I'm considering the 5.11 vest in the NRA magazine ad

I'm considering the 5.11 vest in the NRA magazine ad

This is a discussion on I'm considering the 5.11 vest in the NRA magazine ad within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The ad in America's First Freedom shows the NRA 5.11 vest for $69.95. It includes a free holster and magazine pouch ($23.90 value). I am ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar

Question I'm considering the 5.11 vest in the NRA magazine ad

The ad in America's First Freedom shows the NRA 5.11 vest for $69.95. It includes a free holster and magazine pouch ($23.90 value).

I am asking for anyone with experience with this vest to comment.

I understand that it is set up to be able to carry a handgun on either side, using a panel (to prevent printing and give a support base) that inserts into an inside pocket.

Is this vest suitable to be able to cover a gun worn at 3 o'clock on the hip in a Fobus paddle holster? I would want to carry a GLOCK 27 in this Fobus holster. I don't want to get the vest and find out that it does not come down far enough to cover the gun's muzzle, and that the only usefulness of the vest is if the inside pocket is used for carrying the gun. I have never used a vest that carries the gun, and while I might like that too, I want the option of hip carry.

Also, is the vest made specifically for NRA? The photo shows that it has an NRA logo embroidered over the left chest. Many consider this to be a giveaway sign that one is carrying a gun. Anyone have the black vest, and can say if the black-on-black logo shows up significantly?

I just found "5.11 Tactical" online -- apparently they are the company that makes the NRA version of the vest for NRA. (???) Should I just go through them?
    Here is a link to the 5.11 tactical vest, and it sure looks like the exact one the NRA offers. But the NRA version is offered in size L at $69.95 including the holster/mag pouch, while 5.11's site sells the vest for $74.95 and I don't see any mention of the holster insert, etc.
    Last edited by peacefuljeffrey; December 14th, 2006 at 04:00 PM.

These vests are suitable, like a fanny pack worn in front, to let everyone know that you carry a gun. If that's ok then it is a good purchase.

5.11 Vest

The following link has 5.11 vests for $39.99. It's the best price I've ever seen, except on Ebay.

http://aramark-uniform.com/style.htm...g&style=JA295#

I have two 5.11 vests (one khaki, one black). They are great for concealing an IWB holster or, to a lesser extent, an OWB holster. I have tried the nylon holster that fits inside the vest panels, and found it to be bulky and uncomfortable, particularly with a handgun with any weight. I removed the velcro panels in my vests to make it cooler and lighter.

The 5.11 vest works great for me in South Carolina in the fall, winter, and spring. When the temperature gets above 75, it's time for a lighter cover garment. The material in the vest is heavy, and it's double thickness in most areas. I have some other vests by Columbia Sports that are thinner and more comfortable, but I still wear the 5.11 alot. The 5.11 pants and shirts are comfortable, too. I wear them to work almost exclusively, and I'm not a LEO.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    My local Police Supply has the digital camo versions for $40 and the solid colors for $45
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Administrator
    NRA patch or not, the vest screams "man with a gun". I don't think the NRA patch is going to make a difference. There are a few other threads going now on the 511 vests, everyone that has one likes it.

Lead Moderator
    I have teh 5.11 vest. i have found most guns weigh down the concealed pocket alot. I just use my vest for a cover garment and other tools.
    My advice, don't buy the NRA package deal, just get the vest. Others here have for Smith and Alexander to be a good vest.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

As a cover garment, okay, but still a bit heavier and hotter to wear in FL, than most other styled vests. It is well made and has LOTS of pockets, Forget using the gun pocket/slot and velcro holster to actually carry & conceal a gun. Way too bulky and the gun weighs down the vest noticably on whatever side you use. I personally find my light weight vests much better. Just my 2 cents. I'd suggest SEEING one,BEFORE buying one. Wish I did.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    NRA patch or not, the vest screams "man with a gun". I don't think the NRA patch is going to make a difference. There are a few other threads going now on the 511 vests, everyone that has one likes it.
    Um, no, a vest doesn't scream gun to anyone in the general public and to only a limited number of gun folks and even then they are often wrong in their assessment.

Now, the NRA aspect will definitely alert folks that the wearer is a pro-gun person, and will confirm suspicions of gun folks that the vest is being worn for concealment reasons.

I like mine. If anyone comments on it at all, most just ask if I'm going fishing...I guess it screams "FISHING".
    "Take what you have with what you are, make something of it, and never be satisfied." G.W. Carver

Personally, I prefer a Cabela's safari vest over the 5.11.

The comments I get are typically "how was the fishing" or "are you a photographer?" Any day fishing is a good day, whether I caught something or not. And I am a photographer (amateur).

Sixto...Mine Must Be Defective...

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Aparently my 5.11 vest came without the 'recording device' in the pocket. Although I only wear the vest on cooler nights...not too many down here...I have never heard the 'recording' (Man with gun!) one time.

And, I have at times, spotted others with vests and tried to begin a conversation about CCW only to find out that they had no idea what I was talking about.....????????

Most wouldn't even suspect a BULGE to be a gun, yet alone what a vest might cover.

I would, however, not buy a vest with NRA logo...

By the way, Sixto...do you work an area near I-75? If the wife and I head to the North this summer to see my grandchildren, I'd stop and buy you a cup of java and share 20 minutes of conversation on the way!

OMHO on the vest approach...

Take care,

ret
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; December 20th, 2006 at 07:33 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I looked at the site and found out that you can order a vest without the NRA logo. I went on ahead and purchased one, w/o logo, with the intent of using it as a cover garment...like most, I'm not enamored with utilizing the velcro secured pockets with the "pocket holster". Maybe the pocket holster will come in handy if I have to use a fanny pack or something like that.

I have a Cabela's safari vest and it works well. Since Kansas is just now getting concealed carry, I've worn it to get family and friends used to seeing me in it.

So far, most of the comments have revolved around fishing, photography or hiking. Figure by the time the 5.11 vest comes in, folks will be quite used to me wearing some sort of over garmet like that.
    Last edited by JayHawker45; December 21st, 2006 at 09:08 AM.
    Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But, I repeat myself. ...Mark Twain: Manuscript note, c.1882.
    NRA Life Member & JPFO Member.
    Sig & CZ-aholic, a Ruger SP101 3" & Wiley Clapp GP100

A 5.11 vest tells everyone you might be a gun enthusiast.
    A 5.11 vest with a NRA logo validates that.
    Why advertise it?
    Why not just put a sign on the back of your car that says: I own guns and ammo, follow me home and I'll show you which home to burglarize.
    Always remember: 3 can keep a secret, if 2 are dead!

VIP Member
    Get a holster vest, it is dressy and looks like a western vest.

Levi's or similar denim vest, cut "tall" does well also, and offers a bit more variety in your wardrobe. Dave Spaulding had an interesting observation, in this month's GWLE:

Reviewing the new SigTac leather jacket, he said his wife commented, "Its nice seeing you in something that doesn't look like you're going to mow down everything in sight......" Hmmmmmm.

I don't see a problem with the vests, unless you're trying to wear one in an environment in which it is obviously not a "normal" style. Of course, with exposure, others become acclimated to your individual style, but that is more of a neighborhood/workplace affair.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links