Review of Brigade Gunleather M-11 Hardcore

This is a discussion on Review of Brigade Gunleather M-11 Hardcore within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had once handled a Brigade Gunleather M-11 holster as part of a trade that fell through, but I knew then that I wanted one ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Woodtroll
  • 1 Post By BlackStallion29

Thread: Review of Brigade Gunleather M-11 Hardcore

Review of Brigade Gunleather M-11 Hardcore

I had once handled a Brigade Gunleather M-11 holster as part of a trade that fell through, but I knew then that I wanted one for my own 1911. Back about Dec. 2012 I put myself on Troy Harp’s “wait list”, as he wasn’t accepting orders then because he was trying to cut down on his backlog and wait time. Around the first of March I got an email that I could place an order, so I sent in an order for an M-11 Hardcore and an M-20C magazine pouch.

Brigade Holsters- M-11 Hardcore Ultimate IWB Holster

Around the first of November I got an email that the holster was going into production, and that my credit card would now be charged. About a month later, this shows up in the mail!:

I was as impressed with the workmanship on this one as I was the one I handled a couple of years ago. The gun fit perfectly, and the adjustable tension screw allowed me to set the tension just the way I wanted it once I got it under my belt and tightened in. The leather is a little softer than some holsters I’ve had, and has an oil-type finish rather than the harder acrylic-type finish some makers use. This holster sits very comfortably for me; the cant brings the butt forward, and the design of the holster really gets the butt tucked in tight against my body, but not uncomfortably so. This makes it conceal very well, even under a fairly light shirt of an appropriate slightly-large size. I have included some pictures with this holster along with my Milt Sparks Nexus for comparison. Two things I would change about the Nexus are the lack of a full body shield between the hammer and beavertail, which makes parts of the gun rub parts of my generous waistline, and the fact that it sits low in the belt with a single layer of leather, which makes it hard to reholster sometimes. The M-11 sits slightly higher, is a little thicker than the Nexus due to the double layers of leather and the reinforced mouth, but is by far the easiest IWB holster to “find” and reholster with that I have ever owned. I like to practice concealed-carry draws for a few minutes at least once a week when I can to keep the “muscle memory” fresh, and this holster really makes reholstering easy. The sacrifice is that the M-11 is, indeed, slightly thicker and therefore can be a little harder to conceal than the Nexus, especially (I would think) on a slim person. Fortunately, I don’t have the too-slim-to-conceal-a-big-gun-problem!

Here is the Brigade M-11, with the Nexus for comparison. You can see that the M-11 is a little bigger holster, the belt loops sit wider (which is fine on my wide waist!), and the gun rides a little higher but at a similar cant:

Here is a rather poor attempt to show the mouth of the two holsters, to compare the design and thickness:

So, is the M-11 Hardcore worth the wait? I think it is! Troy doesn’t charge your card until he’s ready to build, so you are not out anything, even a deposit. I know that wait times have been years-long in the past and have caused some frustration, but he is working on making the wait time more reasonable. I can honestly say he was very responsive to my inquiries and patient with my questions; I just think he is a fine person to deal with. I don’t trade guns around a lot, so I know that I will be using the same gun a year from now, and the wait doesn’t bother me. Troy is also a sponsor of this board, for those who like to pay back favors!

I see this M-11 holster being my every-day carry holster most of the time, although the Nexus will still have its place in my light summer wardrobe- it really is the absolute best at deep concealment (on my body style), but at some sacrifice to comfort and reholstering as noted above.

Hope this helps someone else! Y’all take care,
    Regan
    CowboyColby likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Nice looking holster

Great looking holster.

Their holsters are a work of art.

So simple, yet so detailed.

Distinguished Member Array BlackStallion29's Avatar
    Beautiful holsters, but I prefer an open muzzle.
    5lima30ret likes this.
    "Everybody gets knocked down in life. How you choose to get back up is up to you!"
    *NRA* *BFA*
    *GOA* *SAF*
    *NAGR*

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Looks like a very well made holster! Is it bulky to wear?
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Sponsor
    The M-11 IWB Gun Holsters are definately not bulky. Does everyone know what a Desert Eagle .50 Cal is? I think most folks know it is a monster and I believe it is the worlds largest semi auto handgun. A customer of mine begged me to build him a concealed carry holster for that pistol so I custom designed one for that size, including an IWB pouch. The gun is a monster, heavy and thick and long however, I myself was completely surprised at how well it conceals under a simple T-shirt with jeans. I am not a large person but the gun carrys so tight to the body and the weight of the pistol was no issue at all. I couldn't beleive how well it concealed but more surprisingly was at how comfortable it was. I could literally carry that all day if I wanted.

I honestly don't know if the customer will use this for everyday carry. I do know he emailed me a very nice email describing how comfortable it is and how concealeable it is... To each there own I guess as to what you carry. I prefer my 1911 or sometimes my Beretta.

Brigade GunLeather maker of custom holsters
    www.brigadegunleather.com

Custom 1911 pistolsmith Custom 1911 Pistols
    www.harpcustom.com

troyharp@brigadegunleather.com

Please contact me via phone or email for any leather holsters status or questions, thanks. 1-888-600-2377

Sponsor
    Not all of Brigade GunLeathers concealed carry holsters will have a closed bottom. It depends on the gun model and size.

Here are a few examples:

Brigade GunLeather maker of custom holsters
    www.brigadegunleather.com

Custom 1911 pistolsmith Custom 1911 Pistols
    www.harpcustom.com

troyharp@brigadegunleather.com

Please contact me via phone or email for any leather holsters status or questions, thanks. 1-888-600-2377

Quote Originally Posted by 5lima30ret View Post
    Looks like a very well made holster! Is it bulky to wear?
    I do not find it bulky at all- it looks bulky in my picture of the mouths of the holsters, but blends in just fine with my every-day wear; when I'm not in my station uniform I'm usually wearing BDU pants, a t-shirt, and a flannel or thin cotton shirt, usually buttoned but sometimes not. I think the M-11 would be just fine with a long, slightly loose t-shirt, too. It is very comfortable to wear, and after several days of use I fully expect it to be my carry holster 90% of the time.

I honestly was expecting an open-muzzle holster, but when I wear this one I find that the extra leather around the muzzle helps "blend" the holster underneath my pants, and keeps the muzzle from poking into my hip muscle.

As you might expect, this holster may not fit everyone as well as it fits me. I'm a tall guy with a heavy torso, arms and shoulders, and with some extra weight around my waist, but this holster does indeed ride comfortably and conceal well for me.

Links