Kydex Holster

Kydex Holster

This is a discussion on Kydex Holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Quick question regarding hybrid kydex holsters. Is it more desirable to have a shiny back (the side touching your skin/clothing) or a suede/rough feeling back?...

Thread: Kydex Holster

Kydex Holster

Quick question regarding hybrid kydex holsters.

Is it more desirable to have a shiny back (the side touching your skin/clothing) or a suede/rough feeling back?

Leather.

The leather against skin doesn't seem to created a pressure point as apposed to the kydex against the skin.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sioux565 View Post
    Leather.

The leather against skin doesn't seem to created a pressure point as apposed to the kydex against the skin.

Oh, I meant the texture of the leather. Is it better to have a shiny leather back or a back with matte/rougher leather? I've seen hybrid holsters with both.

For me, there is no difference.

I would think it would depend on how the leather is finished. If the leather has a "soft" finish, then either the rough or smooth side should be ok. If the finsih is not so soft, and it is against bare skin, then I would say the smooth side would be more comfortable. If you wear clothing between the holster and your skin (I always wear an undershirt), again it shouldn't matter.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

If you sweat a lot, smooth side against body may reject more of the moisture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I prefer the suede or rougher leather. The smooth leather slides off my supple, girl-like skin (I know, I sure do paint a picture, huh?). If the leather is smooth I will put some moleskin or even duct tape on it to create some friction.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    I prefer the suede or rougher leather. The smooth leather slides off my supple, girl-like skin (I know, I sure do paint a picture, huh?). If the leather is smooth I will put some moleskin or even duct tape on it to create some friction.
    I did not need to see that picture...especially so close to breakfast!
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

It's personal at best. Skin side out, smooth, looks better when you are selling them. Flesh side out, rough, would be similar on the gun to a leather holster. But not looks as good to the customer. Get bridle or harness and it's smooth on the skin side and pressed smooth on the flesh side. I use bridle for all my IWB holsters now.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I'm guessing we're talking IWB hybrid holsters? I prefer rough-side in. Perhaps 'cause my all-time favorite IWB holster is the Sparks Summer Special II HH (horse hide). Heck, it's rough-side on BOTH sides.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Here's an example of what I mean. The black backed holster on the left is a Shielded holster, the tan backed holster on the right is a MDJ holster. The leather on the right seems to be better quality. The holster on the left (almost a felt texture backing) seems to stick to undershirts and underwear, while the holster on the right is slippery.

The black is dyed natural strap leather. From the looks of it they buffed the back to raise the grain up. Either that or they are using soft belly leather that is nappy like that naturally. The natural color is either horsehide, bridle, harness, or strap that was "holstered" at the tannery. At least that's my educated guesses.

The problem you are having with the black holster has come up before on a couple of mine. One of the reasons I use bridle leather now.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Links