Newbie needs help on holster

This is a discussion on Newbie needs help on holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm not sure what type of holster to get, IWB, OWB, etc.... Do I get an open top or one with that secures the pistol ...

Thread: Newbie needs help on holster

Newbie needs help on holster

I'm not sure what type of holster to get, IWB, OWB, etc.... Do I get an open top or one with that secures the pistol into the holster with strap. Any advice would be helpful.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Most here seem to prefer an open top, with the holster retaining the gun. OWB /IWB depends on you. what type of gun , holster ,type of clothes ,ect.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by beagler View Post
    I'm not sure what type of holster to get, IWB, OWB, etc.... Do I get an open top or one with that secures the pistol into the holster with strap. Any advice would be helpful.
    What type of gun are you trying to conceal? I prefer open top holster, which allows for quickest presentation if needed. Lots of great holster makers on this forum. Use that search function and you'll find lots of info.

I'm using a Taurus Pt 145. Thanks for the info guys.

I have had good luck recommending Don Hume holsters for a new "get to know what you want" holster. They are not expensive (most are $25-$45). After 6-months to a year, must people tend to realize what they are comfortable with.

I firmly believe that telling someone what holster to use is like telling them what kind of Jeans they should wear. It's going to be different for everyone.

Here are a few I have recommended with success.

$32 Link

$49.70 link

$23.80 Link

If you are thinking about Kydex, Fobus and Uncle Mikes are just fine to start out with. Blade Tec are great and have a low dollar holster that is nice. All around $25.

I'm a leather fan myself but don't hold that against me.
    Thumb straps are never a good idea and you can hold that against me!

Good luck and plan on changing your mind when your experience teaches what will really work for you.
    "Guns aren’t toys! They’re for protecting your family, hunting dangerous or delicious animals and keeping the King of England out of your face!"
    -Crusty the Clown

Keep your booger hook off the kill switch 'till you bead the boogeyman!

Administrator

Hi beagler

Try to post as much information about yourself as possible if you want to get the best holster selection help.

For instance..

Are you thin or heavy?
    How do you normally dress?
    Are you able to wear an untucked shirt?
    Are you forced to sit a lot during the time you'll be wearing your firearm.
    Will you have to take your gun & holster on & off.
    Do you drive a lot?

Also remember...A good gun belt is part of buying a good holster.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

thanks for all the help

I appreciate everyones' input. I'm average build/height. I can wear just about anything I want when I'm carrying the firearm. I will not be driving a lot with the firearm, but I will at times. I'm confident that I want an open top, and I'm looking at a Don Hume H715M, IWB with clip on. It seems to have good reviews.

I guess Im looking for a good all around holster. I'll mostly use it while walking the dog at night, cruising around town with the wife and baby, etc... I"m not able to carry at work so that will not be an issue (public shool employee).

thanks again.

It also depends on where you are living and your typical dress style. Most people find that the "In The Waist Band" (IWB) holsters do a better job of concealing the sidearm as the barrel is hidden inside the pants. This permits the carrying of a larger sidearm without it hanging below the belt. There are a large number of standard and custom makers out there for both leather and kydex. I use IWB holsters from Brommeland, Milt Sparks and Comp-Tec. The custom holsters, though more expensive and typically require a long wait, are superior to most off the shelf types available and are very comfortable permitting all day carry. They typically also do a better job of concealing the sidearm. I carry a 5" 1911 in a Brommeland Maxcon V, a Sig P228 in a Sparks Versa Max II or a 3" 1911 in a Comp-Tac C.T.A.C. slide. All have their place. The Comp-Tac slide is very fast, reasonable in price and outstanding in delivery (4 days verses months).

It truly depend on your needs but you will find that if your holster is comfortable, you will actually carry your sidearm and not leave it at home or in the car. This means you will actually have a gun at a gunfight. If you listen to many of the people here on this site, you may avoid have the typical "box of holsters" that many aquire in the quest for the perfect holster.

JJ

Administrator
    If your mode of dress is not that critical & you can get away with an untucked shirt &/or a light jacket or long sweatshirt then I would choose an open top OWB as my first choice for your Taurus.
    Especially since that Taurus is quite a short firearm.

A high quality leather OWB & a GOOD Gun Belt is what I would go with.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I can share my findings with you if it might help.

I did a lot of research before I got my first CCW holster and while I have only been using it for about 6 months I have been very happy with the one I got. I am a fat guy so IWB was not a good option but an OWB works great for my small Taurus 85 that I carry most of the time. I can leave my shirt un tucked all the time and I do set alot during the day. The Bianchi Black Widow has been a great choice. I found that the Bianchi line of leather holsters offered a very good semi custom holster at a generic hoslter price. I think you would be hard pressed to find a flaw in their leather holster line.

As for open top or a strap that is matter of opinion. I do a lot of getting down and crawling around or climbing a ladder on inspections and I want the extra securety of the strap. It is however an extra step that you need to do in practice so as not to have a problem if you need it in an extreme situation. As for speed, it is not at all slower if you take the time to practice.

Howdy!

As previously mentioned, a lot goes into choosing a concealment holster. Having said that, in general an OWB will be more comfortable than an IWB, but an IWB will offer a higher level of concealment.
    You should never need a retention strap of any kind on a concealment holster if it is properly designed and constructed.
    If you do choose an IWB, I would strongly recommend that you choose something with a closed muzzle for a firearm this short. It will go a long way toward minimizing the tendency for it to poke and jab you. Generally speaking, open muzzle holsters are usually only confortable with longer firearms. Good luck!

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Now that's something I didn't know. So, I want a closed muzzle style holster for my Kahr PM9 as opposed to an open end one for my Glock 36? I don't understand what'll dig into me on an open muzzle holster since the barrel hopefully isn't sticking out of the end of it.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Quote Originally Posted by cockedlocked01 View Post
    Now that's something I didn't know. So, I want a closed muzzle style holster for my Kahr PM9 as opposed to an open end one for my Glock 36? I don't understand what'll dig into me on an open muzzle holster since the barrel hopefully isn't sticking out of the end of it.
    Howdy again!

A shorter firearm tends to poke/dig into you, whereas a longer gun will tend to lay beside your leg/hip area. The closed muzzle extends the length of the holster to eliminate the "Poke".

I'm carrying a glock 27 in a uncle mikes open top IWB. It's made of neoprene I believe and I forget it's there. It's so thin and comfortable I usually wear t-shirt and jean shorts and couln't be happier...and it was only $10.99

Take a look at the Bianchi Carry Loc holster. I carry a Glock 23 everyday and I love this holster. Best one I have used yet!!
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Links