Hybrid holster question

This is a discussion on Hybrid holster question within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm new to CC (on person). When I had my CWL previously, I typically toted my gun in a Blackhawk concealed carry fanny pack. I'm ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By SHTFGearLLC
  • 1 Post By ViolentWorld
  • 1 Post By high pockets

Thread: Hybrid holster question

Hybrid holster question

I'm new to CC (on person). When I had my CWL previously, I typically toted my gun in a Blackhawk concealed carry fanny pack. I'm now carrying my Sig P250 in a Galco Trident kydex holster. I love the rigidness of the holster, and how it allows me to easily draw and re-holster my gun. The only thing that I don't like is that at the end of the day, I still have a piece of plastic pressing into my side. I've really been looking at some of the hybrid holsters, and feel that the wider leather piece on the inside would basically spread out that singular "pressure point". Now with seeing that MOST of the hybrid holsters are of the same overall design, my question is this....How do you all feel regarding the ones that are wider (front to back) vs the ones that are narrower? To me, it seems that the wider ones (i.e Alien Gear) would wrap mor around you, and sit a bit more naturally inside your pants, whereas the narrower ones (i.e. SHTF Gear) may cause a sharper bend in the waistband of the pants. Since I don't own one yet, I'd love to get some input regarding this. Or...perhaps I'm suffering from parallax error, and the pics from the websites make them appear to be different lengths/widths and there's really little or no difference at all.

2. Remove Ads

I have a Comp-Tac and a King-Tuk and they are very comfortable.

The most important adjustment is up & down.

Foxx is a decent brand to start with from Amazon.com
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Not sure what size P250 you are carrying but I think people forget holsters are relative to the size of the gun. I carry a shield in 9mm and feel like a hybrid holster is overkill for this gun so I have a IWB leather holster with sweat shield from McCabes holsters with a steel clip and that feels more than enough. If you are carrying a larger weapon IWB then by all means a hybrid is a good idea to distribute that weight and hidden hybrid holsters make some great ones.
    NRA Lifetime Member
    =“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” -George Orwell
    ="If you are more than 20 feet from your weapon while reading this thread you are doing it wrong." -Myself

@patri0t...I'm glad you said to look into FoxX. I like the way the Little Foxx looks. Similar to the N82 Tactical Professional holster (which they don't make for my gun). I think I may be ordering one of those. And with a 14 day test drive, and fast turn around...we'll see.

I too carry a P250. Both 9mm sc and .45 fs. I carry both in a White Hat Maxtuck as well as with their belt.

http://www.whitehatholsters.com/maxtuck/

Like the ability to change out the kydex easily, it's super comfortable, and retention is great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I would add Thies holster to your list of holsters to look at.

I truly appreciate everyone naming off brands to look into. But I'd really like to get some input as to how the wider or narrower width of the holsters (distance between the clips) felt while being worn. I understand that the wider the spread, the more it distributes the weight. But I do wear Spec-Ops Tactical suspenders....so the weight isn't an issue. I'm mostly just looking to have a layer of comfort that the all kydex holster doesn't quite have, for wearing all day.

And just an FYI....it is for a P250 Compact, in 9mm. So, it's not a huge gun...but it is a pretty decent sized one.

Sponsor
    Of course my response will be biased towards my product so keep that in mind.

Generally speaking, the larger the piece of leather on a hybrid the more uncomfortable it will be. A large piece of leather is a greater area of skin that has a material over that is essentially non-breathable.

The leather on a hybrid holster serves two critical functions. The leather between the fixed edges of the Kydex serves to buffer the pressure points of the gun and enclose that side of the holster. The leather beyond the Kydex only serves as a mounting point for the belt clips or loops. The clips need to be positioned far enough apart to provide the stability and weight distribution benefit of the dual clip design, but any further only adds excess bulk to the holster. That is why our holsters are designed as they are. Reduced bulk for increased comfort, while still maintaining the benefits of a hybrid holster.

-Clay

Clay,

Thank you for your answer. I can tell you that I truly appreciate the fact that you, as an artisan, took the time to explain your particular product. For that reason, I definitely foresee myself ordering one of your products. Again...thank you.

-Jared
    SHTFGearLLC likes this.

Hybrid holster question

I've got the Alien Gear holster for my Ruger SR1911 CMD. I'm only about 5'10" and 160 pounds and the gun is nowhere near too heavy, large, or uncomfortable for me when it's in the holster. And that's without a gun belt and without having to tighten my belt up to the point of being uncomfortable. The holster is very nice and well worth the wait, especially for the price.

As for the leather thickness, the Alien Gear is the only holster I've ever had, so I can't compare to another, but I feel like the thicker leather adds support, durability, and comfortability.

Quote Originally Posted by Azchief View Post
    I would add Thies holster to your list of holsters to look at.

+1. Tommy makes a great holster and his CS is top notch. Quick delivery too.

I have several kydex holsters from different makers (for different pistols) and I have found SHTF ACE-1 to be the most efficient of the ones I have. Typically, the wider holsters (Old Faithful & Alien Gear) are very comfortable, but because of their width, I find them much more difficult to put on and remove. The narrower ACE-1 from SHTF is every bit as comfortable, and is much easier, for me, to put on and remove. I wear my holsters at about 8 - 9 o'clock, and find I can wear the narrower SHTF quite comfortably in the car, while the extra width of the others make them less comfortable when I am driving.

While I do like the adjustable tension feature on other holsters, I feel the Kevlar stitching on the ACE-1 adds to the overall durability, and stability, of my holsters.

JMO - YMMV
    SHTFGearLLC likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Links