Review: SHTF Gear new and improved Horizontal mag carrier

This is a discussion on Review: SHTF Gear new and improved Horizontal mag carrier within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For the last few weeks I have wearing the new horizontal mag carrier from SHTF Gear. ( SHTF Gear Holsters - American Made, Fast Shipping, ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Taurahe

Thread: Review: SHTF Gear new and improved Horizontal mag carrier

Review: SHTF Gear new and improved Horizontal mag carrier

For the last few weeks I have wearing the new horizontal mag carrier from SHTF Gear. ( SHTF Gear Holsters - American Made, Fast Shipping, Comfortable Holsters)
    I have to say, it is a fantastic product and one that has really impressed me, more than I expected. Anyone who has used the original SHTF gear mag carrier will find it familiar, yet different all the same. It is still horizontal, it goes on your belt, and carries a mag, but the similarities end there.

My mag carriers arrived neatly packaged in individual plastic bags, as all of SHTF gear products are shipped. After opening each I was greeted with that fresh leather smell we all love so much. The first thing I noticed was the texture of the leather. The outer surface has a very fine grain, and is soft and smooth to the touch, yet surprisingly stiff. The original mag carrier used a much softer leather, so it was not at all what I was expecting. The SHTF Gear logo is neatly emblazoned on the cover flap, and an American flag and "made in the USA" on the rear. A very nice touch.

Available in three different sizes, the new mag carriers pack some interesting features that really make them stand out, which we will discuss later. the original mag carrier was only available in one size. The new ones come in three sizes, and can accommodate just about every magazine size out there. The smallest is the HMC-1. It is specifically designed for small, single stack .380 magazines. The next one is the HMC-2. It is meant for single stack magazines for compact guns such as the shield ( My EDC ) and also 1911 magazines. Because this magazine can be used for magazines at the opposite ends of the length spectrum, it uses a small Allen set screw and lock washer to limit how far a magazine can be inserted if you are using subcompact single stack magazines. It leaves plenty of magazine to grab for extraction when needed. This same method is used on the 3 size magazine carrier, the HMC-3. Designed for double stack magazines, it too utilizes the set screw method to allow for both full size and compact magazines to be properly used in the same carrier. This set screw also allows the user to adjust the tension applied to the magazine by the carrier as well... who doesn't like a little customization !!!!

So by now, some may be wondering exactly how the carrier works. Well, that's simple. The magazine carrier rides horizontally on the belt, secured by two solid velcro flaps that loop around the belt and attach to the front of the holster. The magazine is secured inside the carrier by a flap that also attaches secures at the front with Velcro. It really is as simple as it sounds. To extract a magazine, one simply opens uses their hand to open the Velcro flap, grasp the magazine, and reload. This can easily be done in a swift solid movement with no more effort required than lifting your shirt to allow your weapon to clear on the draw. When compared to using a kydex vertical mag carrier, I have no difficulty in using it.

I have been asked several times by friends on how comfortable the mag carrier is in day to day use... I doubt you will find a more comfortable carrier. Walking, sitting, driving, laying down, it didnt matter. Not once did I feel it cause difficulty in any way. This leads us into the issue of conceal-ability. The slim nature of the new SHTF gear mag carriers keeps them from being unobtrusive in any fashion. They are easily hidden under a loose t shirt, yet they are equally at home worn with a tucked in polo and some slacks. They in no way come across as tacti-cool or visually offensive and could easily be thought of as an eye glass case or something else completely harmless.

Side Note*** When I first got the mag carriers they were quite stiff. After inserting magazines, I left them overnight to stretch. After that and a few days of use they fit perfectly.

Over all, I think the new mag carriers from SHTF Gear are a great addition to anyones carry options. With an option for every carry weapon, it is hard to think of another product that offers such a level of versatility.

SHTF Gear new mag carrier small-2.jpgSHTF Gear new mag carrier medium-4.jpgSHTF Gear new mag carrier medium-1.jpg
    Stoveman and Phaedrus like this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Good review, thanks for posting.

I do like the SHTF gear.

Alright! This is very good news indeed. The original SHTF mag carrier is my favorite mag carrier of all that I own. I would have more of them but for the fact, as the OP mentioned, there used to only be one size. Great for my Beretta Nano mags but too small for my HK USP or P30S mags. Now that there's a larger size I will certainly be getting one. Thanks, Clay!
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Links