Thumb break on new holster - Page 2

Thumb break on new holster

This is a discussion on Thumb break on new holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by RSSZ I don't understand the above about a factory holster. I feel that my factory holster goes from the factory to me. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thumb break on new holster

Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ View Post
    I don't understand the above about a factory holster. I feel that my factory holster goes from the factory to me. If it stops at a gunshop first maybe I'm missing something.

My Galco's come from Galco.

Galco, like any other company who's products are sold thru a distributor/dealer network has to protect their dealer's profit margin. If they sell direct to you, the end user, at less than full retail their dealers would stop selling their product. Therefore they will sell directly to the consumer, but at full boat retail. So, you still bought a $40 holster for $100 - you just provided Galco with a super profit margin.(Which is OK by me - I LOVE Capitalism )

I am not being critical - some folks just do not like to wait, and quite frankly it is better for everyone if they do buy a factory holster ("is it done yet?" calls eat up more time than any other single factor in a custom holster shop).
    I just want everyone to understand the nature of the business so they understand what they are getting for their money.

If you happen to like a particular factory holster and it meets your individual needs, then by all means give 'em a call whenever you need one. Like everything else, what suits one person will not necessarily work well for another, or vice versa.

A lot has been said about the long wait times involved with custom holsters. Trust me, if we could get 'em out faster and still maintain product quality, we would. So would every other custom shop. No business in their right mind would make a customer wait if there was an alternative.

Just as the factories have their focus (large numbers, and therefore short waits) we custom guys also have a focus (ultra high quality and performance), but in order to achieve our goals, we must work with agonizing slowness in comparison to the "big boys". This translates into long wait times.

I (like any other custom maker) could duplicate a factory's speed of production if I chose to (by hiring an army of unskilled and semi-skilled labor), but the end result would not be anything close to what we are making now in terms of product quality.

The beautiful thing about today's market is that there is something available in most any price range, in most any color, for most any application, to fit most any gun, and is available in most any time frame. You as the consumer just need to choose what combination of factors you are looking for, and then make a choice. In other words, there is more than enough business to go around, and there is something for everyone. Good luck!

VIP Member
    Thanks for that perspective, Gary! I must confess that I hadn't thought of that before!

Thanks for all the good info. from you good folks. I have good knowledge on what to look for now. I have always been a hands on type. Like I need to have it in my hands and touch it that's why I purchased the nylon cloth holster. Because it was off the shelf ready to go. Now I know I have to order and wait for a custom holster. I now know what I should get And will order it very soon. Thanks again.
    Phone guy.
    To close for missiles, switching to guns.

Lead Moderator
    Some off the shelf holsters are just fine. The custom makers make em even better, cuause of the time and hand crafting, but LE get along with production holsters every day. The custom rigs are just made with extra care and detail.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I'm starting a new thread "Difference between mass-production and custom" ; since we've gotten off topic hear.
    "He who makes things with his hands is a laborer, he who makes things with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who makes things with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist."
    www.garritysgunleather.com

Mark, you're right. This has gotten off-topic and it is my fault as much as anyone's. For that reason, I've merged parts of this thread with your new thread. Thanks for the input.

I recently received a custom holster from K&D Holsters. What a piece of art it is!! Nothing I have ever had before comes close to comparing to it. It needs no thumb break but holds the gun very secure. I will have a very hard time ever purchasing a regular production holster ever again.

Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links