Leather + Dummy Gun ?

Leather + Dummy Gun ?

This is a discussion on Leather + Dummy Gun ? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello Everybody! I'm patiently waiting for two leather holsters that I plan to use with my one Glock 23. These are going to be my ...

Thread: Leather + Dummy Gun ?

Leather + Dummy Gun ?

Hello Everybody!

I'm patiently waiting for two leather holsters that I plan to use with my one Glock 23. These are going to be my first leather rigs, so I'm rather naive about maintenance.

1. Should I keep my Glock in one of the holsters when not in use or should I store the holster without the pistol?

2. If the best way to maintain the holster is to keep the pistol in it, than does it also make sense to buy a dummy pistol for the other holster?

3. Lastly...is it okay to use a dummy gun to break-in the new leather holster or do the dummy pistols have slight imperfections that make their use impractical?

Thanks in advance, guys! Any and all info is appreciated!

--Dan

you can store the holster empty or with a gun doesn't matter either way if it is a top quality holster
    as for a dummy gun sure you could break it in that way but i would rather use the real thing empty of course but still the real deal

Senior Moderator
    Hmmm, Philly, that's some interesting thoughts. I have observed that breaking in a new holster (leather) does seem to put accelerated wear on a gun with nice finish.

As I understand it, leather holsters are intentionally made tight to allow for fitting to the gun. I've had some so tight, I wondered if it was the right holster. But, they do eventually break in. I notice new wear marks on the finish.

Another thing that addresses one of the questions you asked pertaining to a holster that is not being used. Everyone I know either simply stores the holster empty or if they've got a gun to fit it maybe with the gun in it. Another thing I have noticed is that if I don't use a holster for a while, it seems to tighten up some and I have to tolerate a tight fit again, but it "breaks in" much quicker than the first time.

I don't know how accurately the dummy guns are made so can't help you with that. In fact, I don't know that I've helped at all.

Assistant Administrator
    I'd hardly think it worth paying for a dummy gun. Once a rig is broken in it will quickly re-adapt to useage.

One thing tho worth consideration IMO is - if you leave a gun stored in its holster and there happens to be any moisture inside the rig - over time it could lead to corrosion on some finishes.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Many thanks to all of you for lending your expertise and experience!

Bud White: Thanks a lot! I agree that using the actual gun would probably prove the most beneficial.

Tangle: Your comments were very insightful and definitely helpful. I was wondering about the holster tightening up...and got my answer. Also, I hadn't even thought about the issue of wear on the pistol.

P95Carry: Moisture. Again...something that I hadn't even thougth about initially. Thanks!

--Dan

Howdy!

Each maker uses a different process (and materials) for holster finishing. I would suggest that you contact the person who has made/is making the holster(s) in question, and ask them for specifics. Each of our holsters is shipped with a "Care & Feeding" sheet that covers this information for our products. (If you buy one of our holsters used, we'll be glad to send you a sheet at no charge, or you can click on the "Care & Feeding" section of our website and print one out).

As far as a dummy gun goes, I would not use one to break in your holster. There are no dummy guns made that are exactly like your particular firearm ( even guns made by the same manufacturer will have dimensional differences between them as the tooling wears over time and minor design modifications are made).
    We intentionally fit our holsters pretty snug to allow the end user to break them in to perfectly fit their individual firearm. What I'm getting at is that you'll end up breaking in your holster to fit your dummy gun, rather than the gun you intend to carry in it.

With regard to storage, leather needs to "breath" in order not to mildue and/or grow mold. I would store holsters at room temp, with minimal humidity (maybe 50% or preferably less) without anything inside them. That should give you the best possible results.
    Good luck!

Thanks a bunch, Gary, for the awesome insight!

--Dan

Gary what about storing you holster in the gun safe with a dehumidifer rod in the bottom of the safe?

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post
    Gary what about storing you holster in the gun safe with a dehumidifer rod in the bottom of the safe?
    Good question. My guess is that you'd be fine in doing that. However, you'll need to moisturize the leather periodically.

In my shop, all raw leather is stored in plastic containers. Uncut hides are loosely rolled and placed into 55 gal Rubbermaid trash cans, with the lid on. Cut parts are stored in plastic boxes, also with a lid. The reason for this is that leather must have a particular moisture content in order not to just dry up and crumble. Leather has a fiberous make-up. There are sub-structures in leather fibers called fibrilles. At the fibrille level, once a piece of leather dries out to a particular point, it cannot be properly moistureized ever again. So, the purpose in moisturizing a piece of leather is to prevent it from ever reaching that point.

Having said all that, the acrylic dip process that we use does a very effective job in sealing this critical moisture in, so it is usually necessary to moisturize a holster maybe once a year. However, if your safe's humidity level is really low (I am guessing here at maybe 25% or less) then it is possible to over-dry a holster until it reaches a critical point.

Here's a rule of thumb: Leather is skin. Any condition that is harsh on your skin, is bad for leather. However, because a holster-mag pouch must have some body (ie stiffness) to work properly, you cannot over do it by applying things like neetsfoot or mink oils to them , either. (EVER!!) The best stuff that I've found for holster maintenance is Lexol Leather Conditioner (NOT the neetsfoot formula). However, a holster seeing everyday use will only require a drop or two a YEAR to keep it properly moisturized.

Here's how I store my personal holsters: I put them into a plastic shoe box (like you can find at Lowes, WalMart, etc) and store them at room temp in an airconditioned environment. I would not leave them that way untouched for long - I get into that box at least a couple of times a week, and each time it vents out any accumulated humidity and lets everything inside "breath". My personal EDC (every day carry) rig is always either on my body or sitting on top of the dresser - it never goes into the box, except when I am wearing something else to test it.

I hope that this helped. For step by step instructions on caring for my holsters, please refer to the instruction sheet that came with it (you know, the one you threw in the trash, Bud ). Otherwise, go to our website and click on the "Care & Feeding" section" and print off a copy. Good luck!

You mean i was supposed to read that sheet jezz

Naw i read it since it is my edc right now it really wont be a problem but i thought it would be intersting to know for the rest of my holsters

Thanks for the good info as always

Uh huh, I bet you just went to my website and printed a new copy to read, didn't ya?

nope no printer ... lol

naw my set came with the holster is tucked in the gunsafe along with all my gun related documents so i can refer to them if need be

i will say im not one for reading papers that come with stuff but i did to see how to size gun to holster because it WAS TIGHT

Links