What kind of leather is this Mitch Rosen Holster???

This is a discussion on What kind of leather is this Mitch Rosen Holster??? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It is VERY sift and pliable. I mean like calfskin soft. The other holsters in the rack that are the exact same stock number are ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: What kind of leather is this Mitch Rosen Holster???

What kind of leather is this Mitch Rosen Holster???

It is VERY sift and pliable. I mean like calfskin soft. The other holsters in the rack that are the exact same stock number are a slick shiny finish and a lot harder.

This holster will close up after draw

People here at Sig Pro Shop not sure but priced same as the other cowhide 5JR Express models. Someone guessed ostrich or shark? Smells like cow to me

Ideas or guesses ??

2. Remove Ads

Might be elephant

Worth 75 dollars?

Are there multiple layers? It does have a bit of an elephant look, but 1) if it's elephant the price will seriously reflect that, and 2) Chrome tanned elephant is usually used OVER a veg tanned leather, especially since you're saying it's really soft (likely chrome tanned) in which case no respectable holster maker would let it touch the gun (corrosive to it) or make the whole holster out of it without veg tan leather supporting it underneath (too soft). And if it had veg tan leather underneath, it wouldn't be so soft and deform as easily.

It does have a bit of an elephant look...but those 2 things I say above make me doubtful. What is the pricing like? That may clear it up. If it's $200 then it might be elephant, though that's a waste of elephant if they made the holster out of just chrome tanned elephant like that, would use up some expensive leather and make for a crappy holster :(

Does not look like ostrich, ostrich leg, or shark in the slightest. Well, to be fair, it looks a little like shark, but the shark I've seen usually doesn't have the grain wrinkles nearly that deep, and the grain is more consistent (on that parts are much rougher than other parts). So I doubt shark. Price would also be reflective if it were shark too, it's expensive stuff.

I have seen some oil treated chrome tan cowhides that have that rough of a grain and are that soft, and would be similarly priced to normal cowhide as far as leather cost. But who would make a holster out of them is a mystery to me. Well...I actually did make a holster out of the exact stuff I'm talking about, but it was just for fun, I knew it would be a worthless holster and I pretty much threw it away not long after making it. Would have never tried to sell it to someone.

I'd pass if I were you. No matter how you slice it, someone screwed up. Even if it's something exotic, it was done wrong because it sounds chrome tanned only with no veg tan underneath, which is no good for draw or keeping your gun healthy.

Looks like one layer to me

It us very soft. Does close after draw. Very soft inside. It does retain but draw is very smooth

Dolphin
    Taurahe likes this.

99% Shark hide, you didn't mention if this is used or new? If it's used it may just be quite a bit more used and broken in than the other holsters on the rack. I've never seen anyone build a holster completely out of exotic hides because like was mentioned above often the temper and tan of the leather isn't correct for modern holsters. Granted you can make a holster out of say shark but it's got a similar consistency to suede or garment leather typically.

I'd give you almost 100% that it's shark laminated onto cowhide, the grain pattern is much more directional than elephant without any of the cross grain that elephant is known for. Is it worth $75? If it were new probably quite a fair bit more being full coverage exotic, used well new as well depending on how it carry's and it's condition. If it's that soft and flexible and new I'd be suspect, same for used however if it has enough retention for what you'd like and it doesn't appear to have any cracks or other failing then it might be worth it.

My biggest concern would be it being soft, it's a modern boned holster with retention based entirely on the boning. If it's been flexed excessively or worn allot or oiled etc, all can cause that floppy or soft issue. If it's new I'd say it's almost certainly been flexed by people handling it, and allot of folks don't realize that it shouldn't feel like a baseball glove and folding it over or flexing it a bunch is actually hurting the holster rather than making it better.

Either way probably worth the money if it retains your gun properly and carry's well, the hide itself should hold up to a bunch of abrasion wear without really showing it, so if it's well built it's likely going to last a very long time.

Take care!

Luke
    CLASS3NH likes this.
    I am the owner/proprietor of www.adamsholsters.com Custom holsters made for you. To contact me please use E-mail rather than Private Messages, luke@adamsholsters.com

Distinguished Member
    don't really look like shark to me, does it feel like worn fine grain sand paper?

why don't you call Mitch?

as for the softness, is it used ? perhaps someone put Neats foot oil/mink oil on it and made it too soft. if that is the case then the holster is ruined and that may be the reason for the low price on exotic skin holster.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

It's brand new from Mitch Rosen at the Sig pro shop

Quote Originally Posted by technomonster View Post
    don't look like shark to me, does it feel like worn fine grain sand paper?

why don't you call Mitch?

I did send them an email with the pics

I've got a couple hides that are a spitting image of it laying in my shop right now, I still stand by it being shark hide;)

Luke
    multistage likes this.
    I am the owner/proprietor of www.adamsholsters.com Custom holsters made for you. To contact me please use E-mail rather than Private Messages, luke@adamsholsters.com

VIP Member
    Baby gorilla....
    Taurahe and CIBMike like this.

Quote Originally Posted by luke213 View Post
    I've got a couple hides that are a spitting image of it laying in my shop right now, I still stand by it being shark hide;)

Luke
    Fair enough. It doesn't look like the shark I've seen, but there's a lot of sharks in this world, so if you've got some that looks like that, then that's good enough for me. Shark it is.

There's still issues though. The big one being that he said it seems like 1 layer on each side (as opposed to 2 layers on each side, 1 veg tan cow and 1 shark) which might mean it's just chrome tan leather against your gun, in addition to it being really soft for a holster. The soft is livable as long as it draws well, but the chrome tan against the gun not so much from the eventual corrosion.

Guess we really need to figure out if there's some cowhide on the inside there...seems like that's where the difference will lie.

Not to be the doubting danny.... but does it matter what it is made of? If it doesnt perform well for its intended role, it is useless. Shark, elephant, or roswell alien hide ... iof it doesnt work it is worthless. With that said, im not a leather expert but it looks like its possibly shark.... or ovely worn moo cow...either way I wouldnt buy it.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

I have some black elephant hide cowboy boots and a D.M. Bullard holster in Brown Tiger Shark. It looks closer to elephant hide to me. Mich Rosen holsters are in the $ 145 range for plain leather and $200+ range for exotic leathers.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.

NRA Endowment Life Member.

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links