S&W J-Frame Carry Options - Page 3

S&W J-Frame Carry Options

This is a discussion on S&W J-Frame Carry Options within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recommend a pocket holster in your right front pants pocket. It still bulges even with a pocket holster You can't conceal your carry gun ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: S&W J-Frame Carry Options

I recommend a pocket holster in your right front pants pocket.
    It still bulges even with a pocket holster
    You can't conceal your carry gun from yourself. Yes, there will be a slight bulge. The bulge won't look like a gun. And the average person on the street wouldn't notice it even if it DID look like a gun. If they notice the bulge, they'll think it is your wallet or phone or whatever.

I've stood on the sales floor at the Brooks Bros. store in Boston, MA, trying on suit coats. I was wearing a white shirt and carrying a black Kimber Compact in a belt holster on one side, and two chrome-plated wilson combat magazines on the other side. The women 6 feet away did not notice the gun as I was trying on coats. The only person who did was the salesperson who was helping me.

Pocket carry works. People don't notice.

Also, try wearing chino's with a pleated front. The extra material for the pleats reduces the bulge.
    Last edited by M1911; December 29th, 2006 at 09:00 PM.

Yep! I've actually had people drop by my shop and talk to me for ten minutes and never even notice an open carried OWB holster and mag pouch. Talk about condition white....

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    On my first day of duty at my current field office, there was a group of us. I was dressed in dockers and a long sleve shirt. One of our senior supervisors instructed us to line up and to bring our weapons and additional equiptment for inventory. I stood there with empty hands, and he proceeded to chew my behind out for leaving my weapon unsecured across the room and for not following instructions. After he ran out of breath, he lost it when I drew all my gear (weapon, two mags, cuffs, batton and knife) out from under my shirt. In that minute, about twelve guys out of fifteen headed to the computer to order the UC Comfort.

One other story. An experienced agent (scary thought) walked in knowing I used a t-shirt holster and commented that he too was impressed how well a t-shirt holster concealed and was dead serious. Unfortunatly for him (and he still gets heck for this to the day) I was wearing a drop leg holster.

On the other end, good cops, folks who carry concealed often and their spouses/kids are awsome at spotting weapons. My oldest can still spot a man who carries two wallets in half a heart beat, no matter how well concealed they are (hint to fellow officers).

Ok I'll hush now.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

I've been carrying a J-Frame in one of these chest holsters for a couple of years. It works great under a loose shirt and a tie covers it well too.

http://www.survivalsheath.com/holsters/index.htm

LaP
    My 642 sits in a "chopped" Desantis Nemesis pocket holster. I trimmed the bottom of the holster so it rides lower in my 5.11 pants pocket. It draws smooth and the holster STAYS in the pocket. Also, there's almost no printing.

Quote Originally Posted by Taurus111 View Post
    First I just want to say that this forum is one of the best that I have encountered. The depth of knowledge and opinion to be found on this website is hardly second to none.
    It is because of that that I ask this question,

I have a 5 shot snub j-frame. I am not a grossly fat man but I carry a few extra pounds on my body. I need opinions on carry options for my revolver. I usually wear cowboy cut wrangler jeans and a button up shirt tucked in. I would like to keep with the basic wardrobe. Gun has to be concealed at all times --so no SOB holsters. I was thinking maybe a sholder harness rig. Open a button. pull out the gun?
    It sounds like you and I are built similarly and dress similarly.

For me, the best option I've found is a Mika pocket holster. They are so cheap (less than $20) that you can try it and not be out much if it doesn't work for you.

The Mika pocket holster feels to me like carrying a wallet in my front pocket and isn't uncomfortable at all.

I have not found anything else that works "for me" as well as the pocket holster.

EDIT: Go with the round cut holster for use with jeans.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~akim/

New Member Array Peacefulwarrior's Avatar
    I really like to carry my Scandium J-frame on a Barimi hip grip. I added a Tyler T-grip adapter then cut a piece of bicyle inner tube and slide it over the whole unit for better gripage. It conceals well under just a t-shirt here in sunny FL. I also discovered that the "watch" pocket on most jeans is perfect for a Bianchi speed strip. I do have a Kramer pocket holster that is well made but I don't use it much after I went to the hip grip.

I tried the Barami years ago and while effective, it still is on your hip. Working narcotics, I was in too many places where the "casual" waist rub made hip carry impractical. Finally switched to an Alessi ankle holster and carried a Model 60 for 25 years in it, every day and the holster is still like new.

Highly recommend it!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    That really surprises me. As someone else suggested, it may be your grips. I have Model 405 Crimson Trace Laser grips on my 642 in a Mika pocket holster and carry comfortably all day in a front pocket in cargo shorts. I hardly know the gun is in my pocket. I also carry without difficulty in regular docker pants. And I can easily draw the revolver from the holster.

Ron
    I have the original grip on there. Its not the buldging, its that it wont go deep enough to keep the end of the grip showing from the side because the pocket is gapped open.

I've noticed the same problem with my little S&W 442. Shop around and you can find pants with pockets that are a little deeper. Or you're handy with sewing you can deepen the pockets yourself.

Pocket carry works find for me, except when I sit down. Pants stretch tightly across my thigh and say "Hey, look! There's a gun in this guy's pocket!" or at least seem to do so to me.
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

Quote Originally Posted by robere View Post
    I have the original grip on there. Its not the buldging, its that it wont go deep enough to keep the end of the grip showing from the side because the pocket is gapped open.
    take it to a seamstress and have them deepen the pockets or do so yourself. I had a pair of dress slacks that did that before I went to work on them.
    For MN specific carry information and a great shooting community, check out forum.twincitiescarry.com

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by robere View Post
    I don't know what to say except for you to try pants and shorts with deeper pockets. Since I have never experienced that kind of problem with any pants or shorts, that would be my suggestion. Sorry that I can't be of more help.

Ron

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I don't know what to say except for you to try pants and shorts with deeper pockets. Since I have never experienced that kind of problem with any pants or shorts, that would be my suggestion. Sorry that I can't be of more help.

Ron
    I've been experimenting a bit with it and found if I use a long enough t-shirt to cover the opening of my pocket, it works fine. I have thought about lenghtening my pockets. It wouldnt take but about an inch..thanks for the info..

Ken Null makes a great under the shirt shoulder holster for the J-Frame.

I have used mine when deep concealment was necessary. What I would do is clip the off-side of the holster to my underwear. This way I had the gun concealed and was able to tuck my shirt in like I normally would.

I used to wear Wranglers, but since I'm not on the ranch anymore, nor playing with 4-legged critters, I started wearing Cargo Pants. It makes it much easier to carry and hide a gun that way.

Biker

I carry my j frame in a Blackhawk iwb it disappears. I also use a bellyband for certain conditions. It works very well

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links