Shoulder Holster for 1911?

This is a discussion on Shoulder Holster for 1911? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am just toying with the idea of getting a shoulder rigg for my remington r1. They seem nice and I like the idea of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Shoulder Holster for 1911?

I am just toying with the idea of getting a shoulder rigg for my remington r1. They seem nice and I like the idea of having an extra holder for a spare mag. I have do not know much about carrying a shoulder rigg. One thing I do know is that it would only be worn while in the woods while hunting or (maybe) under my long wool coat in the winter. As of now I DO NOT carry my r1 as a ccw firearm, I use a glock 26 for that. But it would be nice to be able to utilize the r1 from time to time. Right now I use a leather holster with a leather mag holster and keep it on a nylon 5.11 belt that I can just throw around my waist. I found that the gun is just too heavy for me on the belt I use to keep my pants up. Anyways, just thought I would ask. Looking for any and all advice in regards to a shoulder rigg. Thanks!
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I like these folks for most of my holsters. http://www.opticsplanet.com/galco-shoulder-holsters.html#!gridSize=200&page=1&price[]=0&price[]=0&rating=0&sort=lowest-price

You will probably like the Galco Light, by your description.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Thanks for the help, patri0t. I like the website because most of the products are at a lower price. I would like the Galco Light but I forgot to mention the one thing I do want on the shoulder rig is that I want it to be a vertical drop. I know to many people it may not be a worry but I just don't like the barrel pointed at someone behind me. My dad always taught me the gun is to be point to ground unless its pointed down range.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    You need to look into the Galco Miami Classic II comes brown or black. would be nice if you have a local store with one in stock to try on before you spend the money.

I have one for my 1911 and when wearing a jacket its really nice. You need to get the Galco lube and break it in so you can get a smooth draw.

DeSantis also makes one called the New York undercover. Its pretty nice.

Once you get one you will need your wife or buddy to help you adjust it so it fits you proper. It will take some time to get it all adjusted to your body.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

I carry my McCormick Commander in a Galco Miami Classic that I've had for nearly twenty years. I did replace the mag holster, but eveything else is original. Personally, I like a shoulder rig.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I like the Galco's I like the vertical drop. I may start another thread. I highly appreciate the advice but I have been noticing that the vertical drops show down by the belt line. I am wondering if it would be easier to just use a inside the waist band holster I apperciate the advice but wonder if I would be better off just doing that.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Administrator
    Just be aware of the fact that when you initially start wearing a shoulder holster with any full size full weight firearm you will be putting some downward pressure and weight on an area of your body that is not accustomed to that. Even if you are in great physical condition.

So you might end up with a painful shoulder at first. But, that disappears after your body acclimates to it. It usually takes a couple of weeks especially if you are wearing a shoulder rig for many hours straight.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I just came home after an eight hour trip to the "Cities." Driving time was two hours. The rest of the time I was on my feet and walking several miles. The whole time I was wearing a 5"1911 in a Miami Classic (horizontal carry). It was very comfortable, very concealable, and it is relatively easy to present the pistol should the occasion call for one to draw his/her pistol. I am a big fan of shoulder holsters. I think Galco makes a vertical carry for their Miami Classics.

Ill keep that in mind Goldy49. sounds like an excellent holster to have for car rides.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    Miami classic II is the one I would reccomend. I own one and carry a 1911 Officer model all day.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lee12 View Post
    I am just toying with the idea of getting a shoulder rigg for my remington r1. They seem nice and I like the idea of having an extra holder for a spare mag. I have do not know much about carrying a shoulder rigg. One thing I do know is that it would only be worn while in the woods while hunting or (maybe) under my long wool coat in the winter. As of now I DO NOT carry my r1 as a ccw firearm, I use a glock 26 for that. But it would be nice to be able to utilize the r1 from time to time. Right now I use a leather holster with a leather mag holster and keep it on a nylon 5.11 belt that I can just throw around my waist. I found that the gun is just too heavy for me on the belt I use to keep my pants up. Anyways, just thought I would ask. Looking for any and all advice in regards to a shoulder rigg. Thanks!
    You cannot go wrong with the Miami Classic from GALCO. I have the horizontal set up and the holster works with the 5" Government or the 4.25" Commander equally well. It's a good system with a lot custom setups .

gatorbait51 likes this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Diamond D custom leather make some fine shoulder holsters. The tanker or guides choice.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Look up CCS Gunwear on Facebook.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    Check out E-Bay. I bought a nice nylon/cord one from there coupla years ago and it still works well for me in the winter with a coat. I think it was under $30 then. I carry a full size 1911 Rock Island Tac.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links