My new WAY- OWB car holster

This is a discussion on My new WAY- OWB car holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK - a few days ago I posted on the Glock Nation thread that I ordered a Glock combat kydex holster to use in my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: My new WAY- OWB car holster

Distinguished Member

My new WAY- OWB car holster

OK - a few days ago I posted on the Glock Nation thread that I ordered a Glock combat kydex holster to use in my car and would post pictures when I got it and it was installed.

Well, I got it. And this morning Shooter Gramps and I did our usual "spat while we work" act in and around the front seat of my car, and now I have a "Way-out-of-the-waistband" holster which takes care of the very serious problem of not being able to access my gun through 3 layers of clothing and a heavy coat and a seat belt!

YES, where I needed it mounted required putting holes (more holes than screws, of course because that is how it worked out) in the very visible trim part of the car itself. Since I have limited physical arm movement ability, it had to be exactly where it would work for ME. However, since I don't trade vehicles if I can avoid doing so, I don't view this as a problem. If you trade every few years you probably wouldn't want to do this kind of an installation.

Here is what the holster looks like, mounted on the passenger side of the center console:

car holster 1a.jpgcar holster 2a.jpgcar holster 3a.jpg

and below is a picture of how I will grab it quickly while keeping my seated driving position and one hand still on the steering wheel. (I HOPE I WILL NOT EVER NEED TO!) car holster 4a.jpg

THE NEXT PROBLEM was how to construct a cover to hide the holster when I'm not in the car so it doesn't sit there and act as an invitation for a break in.

Gramps, being in a better mood now that the thing was screwed into place, grabbed a margarine container that I had been "saving for something" for about 8 years since we stopped eating margarine. So here is his "most excellent camouflage top hat" in place: Car holster 6a.jpg

YES - I will most probably figure something to cover the empty holster that looks a wee bit more professional than an empty margarine container --- but thought y'all might get a giggle out of our Wednesday morning "do it yourself project".

YES, I can open carry in my car in the state where I live. And, YES, I also have a hidden and attached Nano vault so at no time will there be a loose gun in my car. It will either be in its holster within my arm's reach or locked in the vault for the very few times I have to go in a building that is posted.

AND -- since I carry IWB year round, if this thing works well I will probably use it year round because it will also solve the problem of how to get to my gun with a seat belt and "only" one or two layers of clothing.

One more bit of information: Cost (so far): $14.99 for Glock holster ordered from Amazon.

So - guys and girls: Did you get sick to your stomach to see how I defaced my car? Or did you laugh till you cried when you saw Gramps' "top hat" camouflage? Or, do you think this project was a decent idea?
    los, bigpapa and Zralou like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

2. Remove Ads

Shooter Granny and I don't always see I to I when working together on projects,(Is this unique to our marriage) Anyway we got it done and its pretty neat. Now all I have to worry about is repairing the holes. Then again maybe I won't.
    los and pittypat21 like this.
    There is nothing better than getting shot at and missed. It's really great. Gen. James Mattis USMC

Looks like it will do the trick, maybe you could use it as a umbrella holder when your sidearm isn't in it.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

How about just covering it with a ballcap?
    ShooterGranny and StormRhydr like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

You should see some of the ways I cut up cars. Not much gives me more joy than a brand new vehicle and a sawzall or hole saw. Gotta put a big stereo in it, right?

Anyway, it looks great. Like he ^ said, just a regular hat should do the trick. Or go buy a real light, small jacket thats black and made out of a real thin material. That way if you go through a drive-thru you can cover the gun, or if you need to go in somewhere and need to leave the gun in the holster, it would be completely covered and not attract any attention from prying eyes. Would look like someone just left their jacket sitting on the center console. Nothing special to see here.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5lima30ret View Post
    How about just covering it with a ballcap?
    I thought that was a good idea so I checked the dozens of ball caps we have. Almost all of them are embroidered either: NRA; Range Safety Officer; Range Officer; Team Glock; or USMC - none of which would be very good for "pretending there is no gun in the car".

Then, finally, at the bottom of the pile in one closet I found a nice new soft-top beige one embroidered with the initials of an organization that is mostly environmentally focused, and has done some good (non radical) things locally. BINGO! I can hook it over the black poly cup shaped ash tray and it still covers the holster!!!!

And I don't care if it gets some ashes on the inside or gets a little smelly.

THNX for the suggestion!

(Gramps is hurt now that I will be replacing his margarine container )
    Last edited by ShooterGranny; December 18th, 2013 at 11:30 PM.

==================

Distinguished Member
    Chuck - thank you for taking the time to confirm the hat suggestion and to add the idea of a jacket. I think the hat will be better for my purposes:

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck808 View Post
    That way if you go through a drive-thru you can cover the gun,
    The only drive through I use is at our bank and I don't think the teller behind the glass can see into the car - and she is probably a shooter (or married to one) considering where we live.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck808 View Post
    or if you need to go in somewhere and need to leave the gun in the holster,......
    NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. Gun is either in the holster with me in the car or on my body or locked in the Nano vault. Period.

When the car is stopped and the seat belt off, it only takes a couple seconds to pull it out of the holster and tuck it into my IWB on my body. It takes more than "a few seconds" to lock the gun in the little vault but that happens only a few times a year.

==================

Granny, here's the hat you need that'll get you a pass when you need it -
    Attached Images
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Granny, here's the hat you need that'll get you a pass when you need it -
    Where I live that obummer hat might get all 4 tires slashed and my house burned down by the locals! (That's called mountain justice.)

==================

I love it, I wish ours state let us do something like that.
    ShooterGranny likes this.
    Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 30s, Gen4 G27
    Springfield XDm .45 ACP 4.5
    Remington 870 Tactical Express 18'
    1972-2000 U.S Army Veteran, MSG

Nice and simple.
    NRA Lifetime Member
    =“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” -George Orwell
    ="If you are more than 20 feet from your weapon while reading this thread you are doing it wrong." -Myself

Sometimes hidden in "plain sight" is the way to go.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGramps View Post
    Shooter Granny and I don't always see I to I when working together on projects,(Is this unique to our marriage) Anyway we got it done and its pretty neat. Now all I have to worry about is repairing the holes. Then again maybe I won't.
    That has to be a Marine Aviator thing...............Mrs Chorizo and I have a few "crew coordination" issues on joint projects also.

Holster works for me. I did the same thing on the door panel of my F150 pickup. As for "ruining the resale" it doesn't make a lick of difference as you aren't going to get shinola for it out of the car leeches anyways.

I hide mine with an oversize plastic drink cup I got from Dickey's Bar-B-Que. That way I always have it for a free glass of Iced Tea when I go by a Dickey's!

Semper fi.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaman View Post
    Looks like it will do the trick, maybe you could use it as a umbrella holder when your sidearm isn't in it.
    That actually is not a bad idea Aquaman. Keeping a small collapsible umbrella handy that can be placed in the holster when it's empty may help disguise the holster.

Another trick may just keep a plastic grocery bag in the car that will cover the holster. A simple ball cap hung over the holster would work also. But, I honestly don't think the majority of people would know what they were looking at should they pass by and see an empty plastic thingamajig. Most people just may think some sort of newfangled cell phone holder.

-

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    That actually is not a bad idea Aquaman. Keeping a small collapsible umbrella handy that can be placed in the holster when it's empty may help disguise the holster.

Another trick may just keep a plastic grocery bag in the car that will cover the holster. A simple ball cap hung over the holster would work also. But, I honestly don't think the majority of people would know what they were looking at should they pass by and see an empty plastic thingamajig. Most people just may think some sort of newfangled cell phone holder.
    -
    Where I live at least 80% of the people would most definitely know it is a holster even at first glance! And the idea of a "small collapsible umbrella"......it would have to be a Barbie umbrella......this is a SMALL holster! I don't know if they make Barbie umbrellas, or not, but the soft ball cap works great. I used it today when I took a semi-crippled friend shopping for new jeans. (She didn't find any jeans that fit that she liked, but we had a nice time and she never knew what was under the ball cap.) I did have to keep the gun on my body for this car trip though.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

==================

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links