster with matching mag pouch and belt, and received it yesterday (just under 8 weeks.)

So far I am loving it. Comfortable, holds my Glock 19 close to my body, absolutely rock steady and good retention, and it looks great even though I went all black (Adams makes way better looking stuff, but I wanted something that wouldn't stand out if accidentally exposed.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    los, bigpapa and gatorbait51 like this.

2. Remove Ads

this is going to be the next thing i buy but i worry about how easy its going to be to conceal
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. – Gen James Mattis USMC

Nice looking rig. Congrats.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

“Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny”
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by cbirchem0724 View Post
    this is going to be the next thing i buy but i worry about how easy its going to be to conceal
    With this particular holster, the tip of the holster just touches the top of the back pocket in my jeans (when wearing at around 4 o'clock.) An untucked flannel shirt hides it fine if I'm standing around, and my jacket hides it really well. In my rather inexperienced-with-owb opinion, for concealment the main problem is ensuring that the gun stays tightly against the body, and the second issue is how low it rides. I think the pancake design does a great job of holding the gun tightly in. As for how low it goes, that'll depend on the holster design (you can certainly get holsters that ride higher), the barrel length of your gun, and also what clothing you intend to wear with it.

I also tried but didn't like the outside-pants-but-inside-belt holsters, IMO you get the worst of both worlds with those...the concealability of OWB with the comfort of IWB.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I plan to use OWB in the winter if im going somewhere i know i wont need to remove my jacket and IWB in the summer with shorts and a tee shirt
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. – Gen James Mattis USMC

Wanted to add: great CS, I changed my mind on the color and they responded promptly and got it done exactly as I wanted. And I figured I'd include a link: Adams LeatherWorks - Makers of quality leather holsters, tutorials and other cool stuff!

If I ever start OCing, I'm so getting one of those engraved beauties...
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I see a lot to like in that set :-)
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Red (Richard) Nichols

I usually used a high-ride holster (not much below the belt to show) or a shoulder rig for off duty carry so as not to frighten the dainty folks out there.
    Last Friday, American University was locked-down for 1.5 hours, because someone reported seeing a piece of holster (similar to above) on a bus.
    It turned out to be an off-duty LEO.

Myself, I refuse to carry in an OWB in public, except at a range & such. In some jurisdictions where 'Open Carry' is not yet legal, showing a piece of holster is a crime, even if it is accidental or the wind happens to blow unexpectedly. Then the citizen is charged with a serious gun crime. (risky stuff & no more CCW permit)
    I live in an open-carry state & still won't tempt fate.
    Stupid stuff happens.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Distinguished Member Array BlackStallion29's Avatar
    Good looking rig for sure. Even though it is an OWB, I think I'd still want the body shield covering the slide.
    "Everybody gets knocked down in life. How you choose to get back up is up to you!"
    *NRA* *BFA*
    *GOA* *SAF*
    *NAGR*

Quote Originally Posted by BlackStallion29 View Post
    Good looking rig for sure. Even though it is an OWB, I think I'd still want the body shield covering the slide.
    It might not be very visible in the photo but the slide is fully shielded on the body side.

I used to only pocket carry or IWB carry depending on the gun of the day. Once Texas made legal accommodations for accidental exposure, I decided to get a high ride OWB pancake holster for my little 642 snub. Based on my first couple of months carrying in that manner, I should have done it years ago.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Here's a picture without the gun so you can see the slide guard.

As for accidental exposure, as I mentioned I intend to use this rig primarily at home (I work from a home office so a comfortable all day rig is important). I normally wear dark jeans and a dark base layer under an untucked shirt, so the black leather ought to attract little attention if accidentally flashed. Even then, I wouldn't step outside the house with this rig without wearing a coat long enough to keep it completely covered. I have a nice IWB setup for when I can't or won't dress like that.

And if all of that fails, Ohio is an open carry state. So I'm not worried about the legal implications of an accidental uncovering. I just prefer CC.

bigpapa likes this.

Good looking holster set, and if it holds your Glock 'high and tight', all you'll need is a little larger T-shirt or a print shirt and it will disappear.
    I have relied more on the OWB hoisters I have because they are JUST a bit more comfy, but just as easy to conceal.
    bigpapa likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

That's what I do I order an owb holster but I will have a long shirt still over it.
    Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 30s, Gen4 G27, Gen4 G29
    XDm .45 ACP 4.5
    Remington 870 Tactical Express 18'
    1972-2000 U.S Army Veteran, MSG

Links