What do you like for a 1911 double magazine carrier

This is a discussion on What do you like for a 1911 double magazine carrier within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just started carrying a 1911 after 15 years with Glock, Sig & HK. I usually carry a spare mag on my belt with a ...

Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By maddy345
  • 1 Post By flintlock62
  • 1 Post By JD
  • 2 Post By LimaCharlie
  • 2 Post By oldnfat
  • 2 Post By sensei2
  • 1 Post By gatorbait51
  • 1 Post By CIBMike

Thread: What do you like for a 1911 double magazine carrier

I just started carrying a 1911 after 15 years with Glock, Sig & HK. I usually carry a spare mag on my belt with a Comp-Tac single mag carrier. With the 1911 I want to carry two spare mags. What do you guys use?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Member Array flintlock62's Avatar
    It depends on if you want leather or plastic. I would suggest Galco or Fobus.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

JD
    Administrator
    Milt Sparks and 5 Shot leather.

Also check out TT Gun Leather, UBG, and Desibens.

Ted Blocker TLS Mag Pouch. They work great and last for years.

TLS Mag Pouch
    CIBMike and gatorbait51 like this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Distinguished Member

Thumbs up Dbl. mag carrier

Jeff Hays has made me several. I have singles and doubles. Latest one he made for me was for 8rd. mags with the sweat shield covering the entire backside of the mags. Nice forward cant. Very well made and very comfortable.
    Attached Images
    CIBMike and gatorbait51 like this.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

my favorite double mag pouches are from Blade-Tech. i prefer the $60 ones made from sheet kydex, but the injection molded ones at half the cost are pretty good as well, as are the similar molded ones from Uncle Mike's. they typically allow you to switch attachment method from belt loops to paddle, and the cheaper ones allow for left or right hand carry, because the magazines can be inserted with the cartridges facing either left or right. they also take up minimal room on the belt, unlike some designs, which require an inch or so on either side of the magazines.

many of the 'classic' leather designs have the magazines facing in opposite directions, which is contrary to current doctrine, which calls for the cartridges in both mags to face the same way.

there are times when i prefer to carry two single pouches rather than one double, because this can make it easier to place the carriers exactly where you want them, whereas a double might be compromised because of where the belt loops on your pants are situated.
    gatorbait51 and Rexster like this.

VIP Member
    I have a Kelley IWB 2 mag pouch, a Galco horizontal pouch and a Simply Rugged OWB pouch. All do the job nicely
    CIBMike likes this.

Distinguished Member Array CIBMike's Avatar
    I bought the Blackhawk because I have more than one single stack pistol and the mags for these pistols vary in thickness.

With the Blackhawk carrier I can adjust it to fit either kind of mag quickly .
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    The easy way is always mined.

Quote Originally Posted by maddy345 View Post
    I just started carrying a 1911 after 15 years with Glock, Sig & HK. I usually carry a spare mag on my belt with a Comp-Tac single mag carrier. With the 1911 I want to carry two spare mags. What do you guys use?
    They also make them in twin holders.
    Twin Mag Pouch
    One unique feature of our Twin Mag Pouch is that each pouch is independently adjustable, eliminating the problem of one side being too loose and the other being too tight.

Magazine Pouches - products new home - Twin Mag Pouch
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sensei2 View Post

there are times when i prefer to carry two single pouches rather than one double, because this can make it easier to place the carriers exactly where you want them, whereas a double might be compromised because of where the belt loops on your pants are situated.
    +1. I am fairly slim, which makes this even more true, as finding a flat place that also has belt loops correctly placed can be a challenge. Also, I have tended to like to wear one spare mag closer to the point of the hip, and another farther behind the hip.

I have used Blade-tech kydex single mag pouches for 1911 pistols, but mine are quite early, perhaps not the same as current production.

I like the Wilson very much.

Double Magazine Pouch | 1911 | Right/Left Hand | Black-Wilson Combat

I've used Galco in the past and been very happy with it as well, but the Wilson is what I am using right now.
    =
    "The six-shooter loaded with deadly cartridges is a dangerous companion for any man, especially if he should unfortunately be primed with whiskey." - Texas Live Stock Journal, June 5, 1884
    "Leave Your Revolvers At Police Headquarters and Get a Check." - Sign outside Wichita, 1873.

Links