New CC permit

New CC permit

This is a discussion on New CC permit within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Since I'm new to having my CC permit I'm now looking for advice on how/where people carry and which brand of holster you use. I ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Compa49
  • 1 Post By GH
  • 1 Post By ShooterGranny

Thread: New CC permit

New CC permit

Since I'm new to having my CC permit I'm now looking for advice on how/where people carry and which brand of holster you use. I will be carrying a Springfield sub compact XD9.

Thanks for any input you may have. As you read this I'll be reading and educating myself so your advice won't be gospel but it'll help with real life use.

Scott

There are so many choices out there and you need to decide how you think you want to carry. Then there is the question of quality and expense. Do you want something you can buy in a gun shop or store or something custom? Do you want to carry OWB, IWB, appendix, etc? If everyone starts telling you all the ways they carry and all the types of holsters they use you will be in a swarm of info.

But to answer your question, I wear IWB. I use an Old Faithful holster. I have a High Noon holster but it isn't comfortable for me. I also have a Stealthgearusa holster on order. It is another hybrid IWB holster. I am also looking for an OWB for when I can cover or will OC. I am thinking a Tucker holster for my OWB. I am also looking at getting a smaller gun. I currently have a M&P9c and am looking for something more concealable and will probably try a IWB by Garrett Industries.

Be ready to get more advice and info than you ever wanted.
    WrongRecroom and Jeanlouise like this.

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum.

If you provide some information: M or F? body size? (You don't have to be specific about height and weight, but the closer you come the easier it is for people to make helpful suggestions. Also, the questions asked by Compa49 above need to be answered so "we" can try to give you good advice.............Key word here :Try.

=====

As to how and where I carry -- I carry IWB all the time at home and away where it is legal to do so. (Well, not in the shower, but everywhere else at home) After you get used to the feel of having a gun on your body you really do feel naked without it.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

I have an xd9sc that i carry in a Galco King-Tuck but really dont find it very comfortable, i have a Shield that i carry in a Crossbreed and find it conforms to my body better aand is more comfortable, ithink its cause the Galco's leather is much thicker.

Welcome from Orlando FL...You can't go wrong with a Galco King-Tuck.
    "A free man is he who does not fear to go to the end of his thought."

Great choice and state .

How do you want to carry it ? I like to carry in either a remora iwb ( works great) or a Crown Holster Welcome to Crown Holsters! owb works good ( but will hide with a jacket).. Both open and concled carry are legal in NC so you have options . I like to have leather or the such on my iwb holster if they are touching skin is more commfy

It all depends on what you do for a living how you are built etc . Most people me include end up with a box of holster before finding one that works.

Many companies that custom make them will let you return them if they dont work .. Also check on that , holster are a very personal thing

If you drive a lot for work a shoulder holster might work too as they are easiest to draw from in a car imop ..

Galco and de santis are some of my fav main stream brands lots of choice there .

Distinguished Member
    Welcome to the land of good information and lively discussions.

Bill

hello and welcome to the forum from Milwaukee! I think if you spend any time browsing the forum (as I did when I first joined), you will find so much good information on almost any firearm-related topics here. Glad to have you here!
    Every day without a negligent discharge is a good day.

VIP Member
    Welcome,

To start with, I would probably go with an inexpensive paddle type Kydex holster. Adjust your clothing as needed.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Welcome. Like many people I have a pile of holsters that seemed like a good idea at the time. Not so much. It turns out there is too much of me IWB to carry IWB. So...I carry my Kahr CM9 in a pancake holster at the 2:30 position. Most comfortable for me. Obviously every one is a bit different. Other times I carry an LCP with my new lasermax (should have got the laser much sooner) in a Ramora pocket holster. In this crazy world I carry 98% of the time. Enjoy the forum it is a great site.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and 1946 Remington 12 gauge.

Hey guys, thanks for the input so far. To answer a couple questions, I'm male, 5'9" stocky build (is that just polite for a bit over weight?) I'm not sure how often I'm gong to carry, I can't at work so nights out or weekends. I like the idea of IWB and my buddy has recommended comp-tac. I'd like to find something I can test or try and wouldn't mind spending the money on a custom holster if it's the right fit. I've also read that a holster belt is the way to go as well.
    When you (generally speaking) carry IWB do you have to get pants that are bigger in the waist to allow for the gun?

GH
    There really is no way to test a holster short of buying it, Scott. You could ask your buddy if you could wear his for a day & at least it would give you an idea. Like many of us you'll probably find yourself with a drawerful of holsters, some good, some bad, some indifferent. At this time I've found that the cheapest holster I own, a Fobus Evolution paddle holster, is the most comfortable. That's an OWB & you're more interested in an IWB. I'm considering that the next holster I buy will be an IWB but at this time I have no problems concealing my M&P40 & 40C with any of them. I'm not sure that IWB would be comfortable to me. I'd like to have a holster that I could change the cant for the several different locations that I wear it on my belt depending on what clothes I'm wearing & where I'm going. Normally it's a sweat shirt or in the warmer months an untucked T shirt. My state is an open carry state & if I were to print a bit (I don't) it's no big deal.

Some holsters are all but useless unless a good stiff gun belt is also worn.
    WrongRecroom likes this.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by h8pvmt View Post
    Hey guys, thanks for the input so far. To answer a couple questions, I'm male, 5'9" stocky build (is that just polite for a bit over weight?) I'm not sure how often I'm gong to carry, I can't at work so nights out or weekends. I like the idea of IWB and my buddy has recommended comp-tac. I'd like to find something I can test or try and wouldn't mind spending the money on a custom holster if it's the right fit. I've also read that a holster belt is the way to go as well.
    When you (generally speaking) carry IWB do you have to get pants that are bigger in the waist to allow for the gun?
    Me again -- Most definitely, a good sturday gun belt makes ALL the difference in the world! You can go from uncomfortable with a regular belt and most any holster (except Remora) to hardly knowing you are wearing the gun and holster with the right belt. --- Really!

As to whether you will need larger pants: Insert unloaded gun in waistband. That's your first clue. Then, add a layer or two of whatever to add about 1/4" to 1/2" which is sort of average for what holsters will add in bulk. That pretty much answers your question.

Being female I can and do wear close fitting pants, but they are stretch material (mostly stretch denim) and that allows me to "insert gun and holster", secure with gun belt and be comfortable. The exception to this is any brand of waist band/holster combination. That adds way, way to much bulk to be able to fit inside the waistbands of even my stretch jeans.

I have a couple pairs of pants that are not stretch material that just fit around my waist a bit tight and no way can I tuck a gun into the waist of those pants. You have to check your own wardrobe.
    WrongRecroom likes this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

A couple of excellent holsters at reasonable prices are aliengearholsters.com and firearmholster.com. The Alien Gear starts at about $30 plus $7 shipping, and the Firearm Holsters are $49 w/free shipping. I think the Firearm Holsters are equal in quality and workmanship to the more expensive brands, like Crossbreed or White Hat. And they almost a custom holster in that you can specify leather and stitching color. Also, the FH holsters are easily converted to OWB and back to IWB as needed. But plan on a 4 week wait to get one.

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Right now my most comfortable IWB setup is a Kahr CM9 in a Sticky holster. It literally disappears. I have read so many good reports about the hybrid style IWB holsters, I decided to try one for my Glock 27. After much comparison and research, I decided to try the SHTF ACE-1 holster. I hope it's as good as everyone claims. Good luck on your search.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Links