Hbe Update!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2

Hbe Update!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a discussion on Hbe Update!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; That's the whole point, his os drive is going out and will have to be replaced. With truimage he could install the image on a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hbe Update!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's the whole point, his os drive is going out and will have to be replaced. With truimage he could install the image on a new drive but with windows backup going he still would have nothing, in fact it may have been working but was crap once the drive bit it. If that drive goes out there will have to be a bare metal restore of a new drive using your backup image. I have had drives fail completely and windows backup is worthless at that point. If you do not back up to prepare for a failed drive, then why bother? Even a virus can wipe out windows backup, I've seen it happen many times, but not trueimage or ghost since you have a bootable disk. Basic is right, VERY basic and why would you recommend someone to trust their business to a basic program? If your OS drive fails you cannot use it, it's worthless, period. Trust it if you like, but I build computers and have seen many see the light after they could not restore a windows backup and use a real program AFTER they had to do a complede new install losing everything due to either virus or hard drive crash. Recommending someone to back up a business with it is like telling them to keep track of their finances with a post-it note pad.

If you get a virus and restore using the windows program it DOES NOT get rid of the virus (depending ont he type), you are still stuck. If you use trueimage or ghost and restore the image the virus is gone, completely. It restores everything.
    Last edited by saltysquid; December 31st, 2006 at 08:56 PM.
    If I get cranky It's because the VA is changing my meds again.
    NRA and DAV life member.
    1911Auto

Don't you just love the little jerks who write viruses? I'd like to throttle all of them.

Glad to have you back Eric. I hope everything goes well for you in 2007. No more viruses and all.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by lee n. field View Post
    Sorry, I disagree. Ntbackup is a good basic filewise backup program, and restoring files from a good backup is reliable and straightforward. It is not, however, for doing a bare metal restore.
    I think Salty may be confused between "System Restore" and NTBackup.

NTBackup will give you a complete recovery. And it will prevent you from saving the image to the same hard drive your OS is on.

But before I get flamed for saying so... I should add. No business users I know of use NTBackup. Scheduling, recovery time, and media choices force professionals to use Veritas (now Symantec) or ArcServer or some similar backup software. For small operations, remote backup services over the Internet are becoming popular too.
    Last edited by Geo2020; January 1st, 2007 at 06:17 PM.

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Good to have you back Eric. OK guys, how about a question, what about a second drive running in a raid array?

DC Founder
    Do yourself a favor and get you a Maxtor One Touch. They are cheap considering they are simple to connect (USB) and contain backup software (by emc) that allows you to specify exactly what you want backed up at an interval you also specify. Or, you can not sepcify an interval and just hit a button whenever you want to do a backup, like when you go to bed or to the range. When you come back it's all done. If you specify, it will do a full backup initially and an incremental thereafter. Cheap insurance when you absolutely, positively can't afford to lose something....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Quote Originally Posted by Geo2020 View Post
    I think Salty may be confused between "System Restore" and NTBackup.

NTBackup will give you a complete recovery. And it will prevent you from saving the image to the same hard drive your OS is on.

But before I get flamed for saying so... I should add. No business users I know of use NTBackup. Scheduling, recovery time, and media choices force professionals to use Veritas (now Symantec) or ArcServer or some similar backup software. For small operations, remote backup services over the Internet are becoming popular too.
    I wouldn't trust NT backup for a business either but he said in his first post:

Anyway, best bet for backup is to get yourself a couple external usb hard disks. Windows backup works fine. If you have the deliberatly crippled XP Home, the install file is on the XP Home install CD. If you have business records on your computer, back up nightly.
    He said windows backup which is not clear, I took it to mean system restore/windows backup . He then changed it to NTbackup in his second post so I figured HE was confused on the two. I still would not trust ntbackup for a business or system restore that backs up windows with windows with backing up anything at all. With a good backup program you just boot into their program using their boot disk and it's a piece of cake. You don't have to boot into windows.

Good to have you back Eric. OK guys, how about a question, what about a second drive running in a raid array?
    If you are running 2 drives then that depends on what array of raid you are running. For example of running raid 0 and you lose one of the drives then info on both are lost. If running raid 1 you have a backup. I prefer to use my raid not actually running in raid array and just backing up to a hard drive with acronis trueimage, or ghost, or something else that is actually worth using.
    Last edited by saltysquid; January 2nd, 2007 at 10:22 PM.
    If I get cranky It's because the VA is changing my meds again.
    NRA and DAV life member.
    1911Auto

It was great that you are back up and running!
    I just called Eric yesterday to check on the status of my order(My first holster,belt,mag/light holder). He said it should ship next week...He is a great guy to talk to.
    I hope you have better luck in this New Year Eric!
    "One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them"--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    Do yourself a favor and get you a Maxtor One Touch. They are cheap ...
    Ditto on these units. Highly recommended. I've had one for the past year and can't imagine doing without it. It's encrypted. You can quickly take it with you, or squirrel it away in the vault or safe deposit box if you're leaving for awhile. The backup software couldn't be simpler, once set up. I've got the Norton Ghost product and other encryption software, and it works great with all of it. You can set a schedule (ie, a full snapshot every week, or whatever) for backups. Makes it simple to restore data, if you get hit. Of course, you'd need to reinstall Windows and "prime the pump" (ie, get your machine in order), but then the restoration of any one of the earlier snapshots is then a snap.

Glad you're up again, Eric.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links