Help fixing a kydex holster

This is a discussion on Help fixing a kydex holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just got a holster from MDJ for my P250 SC. I am having problems though and I need some help/advice... Almost every time I ...

Like Tree12Likes
  • 3 Post By seanth468
  • 1 Post By matthew03
  • 1 Post By rocky
  • 3 Post By SHTFGearLLC
  • 1 Post By luvmy40
  • 1 Post By chiefjason
  • 2 Post By pixel5

Thread: Help fixing a kydex holster

I just got a holster from MDJ for my P250 SC. I am having problems though and I need some help/advice...

Almost every time I draw, the entire holster comes out. I am wearing a thick belt, so that's not the issue. Even if I had those clips that go around the belt and there was no way the holster could come out, I would have a very hard time pulling the gun out due to retention.

Figure A: The gun

I am LEFT HANDED, so the take-down lever is on the kydex side of the holster. I think it is molded TOO tightly around it.

Figure B: The holster

So I think the solution is to sort of 'ramp' the kydex on the hammer-side of the take-down lever... so that when the gun is inserted/drawn it slides in/out rather than snapping in/out.

#1 Can anyone else think of a better solution?

#2 If not, how can I go about altering the holster without screwing it up? I don't think I can remove the shell, the bolts holding it in are smooth on both sides.
    Southpaw Activist

Wear it for a week or so and it will loosen up. You can also take a hair dryer and heat the Kydex up where the indent is for the trigger guard. Stick your finger in the inside and push it out a little. That's how I remedyed mine.
    Hodad, rocky and StormRhydr like this.

VIP Member
    +1 on the hair dryer. I got a el cheapo off ebay for my Ruger LC9 and it would not release. I figured out where and made a one time adjustment with some hot air to the area.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by seanth468 View Post
    Wear it for a week or so and it will loosen up. You can also take a hair dryer and heat the Kydex up where the indent is for the trigger guard. Stick your finger in the inside and push it out a little. That's how I remedyed mine.
    That's a brilliant idea, I was sitting here thinking the only way to do it was with an oven.

BTW: I will wait a while before trying anything to see if it fixes itself...everyone says it will do that but 90% of people are right handed and don't have a take-down lever that protrudes like mine.
    Southpaw Activist

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    A hairdryer did the trick for me with a Fobus Tactical I got for my Sig Pro.

Now the retention is good and no problem drawing the weapon
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I have a small custom Kydex shop, I doubt use will loosen it to the point that the issue is remedied. Lessening the amount of definition on the take down lever will be your best bet. It also looks like the ejection port is molded, (hard to tell from the angle the pics were taken at, but I think I see an indention for the port). I don't make hybrids, and I always block off the ejection port fully as it creates a wear point on the slide. Hybrid holsters are a little more forgiving of that so you may not have a problem there, just something to keep in mind.

Use heat from a hairdryer very sparingly, only on the lever area. You can put a damp towel around that area to keep from de-forming any other areas. You may want to do this with the pistol inserted. Overheating will cause the material to become shiny or have a sheen to it. If you see this you have gone too far and there is no way back so add heat slowly. When the right temp is reached you will see the material relax at the formed section.

Your other option, and the one I recommend is to send it back and let a pro fix it. Kydex can overheat in an instant and then you have distroyed the holster and more than likely voided any warranty. If you go the do it yourself route just go slowly with the heating process.
    rocky likes this.

Lead Moderator
    Wear it for a while before modifying, however if it is that tight you most likely need to do something. Matthew03's advice is good too. I also have worked kydex and it is easy to over do the heat and mess up .
    molleur likes this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Sponsor
    I would suggest contacting the maker of the holster. Typically on left handed holsters we provide relief for large controls. The maker may be unaware of the issue and would probably like to know so he can modify future holsters to work more appropriately. My guess is that they will provide a replacement that fixes the issue.

-Clay

Sponsor
    Send it back(after contacting the manufacturer). They will(should) be more than happy to correct the issue and get some feed back on the problem. It's more than likely the definition around the take down lever as previously stated.

None of us want products that don't work well out there with our names on them!
    molleur likes this.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

You gotta work around the controls on left hand. Contact the manufacturer and let him know. As a small time maker, I would want to know.

If guys were willing to try and fix something themselves I have offered a full replacement if the fix did not work. Or just replaced it.
    molleur likes this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I would heat it up and fix it myself. It's kydex not rocket science. Go slow and heat the area, slowly push out the area around the takedown lever. Hybrids don't needs a lot of retention because when formed to body then tighten who belt it adds retention.

So when I got home yesterday I sat down and took a really close look at it and watched several parts of the gun as I holstered and unholstered it. The take down lever was definitely too closely fitted into the kydex...something that wouldn't have fixed itself by the leather being broken in.

I took a blow-dryer to it, it didn't take a lot. I put the gun in the holster, then slid it out just barely so that the take-down lever was just above its resting place and I pressed down to make the appropriate sized indention...honestly you couldn't even tell the difference before and after if I took a picture, but it works flawlessly now. That's how little of a change to the mold it took to fix, so I have a feeling I just got a one-off that got molded too tightly.

I appreciate all the help.
    88keys and seanth468 like this.
    Southpaw Activist

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Glad it worked out. I would still let the company know, I try to contact anyone who gets one of my holsters after a couple of weeks to make sure everything is working for them as it should be. I always appreciate feedback, good or bad so I can advance my product closer to perfection.

Links