lock box for harley-- softail

This is a discussion on lock box for harley-- softail within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; *for* anyone point me in the right direction?...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Pete63
  • 2 Post By gasmitty
  • 1 Post By welder516
  • 1 Post By WHEC724
  • 1 Post By OldMick

Thread: lock box for harley-- softail

*for*

anyone point me in the right direction?
    "You are guaranteed to miss 100% of the shots you don't take" -Wayne Gretzky

Are you asking, should you blow your money on a gun safe, or a HD softail?
    lionround likes this.

Fixed your thread title.
    Pete63 and RETSUPT99 like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

If you have touring luggage you can probably use any of the small under seat car lockboxes that attach with a cable. You could probably route the cable through the frame in a way that wouldn't interfere with the swingarm or other suspension. I'm assuming you want to stow the gun for a short time if entering a business where its prohibited, the luggage on the bike offers far less protection from discovery than the locked interior of a car or truck and zero protection against theft.

Me, the gun stays on my person though if I take to bringing my ranch hand I may devise a cable lock so I can stow it in a saddle bag if running in for lunch, haven't decided yet, rarely venture beyond KY so shouldn't be a major issue either way if I bring it in if I holster it but its a long holster lol.

VIP Member
    Harley Vault by Corporate Travel Safety (Free Shipping) - Car/Vehicle Safes - CorporateTravelSafety.com

For any Harley's with hard fiberglass saddle bags kinda pricey but is made for the larger bikes .
    If you have leather bags you can buy a cable box with keyed lock at any bass pro,cabela's, type store .
    flintlock62 likes this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

VIP Member
    Herein lies the problem. HD Softails do not have hard saddlebags.

To the OP without adding hard bags to the bike anything else would not be secure enough to leave a firearm unattended.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I've always used a lock box with stainless cables secured on a stud coming off the fender strut. The same stud that my quick disconnect sissy bar/back rest locks on. The cable slips under the saddlebag lid and is difficult to see.

I only leave my pistol in it when I need to go into somewhere that I can't carry. And I go out of my way to avoid those places, so it's not used very often.

Gun Vault or Stackon make small what they call portable safes. They come with a steel cable to mount to a bolt on the bike, you can put the safe in a leather saddlebag very easy. I had an 04 Fatboy and just carried it all the time. I now have a 02 Electra Glide, mounted a safe by drilling it out so I can use the bolts on the bike to mount it. Only time I use it is when I am at my Primary job, no firearms allowed....grrrrrrr.

WALK

VIP Member
    I own a softail (Night Train). I didn't explore this thought for very long, because there is nothing secure about a motorcycle. Any crook with tenacity can cut your locks/cables and load the entire bike up onto a pickup and drive off with everything. Especially if they see you going to the trouble to lock something up in your bike.
    welder516 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I own a softail (Night Train). I didn't explore this thought for very long, because there is nothing secure about a motorcycle. Any crook with tenacity can cut your locks/cables and load the entire bike up onto a pickup and drive off with everything. Especially if they see you going to the trouble to lock something up in your bike.
    I've always thought the same about cars; break a window and you have access to anything in the car. Having a secure-it safe on a bike or car does nothing but slow a thief down, but it's better than nothing if you must disarm for a short time. At least IMO.

But I agree stealing the bike is VERY easy and quick.
    welder516 likes this.

I use a small lockbox with cable on my Harley. Works great.

I use a NanoVault in my car right now and I will be getting a second one to put in my saddlebag on my Softail.

NV 200 - NanoVault - Gun Safes | GunVault

Senior Member Array flintlock62's Avatar
    Everything for a Harley is pricey!

Quote Originally Posted by welder516 View Post
    Harley Vault by Corporate Travel Safety (Free Shipping) - Car/Vehicle Safes - CorporateTravelSafety.com

For any Harley's with hard fiberglass saddle bags kinda pricey but is made for the larger bikes .
    If you have leather bags you can buy a cable box with keyed lock at any bass pro,cabela's, type store .

Sponsored Links