S&W J-Frame Carry Options - Page 2

S&W J-Frame Carry Options

This is a discussion on S&W J-Frame Carry Options within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This winter, I started using a Fobus paddle for my S&W 642. Summer months I use a Mika's pocket holster. Over on the High Road ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 45
  1. #16
    Member Array Terry1810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    SE Iowa
    Posts
    25
    This winter, I started using a Fobus paddle for my S&W 642. Summer months I use a Mika's pocket holster. Over on the High Road Forum, there's a LARGE thread on J Frames (The 642 Club) http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=138658 Other suggestions on what people use is listed there too.


  2. #17
    Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    S.E. Michigan
    Posts
    534
    I have used Smart Carry, and numerous pocket holsters (currently Uncle Mike's) for my J-Frame. If a belt holster is needed, I will carry a bigger gun. BTW I wear Levis 505 and most of the time a tucked in Tee shirt.

  3. #18
    Senior Member
    Array enigmaone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    englewood fl
    Posts
    1,055
    S&W 638, in a Mika pocket holster, alsoin RT hand pocket, Dockers/
    jeans/shorts.
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

  4. #19
    Ron
    Ron is offline
    Distinguished Member Array Ron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    West Linn, Oregon
    Posts
    1,628
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Brommeland View Post
    However, I will never recommend a tuckable holster - imho they are a dangerous concept.
    Gary,

    I carry my 642 in a pocket holster, but would have considered a tuckable for use in Florida with a semi-automatic. May I ask why you believe that they are a dangerous concept. If you would prefer to discuss this off line, please let me know and I will either PM or call, whichever you prefer.

    Thanks.

    Ron

  5. #20
    Member Array Gary Brommeland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,424
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Gary,

    I carry my 642 in a pocket holster, but would have considered a tuckable for use in Florida with a semi-automatic. May I ask why you believe that they are a dangerous concept. If you would prefer to discuss this off line, please let me know and I will either PM or call, whichever you prefer.

    Thanks.

    Ron

    Hi Ron,

    My first objection to "tuckables" revolves around the necessity to use both hands to draw from one. Gunfights can erupt with a high degree of ferocity at very close ranges in very short time frames.
    You may well need your "weak" hand to fend off an attacker while you draw. You might also need that hand to push your wife/kids behind cover as you draw. Or, you may need to move your self to cover very rapidly (as you draw) and that weak hand may be needed to break your fall, and /or stabilize you quickly enough to be able to shoot back in time.
    Essencially, a "tuckable" makes you choose between covering and fighting because it eliminates to option of doing both simultaneously.

    My second objection is that as a rule, they are also pretty darn slow to draw from - much slower than a standard IWB or OWB. Another concern is that during extreme stress, you'll totally lose fine motor skills and having to fiddle around with your shirt can greatly aggravate an already significant "fumble factor".

    All in all, I think that (if your clothing allows) you will be MUCH more likely to survive a lethal force encounter with a more conventional holster. If clothing options do not allow, the combination of a pocket holster and ankle rig is much more likely to save your butt than a tuckable.

    In short, I would think it pretty likely that you'd just die lookin' like "sharp dressed man", with your gun still in it's "tuckable".

  6. #21
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    27,032
    For a snubbie J-frame revolver, I'm partial to pocket carry. Had a S&W 442 in a Mitch Rosen Pocket Softy holster for years. It fit well, allowed smooth draw, and lasted forever. (Sold it this year.) I would highly recommend pocket carry, assuming your pants pockets allow the room. Pocket carry doesn't require "cover" garments, can be worn casual or dressy.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

  7. #22
    Ron
    Ron is offline
    Distinguished Member Array Ron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    West Linn, Oregon
    Posts
    1,628
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Brommeland View Post
    Hi Ron,

    My first objection to "tuckables" revolves around the necessity to use both hands to draw from one. Gunfights can erupt with a high degree of ferocity at very close ranges in very short time frames.
    You may well need your "weak" hand to fend off an attacker while you draw. You might also need that hand to push your wife/kids behind cover as you draw. Or, you may need to move your self to cover very rapidly (as you draw) and that weak hand may be needed to break your fall, and /or stabilize you quickly enough to be able to shoot back in time.
    Essencially, a "tuckable" makes you choose between covering and fighting because it eliminates to option of doing both simultaneously.

    My second objection is that as a rule, they are also pretty darn slow to draw from - much slower than a standard IWB or OWB. Another concern is that during extreme stress, you'll totally lose fine motor skills and having to fiddle around with your shirt can greatly aggravate an already significant "fumble factor".

    All in all, I think that (if your clothing allows) you will be MUCH more likely to survive a lethal force encounter with a more conventional holster. If clothing options do not allow, the combination of a pocket holster and ankle rig is much more likely to save your butt than a tuckable.

    In short, I would think it pretty likely that you'd just die lookin' like "sharp dressed man", with your gun still in it's "tuckable".
    Thanks, Gary. Understood.

    Ron

  8. #23
    VIP Member
    Array kentuckycarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    kentucky
    Posts
    2,219
    I have a 642 and have yet been able to pocket carry except in a coat pocket. I've switched from jeans to cargo pants and still cant pocket carry. It must take some huge pockets. I'd love to be able to carry this way. I carry IWB and love it. But cant always do that....

  9. #24
    Member Array Gary Brommeland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,424
    Quote Originally Posted by robere View Post
    I have a 642 and have yet been able to pocket carry except in a coat pocket. I've switched from jeans to cargo pants and still cant pocket carry. It must take some huge pockets. I'd love to be able to carry this way. I carry IWB and love it. But cant always do that....
    Howdy!

    It might be the grips you have on it. To successfully pocket carry a J-Frame, you've got to have small grips - and preferable not made from rubber (it's too "tacky" on the inside of the pocket). Speigle boot grips (available from Lightning Arms.com) would be my first choice.
    Another possible problem area may be that your pants are too tight. With 5.11's, Dockers and BDU's, you should be able to get a small revolver in the slash pocket if the pants are cut loose enough. This might require a little experimentation, however.
    I dunno if this helped or not. Good luck!

  10. #25
    Member Array btaulbee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    South
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by robere View Post
    I have a 642 and have yet been able to pocket carry except in a coat pocket. I've switched from jeans to cargo pants and still cant pocket carry. It must take some huge pockets. I'd love to be able to carry this way. I carry IWB and love it. But cant always do that....
    I also have a 642 and I have this same problem. I dont feel comfortable carrying in my pocket with the Uncle Mikes no 3 pocket holster. It still bulges even with a pocket holster. I carry mine in a Galco deep concealment holster with a j hook. It covers it nicely and I can even wear T shirts and the gun is stil covered.

  11. #26
    Ron
    Ron is offline
    Distinguished Member Array Ron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    West Linn, Oregon
    Posts
    1,628
    Quote Originally Posted by robere View Post
    I have a 642 and have yet been able to pocket carry except in a coat pocket. I've switched from jeans to cargo pants and still cant pocket carry. It must take some huge pockets. I'd love to be able to carry this way. I carry IWB and love it. But cant always do that....
    That really surprises me. As someone else suggested, it may be your grips. I have Model 405 Crimson Trace Laser grips on my 642 in a Mika pocket holster and carry comfortably all day in a front pocket in cargo shorts. I hardly know the gun is in my pocket. I also carry without difficulty in regular docker pants. And I can easily draw the revolver from the holster.

    Ron

  12. #27
    VIP Member Array maclean3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    3,085
    I've got a 642 with the stock Uncle Mike's rubber grips. I couldn't carry in the front pocket of my Levi's 550s but with a cheap Uncle Mike's (#3?) pocket holster I can pocket carry in cargo shorts or the Levi's "Carpenter's" jeans I switched to wearing. It really just depends on the style and fit of the pants.
    Jack

  13. #28
    Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Posts
    1,376
    I dont often carry my snubby as my primary weapon, but when I do and deep concealment is needed I switch between an ankle rig (renegade is my choice for the past 15 years with the same holster and its still working fine). I have used a pocket holster and its just not for me as my pants dont work well with it. Like Gary said a good OTB or ITP holster usually is my choice but in warmer weather when I cant wear a sweater I use the UC Comfort t-shirt holster (which I have found to be the best of the ones available) However a t-shirt is specifically for DEEP concealment when you have to have it but cant take the risk of any type of flagging. When I can dress down, ie untucked shirt, I stick with an ITP from Milt Sparks or OTB from Galco. One thing to remember is a quality speed loader carrier (I use DeSantis for my snubby) or Speed Strips but you MUST practice with them. Also on the laser, the snubby is the only weapon that I routinely carry a laser grip on, and Gary is SOOOOOOO correct that when it happens it will typically happen quick and up close for CCW folks. Just something to keep in mind.

    My body may be broken (for now) but the opinions are still here, LOL.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

  14. #29
    Member Array cray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    117
    A small revolver is one firearm which is very comfortable for me, using a Smartcarry; but .. I prefer a pocket holster for the reasons Gary mentioned. Very few modes of carry will allow you to start the fight with your hand already on your weapon. That alone is worth a great deal, IMO. Good luck.

    Tony

  15. #30
    New Member Array txmntman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    12
    Tarus111 - your basic question:
    "I have a 5 shot snub j-frame. I am not a grossly fat man but I carry a few extra pounds on my body. I need opinions on carry options for my revolver. I usually wear cowboy cut wrangler jeans and a button up shirt tucked in. I would like to keep with the basic wardrobe. Gun has to be concealed at all times --so no SOB holsters. I was thinking maybe a sholder harness rig. Open a button. pull out the gun? "

    I had some of the same problems, and I had solved it with a Kangaroo holster. Kind of like a belly band without the tightness, uses a shoulder strap to keep it in place. It will carry a 642 easily, and unbutton one button and you're there. Some will say it is slow, but I'm probably not going to be winning any "quick draw" contests anyway. It works well for me. It is only $25 bucks, so could be worth a try for you. I just wrote a review for it in the holster section. Good luck to you.
    "Gun Bans don't disarm criminals, gun bans ATTRACT them."

    -Walter Mondale

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. galco j frame options
    By fwellers in forum Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: October 25th, 2009, 06:39 PM
  2. Concealed holster options for J frame
    By Ace12 in forum Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: August 7th, 2007, 03:11 PM

Search tags for this page

best way to carry j frame
,
concealed carry holster for smith and wesson j frame
,
j frame carry
,

j frame carry options

,

j frame shoulder holster

,
s w j frame shoulder holster
,

s&w j frame shoulder holster

,
shoulder holster for s&w 638
,
shoulder holster for s&w j frame
,

shoulder holster j frame s&w

,
shoulder holster s&w j frame
,

smith and wesson j frame shoulder holster

Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» DefensiveCarry Sponsors