OWB - leather vs Custom Kydex

This is a discussion on OWB - leather vs Custom Kydex within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've got a Galco Fletch leather OWB that I love because I can securely open carry with it if I want to and it still ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: OWB - leather vs Custom Kydex

I've got a Galco Fletch leather OWB that I love because I can securely open carry with it if I want to and it still keeps it close enough to my body is can sorta conceal my G23C with it.
    However that's with a big hoodie and a jacket.
    I was looking at the "home made" kydex holsters that have the rivets and was wondering if they keep the pistol any closer or conceal better.

My main go to is my Crossbreed, however OWB is nice for some occasions.

Give 'er a little wing tip! A little wing tip!

Chris Costa and Travis Haley speak well of the Raven Phantom Holsters. That is what they use on Art of the Dynamic Handgun video series.

Holsters - Phantom Modular Holster - Raven Concealment Systems

I find the hybrid holsters with rivets to be a little problematic. The backing is a single thickness of leather, and it will stretch. When it does, there is no adjustment for tension. I much prefer the system used by Old Faithful Holsters where the kydex is held in place with screws and can be adjusted.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

I like Panther Concealment Custom Kydex Holsters and Knife Sheaths

I describe it as a cross between a traditional paddle and a pancake holster. You get the convenience and speed of the paddle, but the conceal ability of a traditional belt-slot pancake. Holds very tight to body.
    SnoMan97 likes this.
    Criminals don't register guns.
    I carry a gun because a policeman is to heavy.
    M&P 40 FS
    M&P 40c
    S&W 638
    Ruger Security Six

Quote Originally Posted by ginzo View Post
    I like Panther Concealment Custom Kydex Holsters and Knife Sheaths

I describe it as a cross between a traditional paddle and a pancake holster. You get the convenience and speed of the paddle, but the conceal ability of a traditional belt-slot pancake. Holds very tight to body.
    Now that looks interesting.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

“Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny”
    Thomas Jefferson

I'm so happy with mine, I'd almost give you a money back guarantee!!!
    Here's my spiel, No association with company, no "drawer full of holsters", 2 guns, 2 panthers!!!!!
    IMG_0004-004.jpgIMG_0005-004.jpgIMG_0002-002.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by SnoMan97 View Post
    Now that looks interesting.
    Criminals don't register guns.
    I carry a gun because a policeman is to heavy.
    M&P 40 FS
    M&P 40c
    S&W 638
    Ruger Security Six

Leather for OWB

Kyvex for IWB (Old Faithful is great & price too)

WALK

The Phantoms are the holster style I was wondering about. They seem slimmer...

Garrett Industries is what I use. They have all kinds of styles to choose from and Ron is great to work with.
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

Quote Originally Posted by Chief1297 View Post
    Garrett Industries is what I use. They have all kinds of styles to choose from and Ron is great to work with.
    The STX 2.0 is intriguing but expensive.

Most Concealable OWB Holster | Silent Thunder STX Kydex and Leather | Garrett Holsters
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

“Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny”
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Takeem406 View Post
    The Phantoms are the holster style I was wondering about. They seem slimmer...

Here is a guy I may purchase from in the near future. Looks a lot like the Phantom but cheaper. He offers both OWB injection molded loops and soft IWB loops.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/IBX-T...05843559501963 or IBX Tactical Custom Kydex
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thomas Jefferson

Galco fletch looks to be typical height. Id try a higher riding leather OWB. High Ride Pancake Holster - Tim Thurner

**if you have the room to ride the pistol higher and closer. Some arent built that way.

Stay with leather, and go with a inside was band holder, you will never need more that a untucked t-shirt to conceal it.
    I carry a med sized glock 10mm that way, get a holster that has a piece of leather that comes up the side to the top of the slide, it will keep it from cutting into you

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk
    "The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."Thomas Jefferson
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."Thomas Jefferson

OWB kydex or leather?
    It depends. Plenty of good quality stable OWB carry either way you go. My preferences? Both actually. I wouldn't be without either. I do have more leather holsters for my OWB carry however. IMO, Mitch Rosen can't be beat for the cost in leather. As far as open carry, I actually do a lot of that with an IWB holster, just shirt tucked in. More discreet and close to the body. The kydex paddle style holsters are better than the belt loop only to my thinking. It's just your preference mainly, and when it comes to carrying concealed or openly......(most important advice I can give here) is never let cost be an issue for a good holster.
    So you want a holy war? How many holes would you like?

Both work fine. It's more a matter of preference and comfort. My favorite OWB high ride is the Fist K2 in kydex. Wide stance, high ride, tucks in nice and tight, VERY comfortable. I also love some sexy leather, kydex is not sexy, leather is just a happiness thing. It's more of a treat for your sidearm. I just picked up an RGrizzle OWB Countryboy for my P229. I primarily carry my P938 in an IWB DM Bullard because I like the grab and go style most days, not having to thread a holster onto a stiff belt.

That's why we have drawers full of expensive holsters, there is no perfect holster, they are all wonderful.
    Primary CC - Sig P938
    USMC Veteran 87-93

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links