IWB

IWB

This is a discussion on IWB within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; IWB to be worn in the middle of my back for my BERSA THUNDER .380 I shoot right handed. should I get a left handed ...

Thread: IWB

Exclamation IWB

IWB
    to be worn in the middle of my back
    for my BERSA THUNDER .380 I shoot right handed.
    should I get a left handed holster. What would you
    have recommended. I ordered a Galco USA inside the pants
    was that a descent choice?

JOE CAMMARATA
    Last edited by Joe Cammarata; December 14th, 2006 at 04:41 PM.

Senior Moderator
    I have a question. When you draw from the small of your back is your bersa pointed at you.

If you answer yes, I would suggest that you switch to a strong side carry at about the 4:00 position. It would be safer in drawing your Bersa.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Cammarata View Post
    IWB
    TO BE WORN IN THE MIDDLE OF MY BACK
    FOR MY BERSA THUNDER 380 I SHOOT RIGHT HANDED
    SHOULD I GET A LEFT HANDED HOLSTER. WHAT WOULD YOU
    RECOMMEND.

jOE CAMMARATA

depends...IWB and SOB holsters are "opposite" sometimes. I like a RH holster with palm in draw. But some small of back fans like a palm out draw...this would more more of a LH design I guess...even though it's really made for a palm out right hand draw.
    try them both and see what is more comfortable for you. Like I said...I like palm in draw and I'm not really a fan of SOB carry so maybe I'm not the best person to answer the question

I carry a bersa t 380 daily, and use a desantis tuck this holster.

I carry strong side iwb with shirt tucked daily. It works for me no matter what i wear. I sometimes go untucked but always strong side iwb. It also has a pouch for a extra clip.

The desantis tuck this also comes with a different clip that can convert it to an iwb small of back holster if you choose. I personally don't like the small of back simply because it is not comfortable driving and makes me sit funny, and leaves an impression of the gun on the seat back. It just isn't practicle for me.

Take a look at them and see what you think. I am totally satisfied with mine, and if you get one and the iwb small of back doesn't work for you, you have everything you need to convert it to strong side iwb carry.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Yes, most people would use a left handed IWB for SOB unless it was a dedicated SOB holster.

The Tuck This holster is pretty decent, even though it has been panned. The problems with it relate largely to the fact that it uses a single J clip, which will and does cause the right to tilt over time. This is largely mitigated by a properly tight belt and, frankly, when carrying my Beretta 9000 IWB with the Tuck This, it is rock solid, but when I lock my firearm up in the car to go into a bar and leave the mag in my waist, it does tilt (and has even fallen out).

The other issue with the Tuck This is that it is a pain to reholster.

Having said that, I would give is a 7+ on a scale of 1 to 10 and with the low price of it, probably an 8+. However, I do agree with the above poster who says it sux SOB...most holsters do too though.

Try not to post in all caps it makes it hard to read and is considered yelling

VIP Member
    I won't get in to the MOB/SOB debate. If you are going to carry in the middle of your back, please seriously consider a holster made for that purpose that minimizes the chance that your gun points at you during the draw.

There are some excellent holster makers on this forum who will be glad to explain their MOB/SOB holster designs to you.
    Last edited by Thumper; December 17th, 2006 at 06:35 PM.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

MOB/SOB

Carrying a gun in the middle of your back is a stupid idea for another reason too, if you should fall onto your back you could sustain serious spinal injury. There are much better ways to carry such a small gun concealed.
    I'm a Marine and I have a rifle

Hold On There Spanky...

Quote Originally Posted by spanky68 View Post
    Carrying a gun in the middle of your back is a stupid idea for another reason too, if you should fall onto your back you could sustain serious spinal injury. There are much better ways to carry such a small gun concealed.
    I couldn't disagree more...
    Some may like or dislike SOB, but one should not critize the carry without the facts.

This horse has been beaten many times. I carry IWB/SOB a lot. I have also had thread discussions with 'doctors' who did not believe SOB carry was any more dangerous (for spinal injuries) than any other type of IWB carry. What if you fell on your side with a strong side carry...no injuries?
    I would ask that you post some articles or research showing SOB carry caused spinal injuries...

I'm not a cop, and I don't have to wrestle with perp's...SOB hides very well, and I can make a presentation pretty quickly...what's the problem?

I certainly respect your feelings, but your stated facts need research...

Respectfully submitted,

ret
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; December 13th, 2006 at 11:21 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Naturally as a holster-maker I get asked this alot.
    I do not advertise an SOB/MOB on my web-site but I have made them upon request. I will not make one in calvary draw/palm out that allows you to point the pistol at your own lower torso while drawing. Yes, I know there are proper draw techniques to avoid this, but even so...
    I personally find this mode of carry a bit slower on the draw than strong-side hip or appendix, but it does work for some people. A customer of mine who is a bodyguard for some high profile people swears by it. He finds it conceals better under a suit than anything else. And many females, who strong-side hip carry does not work for due to shorter torso and flaring hips, find this is the way to carry. A female realtor who is a customer carries her SW 3913 this way.

All this said, I offer this challenge, and I've posted it before with no response:
    Find me a documented case of someone being injured by falling on an SOB-carried pistol, and I will match each case you find with 5 cases of people being injured by guns without manual safties that could have been prevent if the gun had one.
    Am I knocking Glocks and Sigs? No, I carried a Glock for 14 years on duty with no problems and carry a Sig on duty every night now. And Yes, it's usually a training issuewhen these guns unintentionally go boom.
    But it's a situational awareness issue if someone falls or is pushed onto their holstered gun; also a training issue.
    Yes, the possibilty exists of falling and being injured carrying SOB; but
    I know lots of documented cases of guns going boom (like the one floating around last years of the officer whose jacket cord got caught in the triggerguard of his Glock when he holstered and went boom when he took his jacket off!) but I have yet to see an actually documented case of an SOB injury.
    So, how many of you have just knocked SOB carry (with no documented cases I can find, just the possibility) but are carrying a gun with no manual safety (with documented cases every year)?
    Does this mean we should not carry guns without manual safties? Hell, no! I will continue and so will everyone else. It means we should be careful with any piece of equipment we choose to carry.
    I'm off my soap-box now.
    Comments?, gripes?, complaints?...
    "He who makes things with his hands is a laborer, he who makes things with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who makes things with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist."
    www.garritysgunleather.com

I do not care for small of the back carry, I find it very slow compared to other methods. What is wrong with Ken L. Null's Gibson Covert worn just in front of the hips? It works for me. Regards, Richard

Joe
    Unless you must have a SOB holster I would recommend a quality IWB holster such as a Milt Sparks Versamax. I have recently began to carry a DeSantis Sky Cop Crossdraw holster and find it to be the most comfortable holster I have ever carried. It's about 25% faster than a SOB or IWB holster to draw and present to the target. The only downside is that you must wear a cover garment, which is pretty much a given anyway with concealed carry of a medium to large auto. I carry a Glock 23 and find either of the above ideal.
    Jim Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Garrity View Post
    So, how many of you have just knocked SOB carry (with no documented cases I can find, just the possibility) but are carrying a gun with no manual safety (with documented cases every year)?
    Does this mean we should not carry guns without manual safties? Hell, no! I will continue and so will everyone else. It means we should be careful with any piece of equipment we choose to carry.
    I'm off my soap-box now.
    Comments?, gripes?, complaints?...
    QFT!

Sponsored Links