Thumb break on new holster

This is a discussion on Thumb break on new holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello; I just got a new holster it is a "Soft armor 39 series" It is made from nylon. I plan on using it as ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thumb break on new holster

Hello; I just got a new holster it is a "Soft armor 39 series" It is made from nylon. I plan on using it as a inside belt holster. It comes with a thumb break strap. My carry gun is a sub compact Springfield XD 9 MM.
    It fits very snug and secure. I practice drawing and the thumb break is a problem. Does the strap have to be over the grip or over the top part were the little pin is that shows you that the gun is cocked?
    (I understand if it is over the grip the back "safety" is compromised). So the thumb break is hard and slows me down. Any Ideas?
    Thanks in advance. PG
    To close for missiles, switching to guns.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    To be honest, I'd find a way to tuck it out of the way, or cut it off, if you can do it cleanly. You definitely don't wanna worry about the thumbbreak if you gotta draw in a hurry.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

I feel uneasy if I took the strap off. I don't want to be like that guy in Costco in the Bath room stall and droping his gun. Bang PG
    To close for missiles, switching to guns.

No offense, phoneguy, but start over with a quality holster. I just looked up that holster and the Buy It Now price on E-Bay was $12.99! High price doesn't always mean high quality, but a holster that cheap isn't going to serve you well on the street or in the Costco crapper.

There are a number of quality holster makers who hang out at this forum. Given that you need something soon, I'll point out that just a 3-week wait will get you a quality leather holster for $50 from Nate at UBG Holsters. Here's the link: http://www.ubgholsters.com/

Good luck!
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Lead Moderator
    Have to agree with JimmyC. A good holster and belt will make all the difference. A secure gun that is quick to access is a what ya want. Leather or kydex will give you more secure hold than nylon, unless the nylon has internal retention.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

You will get more enjoyment and comfort out of a quality rig. This will take care of any security issues and will be something you can be proud of. I personally don't like straps for anything but ankle carry and I don't like ankle carry either.
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC View Post
    No offense, phoneguy, but start over with a quality holster. I just looked up that holster and the Buy It Now price on E-Bay was $12.99! High price doesn't always mean high quality, but a holster that cheap isn't going to serve you well on the street or in the Costco crapper.

There are a number of quality holster makers who hang out at this forum.
    Good luck!
    +1! Carrying a firearm is serious stuff, and there is not a $12.99 holster anywhere on the planet that is up to the task, imho. Either you'll end up being uncomfortable (and therefore not carry the gun), you'll not be able to draw it properly (and get shot trying) or cut the thumb-break off and possibly end up losing the firearm entirely. This could result in someone picking it up and discharging it with potentially tragic results.
    Everyone new to CCW goes thru this evolution in which they try every $50 and under holster that someone recommends to them. The end result is that they've spent way, way more money than the cost of a quality carry rig, and still don't have anything useable to show for the money spent, nor do they have a functional carry system.
    This is serious stuff - as in life and death serious. If you contact any of the better custom shops, you'll get a system that you can actually trust your life (and the lives of bystanders) to, and you'll only have to buy it once.
    The folks who I can recommend are : Milt Sparks, Matt DelFatti, Lou Alessi, Josh Bulman, Mark Garrity and myself. There may well be others who do good work too, but these are the ones I've seen, held in my hand and used. Therefore, I feel comfortable in recommending them.
    Helping newbies is part of what we do - please feel free to call my shop for a free phone consultation (423.733.1779). Good luck!

"Ditto" what Gary said. It amazes me the number of guys who spend hundreds, or close to thousands or more on a handgun and then carry it in the cheapest holster they can find.
    Addressing the thumb-break question, a quality holster does not need one, and I generally don't recommend one; but your's may need it in order to retain the pistol. Any quality open-top holster without thumb-break should allow you to shake the holstered gun upside down and still retain the gun with just a friction fit. If your pistols falls out I would begin the search for another holster. The thumb-break should cover the back of the slide. If it covers the rear of the grip, you are compromising a good initial grip on the gun while in the holster. Any good holster should allow you to achieve your full shooting grip on the pistol while it is holstered, and never have to readjust your grip after you draw.
    Another note on thumb-breaks - I do offer them because some departments require them by policy even for off-duty carry. If you carry with a thumb-break, please train with it snapped. A real pet-peave of mine as an LE firearms instructor is seeing guys who train and qualify on the range starting out unsnapped to give themselves a "little edge" or whatever. I have lost track of the officers I have seen on the street tugging at a holstered pistol unable to draw it because they had done just that and not trained in unsnapping a retention device until it became muscle memory. Do not cheat yourself! It could cost you your life! Train with your equipment exactly as you carry it!
    "He who makes things with his hands is a laborer, he who makes things with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who makes things with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist."
    www.garritysgunleather.com

Straps?...Here's An Example...

My wife seems to think I trip a lot...well, maybe I do...ah, not really. Anyway, she gets a lot of laughs when I do 'miss a step'...once in a while. I always catch myself, but she gets the laugh.

Well, I was at a local rodeo (first time) and sitting in the stands. I had my Beretta 9000S in a good Fist IWB strong side (no strap...would never have one). I decided to take a walk around and took two steps down the bleacher type steps...almost made it to the bottom, except for that LAST step...I missed it!

Two points here...my wife got another laugh (cruel but true) and when I picked myself up (unhurt...except for pride) my Beretta never moved.

Don't need no stinkin' straps (kind of like badges, eh?)...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Would agree with most all of the above.

This has been cussed and discussed here before and though not speakin' for anyone else,seem to remember the overwelming vote was NO STRAPS.

A well fitting holster and belt combo will retain your weapon(especially IWB) even during a on the floor grapple. We here do it all the time and I train with gorilla's.

Not saying that your a novice but.......when you carry your life AND your wardrobe changes pretty drastically.

Spend some money to make the carry weapon as comfortable,concealable,and as retention proof as possible.

W/respect to the holster makers here,I say you don't have to spend $100-$175 for a great rig. Shop around. My holsters cost $65-$95. Some as low as $20(for hunting rigs) -----

Gary and Mark are two of the acknowledged EXPERTS in the Holster world. Consider their advice very carefully.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

I am not at all new to handguns or firearms but I am new to legal CCW as Kansas is just now catching up to the rest of the country. After a lot of research I purchased a new holster for my old Taurus 85 revolver that I have carried for many years. I have been wearing it for several months now and love it. It is a Bianchi Black Widow.

I understand the need for a good holster and belt and I do not want to argue over strap or no strap but why do quality manufacturers like Bianchi seem to get left out around here? I have several of their leather products and I have to say they are great. Maybe not a custom rig but when purchased for the correct firearm they are very very nice holsters in the 60.00 to 100.00 range.

As a new member to the forum maybe I missed a past disscusion on this topic but it seems that only the custom, wait 6 months guys are ever recommended on here.

Quote Originally Posted by freetrapper View Post
    I understand the need for a good holster and belt and I do not want to argue over strap or no strap but why do quality manufacturers like Bianchi seem to get left out around here? I have several of their leather products and I have to say they are great. Maybe not a custom rig but when purchased for the correct firearm they are very very nice holsters in the 60.00 to 100.00 range.

As a new member to the forum maybe I missed a past disscusion on this topic but it seems that only the custom, wait 6 months guys are ever recommended on here.
    Howdy and welcome aboard!

Maybe I can shed a slightly different perspective on the "factory vs custom issue": Let's say that you buy a factory holster from a local gunshop for $100. The shop paid about $50-$55 from a distributor. The distributor paid about $40 for it from the factory. The result? You just paid $100 for a $40 holster. A holster made for $40 can only provide so much performance.

By contrast, you buy a $100 holster from a custom shop. You are bypassing the profit margins for both the gunshop and the distributer and are actually getting a $100 holster. A holster manufactured for $100 can offer you a tremendous increase in performance over any $40 holster.

The large factories have convinced the shooting public that they produce a quality product at a fair price thru very agressive marketing campaigns. They have (for decades) been giving free holsters to gunwriters who, in exchange for free toys have written all about how great brand X holsters are. The magazines publish these articles because brand X holsters are one of their leading advertisers. Advertising is what makes a profit for the magazine publisher. (The price you pay for a magazine usually just covers the cost of printing and distribution - the magazine's actual profit comes from the advertisers.)

This is why, time and again, people read about a product being wonderful in "X Monthly Gun Rag ". They run out and buy one, and are often bitterly disappointed with it. However, month after month "X Monthly Gun Rag" is still spewing the same stuff, saying the same great things about the same products. Then one of two things happens to the consumer: They either quit reading said gun rag (having realized that they've been hosed) and start to branch out into the custom field in search of higher quality products. OR, they believe all the marketing hype and tell themselves that "this is a Brand X", it's the best!

I can tell you with absolute certainty that an $80-$100 holster from Milt Sparks, Lou Alessi, Josh Bulman, Mark Garrity, Matt DelFatti or myself will absolutely bury a $150 factory holster in terms of comfort, concealment, speed, retention and longevity.

Please understand that my comments are not directed at you, personally. Rather, I got sick and tired a long time ago at all the lies, misinformation and general bovine excrement being propagated by the firearms press. Imho, it misleads and takes advantage of people who are new and just trying to learn. To me, that is unconscionable.

I would invite you to spend some time here researching what actual end users have to say about various products, services and techniques that are available to a person new to CCW. You'll get sound advice from people who have no profit motivation because they are consumers, rather than vendors. This is a GREAT bunch of guys and gals who will bend over backwards to help a newbie. Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and c'mon in!

Thanks for the answer and I must say that it was a good read and I would have to agree with you on all of the comments on price markups and the gun press in general. I have been around firearms for a while and life in general for a while and I was not meaning to say that a mass produced item of any kind was better than a custom item. I hope that was not how I sounded. What I was trying to elude to was that I have tried a few mass manufactured holsters and have found them, so far, to be a pretty good deal and worth mentioning. I also have my fair share of trash from Uncle Mikes and the likes.

I researched a lot of holsters both custom and mass produced prior to buying this last one and I must admit the customs are nice and may very well be in my future. One of the main problems is lack of finding custom makers. To the average new concealed carry man or woman the custom maker is hard to find. The internet is the only way to find them and without sites like these and reading through forums and such it is hard to know anything about custom makers. I will also mention that many, not all I am sure but many of the custom rigs I liked did not come to fit the 2" 5 shot wheel gun that I carry. I even called a couple of custom makers and was told that they did not offer the models I was interested in to fit my gun. This led me to look more toward the larger factory line of holsters. My uncle has carried an old style Bianchi pancake for years for concealed carry and he loves it and it has served him very well. I found one in a model I liked at a local shop in left handed to fit my wheel gun and found it to fit me and the gun nice and am quite happy with it.

With all of that said I will have to comment that I like the idea of a custom and I hope to someday own one to see how much better the fit and function will be. When that day comes I will look long and hard at your holsters as you took the time to talk with me here. I also want to say that this site has been a wealth of information to me. The information for the most part has all been hands on info from others that have been there and done that. The only problem is that there are thousands of others that have not seen this site and others like it and they are all getting there life and death information from the very gun rags you spoke of above.
    Last edited by freetrapper; December 29th, 2006 at 04:06 PM.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    I don't understand the above about a factory holster. I feel that my factory holster goes from the factory to me. If it stops at a gunshop first maybe I'm missing something.

My Galco's come from Galco. But you are absolutely correct about the gunshop markup.....although that was "explained" to me in another thread. Tell ya the truth,I actually buy as little as possible from my local gunshops. Even if ya'll feel that the markups are completely justified,I certinly do not.

My hunting rigs are synthetic.(for longivity and ease of cleaning,I just hose 'em down) They cost between $20. for the belt rigs, and for the chest rigs that I tote my Desert Eagle,Taurus,and T/C in, I paid somewhere around $60. That, for the Bianchi Ranger's which I have had for 15+ years and put through pure hell.

I got some of these holsters at gunshops but most at gunshows or direct from the manufacturer. The ones that came from gunshops I could try my weapon in before buying. I could check all the features of the holster before buying. And if I decided that I wanted the holster,I paid my money and walked out with it. If for some reason I wasn't happy with the holster I took it back for exchange or refund(with reciept). No shipping either.

All this, with out having to wait the times that I hear on this forum. 4...6...8weeks +. Some wait several months. This,not for me.

I have even heard people here say that they went out and bought another holster(of $40-$60+) just so they would have a carring system during the wait for the custom holster that they had just ordered. Nope, not for me.

Now I'm sure that you super custom guys turn out a fine product. Worth the money paid. I would never try to talk someone out of buying and waiting for one of your products.

Soooooo.....I'll keep using my Galco's,Bianchi's,Fobus',and Blackhawks. After all, I'll probably never have to buy another......you know.....with their longivity and all. -----

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links