Wilderness 5 stitch or leather belt?

This is a discussion on Wilderness 5 stitch or leather belt? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been carrying for 3 years now using only a Wilderness 5 stitch belt. I have pondered getting a new belt recently and I ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By RoadRunner71
  • 1 Post By ghost tracker
  • 1 Post By Taurahe
  • 1 Post By SHTFGearLLC

Thread: Wilderness 5 stitch or leather belt?

Wilderness 5 stitch or leather belt?

I have been carrying for 3 years now using only a Wilderness 5 stitch belt. I have pondered getting a new belt recently and I am wondering if leather is a better choice. I have no complaints with the Wilderness belt and I love the adjustment I have with the velcro. I am also afraid of marring the finish of the leather belt with the metal clips on my IWB holster. I still wonder if the leather would provide better support.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

“Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny”
    Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Not all leather is created equal! Quality costs but it also lasts. A purpose-built leather gun belt from a quality manufacturer will do the job very, very well.

I run both nylon and leather depending upon my attire for the day. Both are good to go all day long.

I will say that I prefer my Wilderness with the Kydex insert over my 5-Stitch but I usually carry OWB. I haven't ever noticed a big difference when IWB.

As far as marring the leather, anything can be damaged if abused. My Beltman gunbelt has seen over five years of regular use and it looks well worn but not beat up.

That's my $.02.
    GlassWolf likes this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

VIP Member
    If you're looking for support it doesn't matter if you use a leather or material belt. Yes, the leather will get beat up by the equipment we use, but that's kind of the point of them. In the end it is just what you're wanting.

If you're looking for the most support then you're going to want a kydex lined belt- whether it is leather or the nylon types. For what it is worth, I wear a Wilderness 5 stitch about 90% of the time I'm not working.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

IMHO, quality leather gun belts don't "support" any better than quality nylon (reinforced, multi-stitched) gun belts. Leather gun belts do, however, offer a less "tactical" appearance & have a certain post break-in comfort. Some even offer a slight curve which, depending on your build, can be more comfortable. I have a Blackhawk Instructor model belt that I've used as log rigging with my tractor. You're NOT GONNA' break one.
    Taurahe likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    I have both and both have their purposes. For BDU or 5.11 pants I prefer the nylon instructors belt. For Carharts, Dickies, and jeans I prefer one of my (2) Dillon Leather belts (black & brown). For some reason I find the nylon belt harder to thread through Carhart type belt loops. Good luck!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

I love my wilderness tactical 5 stitch but as previously noted a leather belt provides a less tactical look. I think one of each rounds out a belt set quite nicely.
    5lima30ret likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

I'm usually in Levi shorts here in FL, and it's hard to beat the Wilderness Instructor's belt for support. I have several of them that have been around for quite a while, but are still as good as new.
    I just wish that they made them in dark brown...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    I love my wilderness tactical 5 stitch but as previously noted a leather belt provides a less tactical look. I think one of each rounds out a belt set quite nicely.
    I thought I'd post a photo of your belt for reference! Its pretty dang nice looking, I may have to get one myself.

Quote Originally Posted by RETSUPT99 View Post
    I'm usually in Levi shorts here in FL, and it's hard to beat the Wilderness Instructor's belt for support. I have several of them that have been around for quite a while, but are still as good as new.
    I just wish that they made them in dark brown...
    Do you use the Wilderness belt with the insert?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 4
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

“Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny”
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    I'll agree with this. I have a 5-stitch and a couple nice leather "gun" belts and wear accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by SHTFGearLLC View Post
    I thought I'd post a photo of your belt for reference! Its pretty dang nice looking, I may have to get one myself.

It is!! I have been very satisfied with it. My belt is going on a year old and shows little to no wear from carrying. I wear it everyday as well at work as it is the only belt I own. A good leather belt is next on my list....
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Links