is a 1 1/4" gun belt sufficient?

This is a discussion on is a 1 1/4" gun belt sufficient? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all, Is a 1 1/4" gun belt sufficient for carrying a Sig P239 in an inside the waistband holster as a CCW piece? I'd ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is a 1 1/4" gun belt sufficient?

is a 1 1/4" gun belt sufficient?

Hi all,

Is a 1 1/4" gun belt sufficient for carrying a Sig P239 in an inside the waistband holster as a CCW piece? I'd prefer a 1 1/4" belt because it does "look" like a gun belt and would like to use a tuckable holster as an option. The two holsters I'm considering are the Milt Sparks Executive's Companion and the Blade-Tech UCH. Thanks!

Chris

2. Remove Ads

No unless t is a gun belt and the holster belt loops are cut for 1 1/4 thats short answer got to run for work im sure someone will give you the long of why

1-1/4 enough for IWB

Although I generally prefer a 1-1/2 inch holster myself, I believe the 1-1/4 inch holsters are generally adequate tp support a gun, especially in IWB carry. The method of support is different with IWB than OWB, and the IWB relies heavily upon the "hoop effect" of the tightened belt exerting a force directly inward toward the body on the gun and holster, trapping or pinching the gun against the body. With an OWB holster, the gun and holster are hanging on the outside of the belt, and the belt must exert an upward force and be stiff enough to resist twisting. That is where the stiffness and thickness of a 1-1/2 inch belt will be better than a similar 1-1/4 inch belt.

Of course 2 other factors would be important also - the weight of the gun and the material of the belt. Lighter weight guns and more rigid belt material would help the support situation.

Due to the nature of my business, my attire = suits and semi-casual most all the times. More often than not, the belt loops in suit pants and such are 1-1/4" over 1-1/2". Also, most of my carrying is done IWB which allows me a little bit more of an allowance to do with a 1-1/4" belt. Hence, I decided to go with the 1-1/14" double thick gun belt made by Rhome. It is STIFF and even being a daily wear belt for me for the past 4-5 months, it still performs as well as it did day one.
    Therefore, experience says, yes a 1-1/4" will do fine, moreso for IWB carry, IF it is a well made, double think GUN belt. Best of luck...

1.25" belts work fine for me.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Please keep it coming.

I am looking at various gun belt manufacturers, including Rafter S, Milt Sparks, and Belt Man. (I like Rafter S and Belt Man best because they offer 7 holes with 3/4" in spacing). So, yes... the belt *will* be a double-thickness gun belt about 1/4" inch thick.

Like I said before, I will be carrying a Sig P239, which is about 32 oz. loaded, so it's not too heavy.

Chris

Be sure to check out thebeltman.net. I just got a 1.25'' belt from the the beltman and couldn't be more pleased with it. It looks like a dress belt but is also stiffer than my Instructors belt. I bought the belt to fit the loops on an early-generation com series IWB holster from HBE. Sorry I don't have a picture of the belt, but again it is very, very nice.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post
    No unless t is a gun belt and the holster belt loops are cut for 1 1/4 thats short answer got to run for work im sure someone will give you the long of why
    Correct. The extra play in the holster to belt will make the holster move up and down and in and out. Not a great combo if your trying to keep it concealed. It can also impact your grasp and draw due to the holster being in different positions.

Note: Should matter less with an IWB vs OWB. All my belts are 1.5 or 1.75 inches.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

yes, whichever size gun belt I get, the loops I get will match, i.e...

1-1/4" belt means 1-1/4" loops
    1-1/2" belt means 1-1/2" loops

Chris

Lead Moderator
    I've used a 1-1/4 belt with a 239 in a VMII with no problems. I got a Beltman belt with the 7 hole pattern, and like it a lot.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    Generally, I go 1.5 with heavier guns OWB...1 .25 are fine with anything inside the pants and I even use it for my 442 OWB...that extra 1/4 inch makes a big difference for me in comfort...

I agree with you. I find the 1.5" belts too wide and they look weird on me. You can get away with a 1.5" wearing jeans but that's it. A good 1-1/4 belt from the finer leather makers works great for me carrying a Sig 228.

CCH
    I used a 1.25" Wilderness Frequent Flyer belt (not their stiffest model) to carry a USPC .45 IWB with an Alessi Talon holster. Loops weren't an issue but the belt held everything up just fine. Prior to that I carried a Glock 29 in a Blade-Tech IWB holster with the loops properly adjusted. Again no problem holding it up.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    I have used RafterS 1.25 inch belts more than the 1.5. Some of my slacks belt loops do not accept the larger belts.

I have not found any downside to the 1.25 belts. Even though the loops on my holsters are 1.5 inch when the belt is tightened it also tightens the holsters and pulls them in. Accordingly I have had no problem with the holster moving.
    I know that the thicker belts, such as the RafterS tend to be tight in the loops of the holster.

Overall I get more use out of the 1.25 inch belts, and have not had an issue or gun moving or belt sagging.

Jerry

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I've used a 1 1/4" belt and it works fine for me....it's not even made especially for guns.

But it is a double-thickness belt: a Filson Double Belt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links