A Better Belt vs. Amish Belt

This is a discussion on A Better Belt vs. Amish Belt within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When I first started carrying, I just used a regular Walmart belt. It wasn't a pleasant experience so I was looking for an "affordable" belt ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: A Better Belt vs. Amish Belt

A Better Belt vs. Amish Belt

When I first started carrying, I just used a regular Walmart belt. It wasn't a pleasant experience so I was looking for an "affordable" belt that would be more suited for everyday carry.

I came across the Hank's Amish Belts. When I first received it, I was amazed at how much stiffer these belts were from a store belt. I've used this belt for about a year now and overall it is not a bad belt, especially for the price ($39) but I did notice some sagging during the day.

I've lost several pounds this year and needed a new belt so I decided to go ahead and purchase a dedicated gun belt. I heard so many good things about A Better Belt USA, I thought I would give them a try. I decided to go with the Ultimate Gun Belt. I did upgrade to the Kydex Liner and Double Stitch since I'm still a good size guy. So I have about $84 invested. When I first received this belt, I couldn't get over how stiff it was. At first, I thought maybe too stiff, but after wearing a couple days, it is breaking in fine. I didn't know that a belt could be so important in a Concealed Carry setup but now I'm a believer. The belt supports my weapon and holster and extra magazine holster and I must say that it feels that I' not carrying anything on me. I've attached below a picture of each belt with the holster and weapon attached and you can see how each belt differs as far as supporting the weapon and holster.

This is the Hank's Amish Belt. Granted, it is about a year old so I'm sure the belt was a little stiffer when new.
    hanks amish belts.jpg
    If you notice, the belt fails to support the holster and pistol on its own. Again, for the price of the belt, it is a much better option than any department store belt. It just left me wanting a little more support.

Now here is a picture of the Ultimate Gun Belt by A Better Belt USA.
    a better belt.jpg
    As you can see, the belt does a fine job of supporting the holster and pistol on its own. I must say that there is a noticable difference when carrying with this belt.

I can now say that I'm happy with my carrying system. The Ultimate Gun Belt with the Kydex Liner and double stitching is well worth the $84. The picture does not do the belt justice as it is a beautiful belt. Pairing this belt with my MTR Custom Leather Dual Carry Holster, I can pretty much say that I'm good to go with just about any clothing situation except for wearing athletic shorts or sweat pants. However, I wouldn't be using my Ruger SR40C for those situations anyway. That is when the Keltec P11 comes in handy with a belly band holster.

2. Remove Ads

I too have been looking to get a new belt. And I have been looking at Better Belt for what I want. I have a crossbreed belt now and while it does it's job I keep feeling there must be something better. I will have to try it to see how much it sags on it's own.

I also have been a secondary gun for times when I want something a little slimmer and lighter. After shooting some at the range I honestly don't see how one could like the P-11. The trigger is just too long and heavy. But I guess after having gotten used to a striker fired a DAO trigger would take some getting used to. I'm just used to that short pull. As on review I read of the P-11 it felt as if the trigger travels through a few zip codes before the gun goes bang. But that is why they make so many different types of guns. To each his/her own.

I'm happy with my belt from A Better Belt. They are very fast as well.
    kaikane0812 likes this.
    My EDC: Springfield XDS
    My sometimes EDC: Colt XSE LW or G26

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Looks like a quality belt. Thanks for the comparison.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Quote Originally Posted by StripesDude View Post
    I'm happy with my belt from A Better Belt. They are very fast as well.
    I received mine in about 10 days after ordering. I was very impressed.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    I have two belts from Mike @ A Better Belt USA. (He's on this forum now, too by the way, so you can ask him any questions directly here)
    I love both of mine. I have the ultimate belt, and their 1" dress belt for more formal occassions. Barely a day has gone by since getting these belts that I haven't worn one of them. I have a 31" waist, 34" belt, so smaller size, but I didn't even need the kydex liner. Mine is stiff as can be even with just the bull hide.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

My Amish belt is starting to show its age, I may have to look into these.
    ,____,
    //' British Agent
    "
    "Happiness is a warm Gun."

Quote Originally Posted by jmattingly73 View Post
    Now here is a picture of the Ultimate Gun Belt by A Better Belt USA.
    a better belt.jpg
    Nice looking belt! If yours has a brass buckle, we have the same belt!

Definitely a well made piece of gear and very nice people to buy from. My old belt was worn and just like you, it took about a week to get comfortable with my new Better Belt.

I just ordered one today. I called and Mike answered the phone. The reason I called is I didn't want the middle hole the hole I used. I just don't like all that tail. Especially when I'm not IWB carrying. So after some discussion we got it all set. When I asked how long would it take he said 7-10 days before it is ready to ship. He said it takes about 4 days to make a belt but he was a bit backed up due to the holidays. I think a week to two for a custom belt is fine considering it takes months often times for a custom holster. I'll post a review and pics once I get it.

VIP Member
    I have almost as many belts as I do holsters.......but over half of them are Gramps' discards (too small for him now) and after he wore them so long they don't support much anymore. The two best belts I have are really old Safariland, black embossed, fairly wide with velcro attachment. They do a fantastic job but the "tooth" part of the velcro attaches itself to anything I wear like sweaters, sweat shirts, etc. It surely would be nice to have a REAL sturdy all leather gun belt!

I'm getting a lot closer to ordering a good one and getting rid of the old ones that don't do the job very well anymore. SO thanks for this post - it has given me incentive and the Better Belts sound great and look that way in the picture also!
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

+10 on A BETTER BELT - mine is 7 months old and still looks brand new. It is worn every day. Get one you will love it.

You will not go wrong with this belt. Excellent belt and great people to deal with.I have two and couldn't be happier.

VIP Member
    I was looking at these last night Ultimate Gun Belt ($69.95) ~ Dual Layer Gun Belts - A Better Belt USA
    And think I will be ordering one today.
    I have some good "crappy" belts from the local department stores, but they are definitely lacking in the support and quality that these, and other "gun belt" makers have built into their product.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    you won't be disappointed, oneshot. I hvae that belt, myself and it's fantastic. I wear it nearly every day. I will note that the only minutely negative downside to the belt is that due to it's thickness, every once in a while if I have something (like my insulin pump) with a spring-clip on the back, the clip gets stretched to the max to fit over the thickness of the belt.. haha but it still works. Things like pagers, phones, that sort of thing with the thin plastic clips get a workout though. It's like trying to get your mouth around a giant stacked burger.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

I've never worn one of the Amish belts but I have one of the perfect fit belts from "A Better Belt". Paid $ 100.00 for it; it's worth every penny! Have worn it almost daily for 6 months and there is very little wear and it's just a stiff now as when it was new.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links