A few questions about carrying for a portly/big guy in Texas.

This is a discussion on A few questions about carrying for a portly/big guy in Texas. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am getting my CHL soon enough, am having a hard time finding advice on holster recommendations for a portly/big guy in Texas. Please bear ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: A few questions about carrying for a portly/big guy in Texas.

A few questions about carrying for a portly/big guy in Texas.

I am getting my CHL soon enough, am having a hard time finding advice on holster recommendations for a portly/big guy in Texas. Please bear in mind that a M&P 9c is going to be my carry piece, that I am located in Texas where it's hot and humid for a good portion of the year, and that comfort and great concealment is paramount. So here it goes:

1) How much harder (or easier) is it for bigger guys to conceal carry effectively, and what are things to look out for when looking for holsters?? I figured that a thicker holster and gun isn't going to help, but want further clarification in this regard.

2) How many of you guys have a light mounted on your carry piece, and how many do you guys don't have one but carry a flashlight around?? Please explain the reasoning behind why you guys do either.

3) What do you guys think of the N82 Tactical holsters?? They seem to fit the bill when it comes to what I'm looking for, but any other recommendations would be appreciated.

P.S. I am always wearing dress shirts when out and about too.

2. Remove Ads

N82 fan here.
    No tac light on gun, but carry a 4" tac light in a backpack off body
    Like wearing a sportscoat jacket, though a bit manly, covers the firearm very well easy to sweep and deploy. Single breasted works best.

5'6", 210 here. i carry 5" Range Officer .45 IWB with jeans or dress slacks using Theiss holster and a good, thick 511 gun belt at 4:00 position.

Hi there fellow portly man . I am too a bit portly so I know your pain.

1. I have found that in some way we have lets say more material to hide a gun with on us. However it does make it more interested as some holster will nudged more into you. Also it will make it more ttricky to find a good IWB hoslter I went though a few. That said if you can wear one size larger and look ok it really helps a lot ( I dont look good one size larger so I dont ). My advice is try out a number of hoslters see what works many makers do have money back gurent on these. I know white hat hoslter are made in TX. I cant really recommend a brand . I try and did not like crossbreed but that is another good one . I have only used remora holsters.
    2. I dont have light on mine , it adds a lot more bulk and slower to draw imop. And unless I am going out at night or near night I dont carry a flashlight , mostly as my phone has a one built in that works for most things , but at night I have a fenix with me .
    3.I do not have the n82 but have heard good things about it and plan one it when money allows. So I say try it . Most people end up with a box full of holsters.

4. I normal just pocket carry when I wear dressy as I am normal having a glass or two or wine and it is easier to take the gun out when I go to have a glass ( I dont drink and carry).. But if daily dress the n82 looks good . Also shoudler holsters would be good here kinda of made for fancy dress imop.

Good luck
    DrDP6 likes this.

My holster of choice for my M&P40c is the Bianchi Model 135. I have been wearing it pretty much daily for the past year, it is very comfortable and tuckable when needed. I'm 6/2, 240.

I never, ever have a light mounted on my EDC firearm. Yet I (almost) always have a Streamlight AA ProTac flashlight on my person. There are plenty of things I might need to illuminate, there are considerably fewer things at which I wish to point a loaded gun. And IMHO, there's very little practical speed lost in the event that I have the need to combine the two.
    WrongRecroom and crcr3399 like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I carry a Kimber Ultra carry 2 in a Wright leather works Predator holster. Wright makes GREAT holsters. Very high quality and very comfortable. Carrying in the Texas heat has been an issue, but like anything, you get used to it.

Before I had my Bariatric Surgery in 2009, I was well over 300 pounds so I totally understand your situation and I live here in sunny, muggy south Florida. BTW, I now weigh just about 175. Anyway, back then I always carried in a CROSSBREED Super Tuck Deluxe (CrossBreed® Holsters) but no mounted light. I still use the CROSSBREED now that I'm thinner. Just so comfortable and fast.

I ALWAYS carry a 600-800 dual mode surefire or stream light which is very handy as a means to find lost keys in movie theaters or under dinner tables in a restaurant. Tough to do this when your light is under a barrel! Additionally, the light can serve as a major distractor in a dark parking garage when used with the strobe. It's a good impact weapon as well and a crenelated head acts as a good DNA gatherer. You want to be careful in using a gun mounted light outside the home as it violates the first rule of gun safety and probably a few others as well. When you are illuminating a possible (but as yet unverified) threat you are also using deadly force at the same time, even if you aren't pulling the trigger. A sudden movement in your peripheral vision could have tragic consequences if your trigger finger isn't extremely well controlled.

I have a light (StreamLight TLR-4 laser/combo) mounted on my H&K P30 9mm that I use as my Home Defense weapon. I can do that now that my daughter is no longer living at home and having sleep-overs etc. Of course, this has been true for many years now. Now that it's just my wife and I and the pets, having a mounted gun light makes sense.

I think it's a bit easier to CC a firearm (especially a full sized gun like a Sig P226) if you're bigger, but getting it out fast can be an issue if your cover garment has to be very large, to cover your frame. And forget ankle carry. If I had to bend down and get up fast or try to draw from the ankle when I was big, I'd have been toast. I could never carry in a shoulder holster when I was REALLY big because my arms were shorter than could be useful in crossing my chest to draw. But this is a really good option, too. I carry one of these for my S&W M642 air-weight 38sp. SneakyPete I don't really like the N82 because you have to slightly twist the gun to get it out and that's asking to overcome a lot of muscle memory for myself. One snag and you're dead. That's also one reason I don't use a SERPA retention holster when carrying concealed.
    DrDP6 likes this.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I always carry iwb and recently owb at about 3:30-4:00. My iwbs are a Theis and a safariland model 18. I just got a bianchi remedy owb and I love it. My usual carry gun is a M&P 9c.

I'm a very large guy (waist, not height) and find it very easy to conceal a weapon because I usually wear my shirt untucked. Obviously owb are more comfortable but low riding iwb are very comfortable for me. I have many different custom holsters and my edc is a g30. I picked up a Tuck-able Holster - Leather - Ace Case when I needed to tuck my shirt. It is the most comfortable iwb I have. I was always weary about the soft holster but I use it quite often and it is the most concealable and no secure issues. Also, I just got a Viridian c5l and ordered a custom kydex iwb from Dara Holsters. I bought the Viridian because it automatically switches on when the gun comes out of the holster and off when you re-holster. You also have a choice of light, laser, or both. The holster looks great but I haven't worn it out yet so I'm not sure of its comfort. As a big guy, I don't find the iwb holster like the crossbreed very comfortable. I could imagine the sweat factor of those broad holsters in the Texas heat.
    It's hard to try holsters since many are custom, but leather flexes better than kydex. Also all my holster have a sweat shield on them for comfort. A good quality gun belt is the most important accessory regardless what holster you choose. Good luck with the M&P9c, not a bad choice to cc.

For the life of me, I can never figure why people think size has anything to do with carrying. Concealing pretty much comes down to how you dress. It is hard to do in the summer months in the south without looking like a dork.
    DrDP6 likes this.

VIP Member
    Size does matter in concealing a weapon. For example, appendix carry is basically not an option for those with large stomachs. "Love handles" with pants worn below them can hide a grip of a pistol carried IWB very well eliminating printing. However guys with big stomachs often wear their pants lower on their hips than thinner guys do and thus have to get longer shirts to keep things covered.

Your body type, no matter what it is, will make some methods of carry better than others. There is a best way, but it changes for every single person.
    DrDP6 likes this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    For the life of me, I can never figure why people think size has anything to do with carrying. Concealing pretty much comes down to how you dress. It is hard to do in the summer months in the south without looking like a dork.
    I pretty much agree with you, but there are times when it can be problematic to cc where the firearm or the means of carry is questionable. In my case, when I was really big, as I said before, the shoulder or ankle holster was out of the question because I was physically incapable of the draw. In the case of a really skinny guy wishing to cc a full sized gun in a horizontal shoulder holster there might be a "protrusion" issue from front to rear and in profile. Of course there is always the issue when the person cc'ing is female. That, too is usually a holster issue but firearm size and body type may also figure. I do agree about the cc'ing in the deep south. There have been times where I used a Belly Bag style holster to cc a Glock or other type of gun but usually I'd stuff a S&W M642 Airweight into my front pocket in a pocket holster or in a more recently discovered and aforementioned Sneaky Pete holster. That works well, but sometimes I like having more on tap than 5 rds of 38sp. Thank the Lawd for the CROSSBREED holster Super Tuck Deluxe.
    DrDP6 likes this.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Distinguished Member
    If you think figuring how to CC is a problem when you weigh a lot, try hiding a gun when you don't weigh a lot! Several women on this forum who are even smaller than I am have asked for help in finding something - anything except a purse - that would enable them to CC.

When I was 30 lbs heavier (a REALLY significant difference on my small bones) I could CC a much larger gun than I can now. Now I am pretty much limited to my Glock 26 or my j frame revolver - and the 26 works better for me because the hogue grip on the revolver sticks out more than the grip of the Glock. I cannot go smaller than that for gun size because no way can I shoot the mouse guns - yes, I've tried.

If you are so overweight that there is nowhere on your body which will work for you, AND if you have to wear tucked in dress shirts, seriously consider buying a very small gun for pocket carry. At least you will have a gun on you that way. ---- Just an idea........
    DrDP6 likes this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    If you think figuring how to CC is a problem when you weigh a lot, try hiding a gun when you don't weigh a lot! Several women on this forum who are even smaller than I am have asked for help in finding something - anything except a purse - that would enable them to CC.

When I was 30 lbs heavier (a REALLY significant difference on my small bones) I could CC a much larger gun than I can now. Now I am pretty much limited to my Glock 26 or my j frame revolver - and the 26 works better for me because the hogue grip on the revolver sticks out more than the grip of the Glock. I cannot go smaller than that for gun size because no way can I shoot the mouse guns - yes, I've tried.

If you are so overweight that there is nowhere on your body which will work for you, AND if you have to wear tucked in dress shirts, seriously consider buying a very small gun for pocket carry. At least you will have a gun on you that way. ---- Just an idea........
    I absolutely agree with the above advise. I used to CC whole different "kits " depending on climate , dress , and threat level . Equip yourself with the minimum gun / flashlight / knife load-out . Don't make the common novice error of thinking your security is enhanced by bigger/ more stuff to haul around - especially in a low threat , sweat bath area where you'll want minimal clothing. Yeah and I've fought the weight thing most of my life . Carry as little as possible because you'll end up leaving the uncomfortable stuff at home where it doesn't do no good !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links