Galco quality

This is a discussion on Galco quality within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not having one in my collection already, I recently acquired an example of the Avenger-style holster I did for Galco in the early 90s. This ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Galco quality

Galco quality

Not having one in my collection already, I recently acquired an example of the Avenger-style holster I did for Galco in the early 90s. This example is new/unused.

Speaking to their quality (nothing to do with me) I feel compelled to point out the excellence exhibited by their choice of materials and their workmanship, using these pics of my new example:

galco avenger (1).jpggalco avenger (2).jpggalco avenger (3).jpggalco avenger (4).jpggalco avenger (5).jpggalco avenger (6).jpg

The first pic shows it on a NichoLaminate belt, the colour of which was chosen to match the "ideal" honey colour leather that became the Bianchi standard (no portion of the belt is leather). Galco's finish is perfection. Note they have perfected the method of stitching the internal sight rails from the OUTSIDE of the holster (which I taught them) while other makers were still stitching from the inside (where they can see the rail). Note the excellent moulding, too; my blue gun with exaggerated rail fits very well -- there will be no "breaking in" required of this holster.

The third and fifth pics show a perfect set of parallel stitch lines, with no hint of knots showing, and every stitch the same "ideal" (5 stitches per inch) length; and a perfect parallel-to-the-edge crease line.

The fourth pic highlights their perfect edge finish: sanded and rounded parallel to the stitchline, then polished but left "naked" -- not edge-coated in a colour. There is NO splitting of the layers.

The final pics contrasts the edge finishing of the leather holster with the all-polymer belt: both are polished to perfection, but the former requires skill and is time consuming, vs. the latter which is done entirely by machine in a single pass (so it's easy).

Few, if any, custom makers could match the quality of materials and labour exhibited in this Galco; or even know how, or that they should :-)

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I've had and do have a few Galco holsters, mag pouches, and dump pouches. All are top notch.

TOP NOTCH equipment. I've been using Galco Leather since 1979 or so.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Galco makes some good economical holsters. They often have the best holster for a particular sidearm.
    I sure have owned many brands over the decades. Lot of good brands out there.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Red, thanks for the insights. Galco is local (Phoenix area) and their products are quite available. So far I've only picked up a Yaqui Slide for its versatility, but considering their products fall into the "ready to wear" category, I take your comments as a high endorsement.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I have an Avenger, a Summer Comfort, and a Miami Classic II from Galco for my 1911 and love them all! Use them depending on how I am dressing, weather, length of time I'll be driving/riding/sitting, etc.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Galco has always produced very good quality products that I have used for years. +1 on the Yaqui slide, which is one of my favorites!
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    Wish I had my Miami Classic back.

I use my Galco pocket holster for my PF9 all the time, love it.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

OD*
    It is nice stuff, I have a couple pieces when Gallagher's company was still called "The Famous Jackass Leather Company."
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    It is nice stuff, I have a couple pieces when Gallagher's company was still called "The Famous Jackass Leather Company."
    Gallagher told me that he named the Jackass company after himself :-) While Bianchi was the quality leader, many/most of Gallagher's line was a knockoff of the Bianchi range. But since then, his company has set the new standard for quality of design and production. I suppose, as when Lotus 123 and WordPerfect dominated their respective software markets, the day will come when people say, "Bianchi who?"; I met a gunnie here who had a Ruger Practical Rifle but had never heard of Jeff Cooper . . ..

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by rednichols View Post
    suppose, as when Lotus 123 and WordPerfect dominated their respective software markets, the day will come when people say, "Bianchi who?"; I met a gunnie here who had a Ruger Practical Rifle but had never heard of Jeff Cooper . . ..
    Don't ya love gettin' old.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

I have an Avenger that my son seems to have claimed as an early inheritance, a paddle holster, and two Miami Classic shoulder holsters from Galco - my experience with Galco seems to say that they make a very good product.

JMB
    Do they make any for the M&P Shield? I couldn't find one on their web site.

Thanks

Nice looking holster!
    Wonder how that would carry with my full size 1911? It's a straight drop, isn't it?
    Certified Infidel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links