Ankle holster for j frame

This is a discussion on Ankle holster for j frame within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This has been covered before, but with all the new models I thought I'd revisit the topic. I usually carry my guns iwb. I recently ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Ankle holster for j frame

This has been covered before, but with all the new models I thought I'd revisit the topic. I usually carry my guns iwb. I recently switched back to carrying my 642 from a shield and I believe I am going to start carrying it on my ankle. I have a cheap ankle holster, but I hate it bc it won't stay put on my leg. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.
    DrDP6 likes this.

Just in general I could never get comfortable with ankle type holsters personally . But it's worth trying because there are sneaky moves that go with ankle carry and also it's amazing how often a lazy frisk or wanding will miss this or a boot knife cause somebody just forgets or doesn't want to bend over. Doesn't work too good with shorts, either !

First off it is a pain to draw from ankle ( extra training)

this may help

Product Review: Galco Ankle Holsters | The Truth About Guns

I have a local made one that is nice for small guns .. But for me unless driving or siting alot it would only be as a bug gun or a crap all else failed situation ie get off me gun

Can you do pocket or iwb/own or even should a 642 would be a dandy shoulder gun. Just watch videos on how to draw from ankle you will see why ..

I would avoid the ankle holster if possible because of the back problems it will give you later down the line. The weight of the gun on your ankle affects the way you walk and often causes sciatica ( Extreme Lower back pain ). Sciatica is no joke, it hurts like %#@&. I suggest an IWB that rides low. I carry my S&W 38 Centennial during the summer in an IWB and it's practically invisible.---Sturgis
    S&W 64-4 38 cal
    S&W 640 38 cal
    Glock19 9mm
    S&W M&P 45C
    Mossberg 500
    NRA Member

I appreciate you guys suggesting other ways to carry, but I have a pretty good idea of what I'm doing. I've been cc'ing for a while and have carried about every way possible at some point. Trust me, I totally understand the negatives and difficulty drawing from an ankle, but it is the easiest way with my work attire to carry. When I am in street clothes I will continue to iwb or owb carry. I'm purely looking for advice on the best, most secure ankle holster. Thanks
    1 old 0311 and ShooterGranny like this.

I too like to pocket carry my snubbies by the way. There are just some days with certain work attire that it is extremely difficult to use anything but ankle. Because I share your opinions on ankle carry, I didn't invest much in my ankle holster. Now that I intend to have to use it more, I would prefer something be more stable and fitted to my leg so that it's not bobbing around as much.

Renegade Cozy Partner #50 Home #52 and 53 have a safety stap if you want one. This the origional that Galco and DeSantis imitate. I am not a big fan of ankle carry but when the situation calls for it the Renegade is the one for a J-frame.

I think ankle holsters are a great back up. I just can`t see it as my main carry. Unless you are sitting down when you are being robbed, you would have to pull it after you been robbed or assaulted. Sadly with the way the crappy laws are, be pre prepared to be in and out of court. Anyway, you might want to look at the BlackHawk ankle holster.
    BlackHawk Ankle Holster 40AH 40AH12BK-R, 40AH10BK-R, 40AH16BK-R, 40AH12BK-L, 40AH01BK-R, 40AH00BK-R, 40AH01BK-L, 40AH10BK-L, BLK40AH00BKL, 40AH16BK-L. BlackHawk Ankle Holsters.
    NRA Member! Give an inch, they will take a yard.

Galco Ankle Lite.

I have carried a Colt SFXI (about the same size as a J frame) and a Sig 238 in one. Very comfortable and very secure.

Desantis makes a nice one very comfortable...practice
    Goat_Guy likes this.

I've heard good things about the Renegade holsters. That's what I would use.
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

Richie leather,very secure and comfortable..John

Quote Originally Posted by deadsexy View Post
    Desantis makes a nice one very comfortable...practice
    Agree. I carry a G 26 with the DeSantis. Good concealment, at least with the way I dress, and with practice I can draw quickly without taking my eyes off the target. It isn't uncomfortable, stays put, even when jumping off a loading dock, and I don't even notice it most of the time. My biggest like is that I can get to it easily in a car and biggest dislike is that I'd have to stop if I were walking or running. To each his/her own I suppose but in any case practice, practice, practice.
    Never get out of the boat....

TRX
    Get one with the upper band that goes above the calf, to keep it from riding down to the top of your shoe. I use an Uncle Mike's that I put on every morning.

If you use tall socks, a piece of paper towel under the top band will keep the velcro from eating your socks.

I don't notice the little LCP at all. I carry a J-frame in a shoulder rig; I don't think it would be an issue on my ankle. But courtesy of a drug addict with a Buick, I don't get around very well to start with. I kind of scrape along like The Mummy, so I'd have to have a Draco strapped to my leg for it to get much worse.

The Uncle Mike's instruction sheet says to turn the holster so the muzzle is just behind your ankle, with the bulk of the gun at about 7 o'clock, looking down your leg. Amazingly enough, following the directions worked well for me...
    ShooterGranny likes this.

Alessi ankle rigs were the standard for decades.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links