Suggestions for a holster after kidney surgery

This is a discussion on Suggestions for a holster after kidney surgery within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, I'm new here and have a question in regards to in the waist or on the belt holsters. A little over two years ago ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Suggestions for a holster after kidney surgery

Suggestions for a holster after kidney surgery

Hello, I'm new here and have a question in regards to in the waist or on the belt holsters. A little over two years ago I had kidney surgery, a kidney was removed. Since then I have had an issue with extreme tenderness on the side the surgery was on. I have yet to find a comfortable in the waist band holster and have had difficulties with on the belt holsters. I have been using a pocket holster because of the tenderness issue, but would like to get back to ITWB or OTB holster. Any suggestions?

2. Remove Ads

los
    Have you considered IWB Appendix carry ?
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Doubtful it's the holster. Probably the grip of the gun bumping you where it hurts. My 1911 grip ends right over my right kidney.

Depending on what you carry, you might be able to get an appendix holster. Barring that, get a steel j frame Smith. You can carry that IWB and it won't come near your kidney. Grip is plenty small.

Welcome to the forum.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by los View Post
    Have you considered IWB Appendix carry ?
    Yes ^^^ that ^^^ or maybe around 2:30? Using a soft IWB like a Remora takes most of the pressure off your body.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

los
    Also, Thunderwear or Smartcarry type holsters.
    luke213 likes this.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

My dad had a kidney removed plus a lot of other tissue along with it. He from then on had to wear pants and belt pretty loose around the waist for that very reason.

You may be different but anything he stuck inside his waist band even on the other side would cause his belt to tighten all around him of course and would be very uncomfortable. He didnt carry all the time like I do but when he did he used a S&W j frame in his pocket.

I hope you can get back to IWB or OWB on your belt. But he never could manage it after the surgery even with the J frame.

Edited to add. A light bulb just popped over my head. You might try suspenders and a belt. That way you can wear your belt loose enough to be comfortable and the suspenders will be holding the weight of the gun on you shoulders. I never thought of that when my dad was alive so he never tried it. But being a farmer he wore bib overalls a lot and I remember he could stick all kinds of stuff in them even heavy tools and it didnt hurt him that way. Just an idea.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OasD View Post
    Hello, I'm new here and have a question in regards to in the waist or on the belt holsters. A little over two years ago I had kidney surgery, a kidney was removed. Since then I have had an issue with extreme tenderness on the side the surgery was on. I have yet to find a comfortable in the waist band holster and have had difficulties with on the belt holsters. I have been using a pocket holster because of the tenderness issue, but would like to get back to ITWB or OTB holster. Any suggestions?
    First, talk to your nephrologist. You shouldn't have discomfort this long after the nephrectomy. I've had two kidney transplants, and two pancreas transplants, and none of them left me any the worse for wear after about 6 months or so of recovery, in regards to the surgery locations, and all of them were abdominal. Kidney donors typically should only have problems for a few months afterward as well.
    Second, look at the 3 Speed holster. It's an appendix carry, and wraps around like a belt.

3 Speed Holster

Post transplants, I couldn't even wear normal pants. I was stuck in sweats till my waist came back to a normal size, and I didn't have to wear ABD pads for several months to absorb leaking lymph fluids. I could barely stand for the first couple of weeks. I'm not sure how I'd have carried at the time, other than in a coat pocket or a shoulder holster, but for your situation, the 3speed may work well.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

I can and do recommend you look into a 3-Speed holster: 3 Speed Holster I own and use three of these great holster systems.

I have worn my 3Speed Holster For ten months everyday...need a second soon...+1 on the 3Speed Holster

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
    G-d, Make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. And G-d if today is truly the day you call me home, then let me die in a pile of empty brass.

Shoulder....................

I think I'd look at a holster like the smartcarry type of rig, they tend to not apply pressure in a normal manner and would probably have a chance of working for ya. Another option might be a very light gun in the pocket, anything slightly heavy might try and drag pants down etc. That said pocket is only going to work if you can wear normal pants, IE not sweatpants in most cases.

A shoulder rig may be an option but I think it's still doing to ride too much near the area your going to be healing. So I'm thinking I'd lean towards a smart carry type of rig.

Take care and good luck!

Luke

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    Shoulder holster.

Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    First, talk to your nephrologist. You shouldn't have discomfort this long after the nephrectomy. I've had two kidney transplants, and two pancreas transplants, and none of them left me any the worse for wear after about 6 months or so of recovery, in regards to the surgery locations, and all of them were abdominal. Kidney donors typically should only have problems for a few months afterward as well.
    Second, look at the 3 Speed holster. It's an appendix carry, and wraps around like a belt.

3 Speed Holster

Post transplants, I couldn't even wear normal pants. I was stuck in sweats till my waist came back to a normal size, and I didn't have to wear ABD pads for several months to absorb leaking lymph fluids. I could barely stand for the first couple of weeks. I'm not sure how I'd have carried at the time, other than in a coat pocket or a shoulder holster, but for your situation, the 3speed may work well.
    I've spoken with the Doctors (second opinions). They've said it depended upon the person and that I was one of the unlucky ones where the tenderness was involved. I've tried a Smart Carry, it didn't work for me. I unfortunately or unfortunately, depending on how you consider it, was "blessed" with substantial equipment. Because of this the Smart Carry was very uncomfortable at certain times. You might consider this sounding strange, but being "blessed" is not always what one would consider it to be. Trust me on that, it can be very inconvenient at times.

Distinguished Member
    Another vote for shoulder holster. Look at Kangaroo Carry. I wear on under my t or polo shirt and it makes my glock 26 or 19 virtually invisible. I feel your pain. I'm getting in line for transplant. Glass wolf, I may call with some questions. I'd kinda like to ask some questions if you have time. I'll pm.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

I agree on the shoulder holster option. You also might look at one of these:

http://n82tactical.com/n82store/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links