Pocket Holster for compact semi-automatic

This is a discussion on Pocket Holster for compact semi-automatic within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently posted a thread under Concealed Carry Guns seeking advice on a compact 9mm semi-automatic. I listed several criteria, one of the key being ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I recently posted a thread under Concealed Carry Guns seeking advice on a compact 9mm semi-automatic. I listed several criteria, one of the key being reliability of functioning, and indicated that I was considering the Glock 26, XD 9SC, and the M&P 9compact, but was open to other suggestions. I have received a large number of excellent responses, including suggestions for a number of other compact guns, all of which would fit my criteria.

I now carry a S&W 642 in a pocket holster. Because I live in Florida and wear cargo type shorts with deep pockets and a tee shirt most of the time, I am very comfortable with pocket carry, and have decided that is the way I would like to be able to carry my semi-automatic, if at all possible. I am reasonably certain that I would find IWB carry uncomfortable, and am afraid that if I went that route, I would wind up not carrying the semi-automatic as much as I would like.

So, my question is whether you think it is feasible to carry one of the small 9mm compacts in a pocket holster? If so, which ones of the reliable compacts would be the easiest to carry that way, and very importantly, which holsters would you recommend?

Thanks again for all of your prior very helpful responses.

Ron

Assistant Administrator
    Ron - a useful start might be to go peek at Kevin's site - http://www.kdholsters.com altho I expect all our esteemed holster makers could help.

Thing is - this might help you better choose options. The pocket Defender type rigs can IIRC go up to small Kahr and Glock category. Look at the drop-down listings in order section at bottom of page to see what is available.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I use a DeSantis Nemesis and really love it.

Like you, here in Texas I wear cargo shorts and T-Shirts most all the time. The biggest factor I like about the Nemesis is the draw. Smooth and clean every time. I have a few leather pocket holsters that do a better job masking the gun but they don't draw well.

Hope this helps.

I went the cheaper way ($10) for my pocket holster. An UM #4 pocket holster that is use for my Kel-tec P32 and P11. Works great.

Last edited by MNBurl; December 30th, 2006 at 12:38 AM.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    You won't go wrong with the Nemesis. I have one, and it does a great job, carrying my Glock 26 in my right front pocket. I live in Las Vegas, and when the temperature is too high for a cover garment, I use the Glock. I also use it when I'm working in a clinic.

Fist, Inc...

Makes a great kydex pocket holster with a thumb push...the gun only...comes right out...(See holster link above...)

I only use my pocket holsters with my KelTec's...I would think that the larger guns would be quite uncomfortable and more difficult to retrieve from a pocket...OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

you could go with the p3at in the uncle mikes pocket holster size 1. this size is for the p32 guns, but it fits the p3at well. now kel tec has a new 9mm the pf9. it is not much bigger than the p3at, and some what smaller than their p11. you could carry it it a pocket holster.

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Lead Moderator
    My buddy carries a G27 in his front pocket of 5.11 pants, he uses a kydex holster I built for him. Alot will depend on the fit of the pants, what gun can be carried, as some of his pants work, others do not..
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I have an M&P9c on layaway and am having a Mika holster made for it. I'll post a report once it all comes together.

Yes it's feasible. I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II, 3" .45 ACP, in a Sam Andrews www.andrewsleather.com pocket holster. Comfy, secure, easy to draw from, prints like a wallet and reasonably priced.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Warhawk View Post
    I have an M&P9c on layaway and am having a Mika holster made for it. I'll post a report once it all comes together.
    That would be great. I carry my S&W 642 in a Mika and am very happy with it. Would be very interested to learn how it is working for your M&P9c, which is one of the semi-automatics I am considering.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by tegemu View Post
    Yes it's feasible. I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II, 3" .45 ACP, in a Sam Andrews www.andrewsleather.com pocket holster. Comfy, secure, easy to draw from, prints like a wallet and reasonably priced.
    Thanks. I will definitely look into that holster. Went to the website and it looks good.

Ron

I just ordered a Mika for my Kahr PM9 Late Christmas present!!!
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I've carried a S&W 442 & a Glock 26 in my front pocket for years in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster. I now carry a Kahr PM9 in my front pants pocket when I'm not carrying it IWB. The Kahr's definitely been the nicest of the 3 to carry. It's as light as the 442, as powerful as the 26, & thinner than both.

The Rorbaugh's supposed to be nice too. It's a little bit lighter, thinner, & shorter than the Kahr, but it's quite a bit more expensive. It's sites aren't as nice either.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Pocket carry -
    about a decade with a AMT BU in a flat leather jobbie, not sure what it was.
    Switched to a Sig 239 (single stack 357) and stayed pocket carry, just a very thin IWB holster in the pocket. Worked fine with jeans.
    Next moved on to a Kahr K9. Pocket carry with an Uncle Mike's UM4 (I think) was fine. Great holster for the short money.
    Finaly graduated to IWB with the Kahr K9. If you ever want to go that route, I highly recommend the Galco UDC. A t-shirt is all it takes, and I find that IWB doesn't give that telltale fat pocket syndrome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links