First time CC holster suggestions

This is a discussion on First time CC holster suggestions within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just did my CCW class a few weeks ago, I am now waiting for my permit to arrive. It's going to be my first ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: First time CC holster suggestions

I just did my CCW class a few weeks ago, I am now waiting for my permit to arrive. It's going to be my first time conceal carrying. Right now I have a Glock 19 as my first gun, going to be possibly looking for a summer carry gun to be carried in summer clothes. I've been thinking about purchasing both a foxx or alien gear holster, seems a lot of members here are fans of those holsters. Are those good choices or what else should I choose from? Suggestions welcome, thanks!

Glock 19 is a great gun. I carry that plus a 26 year round. The Aliengear holster or others like it, are a great holster. Aliengear has the best price. I bought an Oldfaithful holster, same lWB design.

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    I recently purchased my first hybrid style holster after quite a bit of comparisons and research of the different options available. I ultimately decided on the SHTF hybrid for my G27. IMO, it was priced very reasonable and offered many features I felt were important in this type holster. I guess I can't recommend it just yet(although I bet others will), but it does offer a lot of features at a very reasonable price. Good luck in your search!
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Panther Concealment Custom Kydex Holsters and Knife Sheaths is very popular both IWB and OWB kydex. I have 2 OWB. Pictures upon request.
    kaikane0812 likes this.
    I carry a gun because a policeman is to heavy.
    M&P 40 FS
    M&P 40c
    S&W 638
    Ruger Security Six
    Ruger Speed Six

Distinguished Member
    I'm a first time cc'er as well. Carry my Sig iwb in a White Hat Maxtuck along with their belt. Sitting at a family gathering right now with my P250 under a tucked plain t shirt and now one is the wiser.
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Fox is good , Remora is not too bad. Most peopel here have there own fav. I like ones that a soft backing and the company lets you returent them for free .

Of the main brand I like galco and desantis not handmade but good for the money
    virg likes this.

I use one from firearmholster.com

Youll get all kinds if suggestions, but really you will have to buy a few to decide. Going with the cheapest didnt work for me.
    WrongRecroom likes this.

There's definitely tons of holster options. I looked at as many companies as I could before I settled on buying an IWB hybrid from Ozarks Holster Company. I've heard nothing but good things about their holsters. I haven't worn mine long-term yet, but I'm happy with it.
    Last edited by arjae; December 29th, 2013 at 12:50 PM.

Distinguished Member Array denclaste's Avatar
    Since I haven't found a plastic holster that was comfortable I stick with with good leather holsters. I use the Summer Special 2 or the OGL Axe for my g20.

for IWB I hear a lot of good things about Crossbreed Supertuck and Comp-Tac Minotaur. I personal use, and love, my Wild Bills Covert Carry Wild Bill's Concealment | Holsters and Accessories for Concealed Carry. If you can get them at your local gun show, you are better off. Because they are hand made they take about 6 weeks to get by mail. In cooler weather, if wearing a jacket, I find OWB more comfortable and us a Comp-Tac Paddle holster with an FBI cant. My primary weapon is a Glock27. Either of these holsters would be an excellent choice. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Meltz View Post
    I just did my CCW class a few weeks ago, I am now waiting for my permit to arrive. It's going to be my first time conceal carrying. Right now I have a Glock 19 as my first gun, going to be possibly looking for a summer carry gun to be carried in summer clothes. I've been thinking about purchasing both a foxx or alien gear holster, seems a lot of members here are fans of those holsters. Are those good choices or what else should I choose from? Suggestions welcome, thanks!
    Before you buy a holster, decide what carry position works for you. Then buy a holster made for that position. Although some will probably disagree, do this - stuff your UNLOADED gun into your pants at the various positions. I.e, appendix, strong side hip, behind the hip, small of back, etc. then walk around, sit in the car, bend down, reach into a cupboard above your head, etc. Although not exactly the same as doing it with a holster the exercise will give you a general idea of what carry position works for you.

Additional things to consider are body type and how you dress. Also, asking someone what is a good holster is akin to asking someone what the best pickup truck or car is. You'll hear a lot of what everyone likes, but that will have no bearing on what works for you. E.G., the crossbreed super tuck type of holster is very popular, but I can't stand that big honking piece of leather inside my pants. I'm an appendix carry guy.

This is what I use. Have three of them. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388330979.074860.jpg. http://www.giholsters.com/silent-thu...ppendix-carry/

Good luck and be patient. One last thing, cheap holsters are cheap for a reason.
    ginzo and WoodLark like this.

Great reply, this should be the standard for anyone asking this question!

Quote Originally Posted by contented View Post
    Before you buy a holster, decide what carry position works for you. Then buy a holster made for that position. Although some will probably disagree, do this - stuff your UNLOADED gun into your pants at the various positions. I.e, appendix, strong side hip, behind the hip, small of back, etc. then walk around, sit in the car, bend down, reach into a cupboard above your head, etc. Although not exactly the same as doing it with a holster the exercise will give you a general idea of what carry position works for you.

Additional things to consider are body type and how you dress. Also, asking someone what is a good holster is akin to asking someone what the best pickup truck or car is. You'll hear a lot of what everyone likes, but that will have no bearing on what works for you. E.G., the crossbreed super tuck type of holster is very popular, but I can't stand that big honking piece of leather inside my pants. I'm an appendix carry guy.

This is what I use. Have three of them. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388330979.074860.jpg. Concealed Handgun Holsters: Silent Thunder Kydex and Leather Slim Holster

Good luck and be patient. One last thing, cheap holsters are cheap for a reason.
    contented likes this.
    I carry a gun because a policeman is to heavy.
    M&P 40 FS
    M&P 40c
    S&W 638
    Ruger Security Six
    Ruger Speed Six

I think you'll be happy with the alien gear or similar for all-day carry. That type of holster, however, requires you to have your pants half off and takes a minute to get on. I strongly recommend having a holster that you can just shove into pants you're already wearing, that has a positive means of securing itself to you and allows for one-handed reholstering (last 2 are personal "must haves"). My favorite is the Blade-Tech Nano. Having such a holster makes it much more likely you'll still carry for quick trips to the store or whatever. They aren't as comfortable, but come in handy when you're in a hurry and look at those massive hybrid holsters and are tempted to say "screw it."

Try this: Get a REMORA hoster. You can always use it for a number of purposes even if you decide not to use it as a main holster (use it to store or transport gun ...). Not too expensive and use the Remora to put your UNLOADED gun in different positions to see what position you like and is most comfortable. OK?

When you find "the spot" then you can look for a holster to use. I suggest High Noon Holsters, Gun Holsters and Concealment Holsters even if you don't buy from them (but they make a great holster for not a lot of $$$) their website had tons of information on what to look for and how to size and decide on a holster and how to wear it. You'll be glad you looked at their tutorial.

I also use a Galco holster and carry Appendix IWB (AIWB) for my G19/26 and another for a Taurus 357 revolver. But go check out High Noon for info on holsters.
    -- Robert
    NRA Life Member

Also look at UBG Holsters Nate does a great job and you won't be disappointed. I have IWB and OWB holsters from him.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links