Hybrid holster weight

This is a discussion on Hybrid holster weight within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I saw a video on YouTube yesterday talked about how the alien gear holster was heavier than the cross breed. That got me to thinking ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Addictedhealer
  • 1 Post By Addictedhealer

Thread: Hybrid holster weight

Hybrid holster weight

I saw a video on YouTube yesterday talked about how the alien gear holster was heavier than the cross breed. That got me to thinking how much of a difference is there between the hybrid holsters weight. I weighed my new alien gear at six and a half ounces this morning anyone have others they could chime in on?

2. Remove Ads

Done.

Chorizo likes this.

Hybrid holster weight

I will say though I have done some cutting on my crossbreed. Did my own combat cut and took the bottom holes off.

Chorizo likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Interesting. Also your combined weight thread, very interesting. 1 or 2 ozs in holster difference does not really seem to be much and bother me personally, but it is an exponential thing, in that the heavier the total weight, the more a few ozs makes it seems. The difference in total weight can be a factor depending on how you are dressed. When I wear a suit, with a less robust dress gunbelt, a lighter gun makes for much more enjoyable carry with less adjustments throughout the day. If I am to be seated most of the day, then a heavier gun is of less consequence, but if on my feet, then the lighter gun is a must.

If I am in my daily wear, jeans with a vest/coat and a very robust heavy gun belt, then it matters little and I can carry up to 40ozs comfortably IWB, but I prefer, and who wouldn't, a lighter package of around 32ozs.

I have finally made the conversion to all hybrid for IWB, with leather for OWB. The hybrid distributes the weight nicely along the belt line. I even prefer hybrid to my Milt Sparks VM-II for the Beretta Cougar carry.

Thank you for the two threads. If I had a nice scale like that I, too, would post some pics, but alas I do not.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

I would bet the kydex is the same. Although Alien says they use thicker kydex. Rivets are same. Clips may have some differences. Most of the difference is in the "weight" of the leather/horsehide. Thickness is measured in ounces. I've used 8-9 oz early on. I'm settled on 10-12 oz now. Just weighed one for a SCCY and it was 5 7/8 oz.

It also appears that the Alien Gear holsters are 2 layers. Is that right? They also seem to have multiple T nuts glued in too.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by Addictedhealer View Post
    Done.

Thanks! Anyone have weights on other hybrids like kingtuk or shtf? By the way mine is for a glock 27.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 4

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    I don't have a scale but I found the box my SHTF holster was shipped in. The weight on the shipping label was 11 ounces...this was a SHTF ACE-1 for a Glock 27 with the metal clips.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Links