Wilson LO-Profile Holster

This is a discussion on Wilson LO-Profile Holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have had this holster for a number of years for my .45. The gun fits really tight fit when wearing the holster, drawing it ...

Thread: Wilson LO-Profile Holster

Wilson LO-Profile Holster

I have had this holster for a number of years for my .45. The gun fits really tight fit when wearing the holster, drawing it takes an effort. If you take the holster off and put the gun in it the fit is reasonable and you can draw it ok, not really easy but OK. Now for just a side comment before we go on, I noticed the good leather belt I have has shrunk some in length.
    I started to see what the problem was on why is the gun so tight and this is my first take in the matter. Maybe you guys can help out here. When you thread the belt through the holster loops the belt will follow the curve of the holster in the back, but what about when its worn. I suspect the belt will be drawn tight against the holster thereby pushing against the gun holding it tighter in the holster. Am I correct on this assumption, if so the gun is getting tighter within the holster and to draw it is an effort. Do custom smiths allow for this action do you think??? Maybe an inside waist would act differently. Please join in and give a hand. Thanks
    PS-I am thinking maybe a piece of wood dowell on each side of the holster curve would prevent the belt from putting to much pressure on the holster where the gun seats.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Bravo3
    On those occasions that I have had a holster that is way too tight I always put the gun in a new Ziplock bag and place it all the way in the holster. I then submerse it in a sink full of hot water, work the gun around in the holster a bit and submerge it again, making sure it is wet inside and out. I wouldn't probably run the water on it where it would start leaching tanning chemicals from the leather, but submerging seems to work well. Once the leather is good and wet you can work it until it draws well and let it dry. You may want to insure that the bag has no leaks and that your gun is well oiled before starting this. Note: Don't overdo it until the gun is loose in the holster, take your time.

When it's all done, add some leather conditioner and you should be good to go.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo3
    On those occasions that I have had a holster that is way too tight I always put the gun in a new Ziplock bag and place it all the way in the holster. I then submerse it in a sink full of hot water, work the gun around in the holster a bit and submerge it again, making sure it is wet inside and out. I wouldn't probably run the water on it where it would start leaching tanning chemicals from the leather, but submerging seems to work well. Once the leather is good and wet you can work it until it draws well and let it dry. You may want to insure that the bag has no leaks and that your gun is well oiled before starting this. Note: Don't overdo it until the gun is loose in the holster, take your time.

When it's all done, add some leather conditioner and you should be good to go.
    I've done exactly the same thing with good results. Be darned sure the bag doesn't have, or develop during the procedure, a hole. That happened to me once, too.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Tight Holster?

There are two things you can do. Wrap the weapon in a couple of layers of wax paper and then JAM it into the holster and leave it for a few days. This should expand the leather just a fraction, enough to get the job done. The better solution IMHO, is to buy a bottle of LEATHER LIGHTNING which you can get from http://www.mitchrosen.com and use that on the inside of the holster. OR buy a Blade-Tech!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Well, thank you all for the ideas;some I have done and the wet holster idea has come up from time to time but never got to try that one. I am hoping that someone will read my comments about the belt being tight may create a tighter grip on the gun by the holster and respond. My .44 holster is also tight in the same manner. On this forum we have so many people good at stuff someone will enhance the idea of fitting a holster to draw properly. Thanks
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Ive never really had a problem luckly always heard the water thing but afraid with my luck the bag would get a hole in it .

can you post pics. I would use a dry erase marker and see where it is binding. I would wrap the pistol in several layers of saran-wrap and insert and leave for 36-96 hours and go from there. I have heard of the submerge trick and have done it for Soccer cleats on several occasions. On that note, I have also been told by many ppl to not employ this trick to a holster as the leather used is of a differeny type/quality. I have had a few holsters that were a bit on the tight side for my 1911's and the saran-wrap trick worked wonders for me. The biggest part of that is to be patient, leave it be.

Are you leaving the leather out where direct sunlight is hitting it as that will have an effect on the leather as well.

I got this from Milt Spark's Website whom we can all agree is an authority on leather holsters.

My holster is too tight! What's the best way to break it in?
    Tightness in a new holster is not uncommon and is much preferable to the alternative. If the draw is a little stiff at first, it is recommended that you work with it to see if it doesn't loosen up with a bit of use. About 25 to 50 presentations should be a good indicator of whether the holster will break in sufficiently on its own or if maybe a little blocking out of the leather is in order. There are many variables as to why a holster would be excessively tight ranging from the texture of your guns finish, to slight changes in climate or humidity from where the holster is made.California??? Regardless of the reason, a too tight holster can easily be remedied by the end user with a method we have been recommending to customers for over 20 years.

To block out (stretch) your new holster first UNLOAD your pistol or revolver and place the gun into the 4 mil plastic bag that your new holster was packaged in. Then carefully insert the bagged gun all the way into the holster (do not! I repeat, do not!! wet or spray the holster with any solution to aid in the stretching process). The blocking out process as described above will in no way harm the crisp detailed molding of your new holster, nor will it ruin its retention qualities. It serves simply to stretch the leather a few thousands of an inch larger than the gun. The amount of stretching time needed for satisfactory results range from a just a few minutes to overnight. Any clarifications or concerns on the above, or if you would rather we talk you through the process, then please call us.
    Last edited by APachon; January 27th, 2005 at 10:18 PM.
    Fave Quotes

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live!!!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
    Edmund Burke

The worst thing in this world, next to anarchy, is government.
    Henry Ward Beecher

As for the belt, I made a make-shift belt spreader similar in fashion to a shoe spreader.

~A
    Fave Quotes

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live!!!

Edmund Burke

Henry Ward Beecher

from Brommeland's website

Holster Break In

Carefully unload the weapon and wrap it with 2 layers of wax paper (with the wax to the outside), and seat it fully into the holster. Let it sit overnight. Next, work the weapon in and out of the holster a few dozen times. Remove the paper and try it. If it is still too tight, then repeat the process with 3 layers of wax paper. Continue until you get it close to the desired fit (be sure not to overdo it - it is rather difficult to un-stretch leather). Discard the paper and do a few dozen practice draws. The holster should now be sufficiently broken in to allow you to wear it and finalize the break in process. This is done by repeatedly drawing the weapon while the holster is actually being worn. Be advised that a properly broken-in holster should retain the weapon during vigorous physical activity, yet still release the firearm for a smooth draw.

Do not apply oil of any kind to any Brommeland product.
    Fave Quotes

Edmund Burke

Henry Ward Beecher

Thanks for the response(s) APachon, I will do the wrap thing again, get a belt latge enough and attack this problem with vigor!!! LOL. I always thought hey whats the big deal, get a holster and put a gun in it, things will be fine. with all the suggestions maybe I am the problem and the holster is OK!!!
    ---
    NRA Life Member

I stopped by a few holster dealers today at the SHOT Show and they all said to not use water and that they recommended the bag trick (Unanimously)

~A
    Fave Quotes

Edmund Burke

Henry Ward Beecher

Links