Hbe Update!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a discussion on Hbe Update!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys. This is strange to actualy be typing on the net again. In early december my puter got a virus? that they cant determine ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hbe Update!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar

Hey guys. This is strange to actualy be typing on the net again. In early december my puter got a virus? that they cant determine or find, but it ate....literally ate sectors in my hard drive. Anyway after trying to recover information for over 2 weeks....at my wallets request, they finally gave up. Im back online...new harddrive ....good news.....but have NO RECORD of over 5000 Emails....bad news. So if anyone wants information please call me. Ill answering my voice mail this afternoon.

Happy holidays, God bless and shoot well ...........Everyone.

Eric / HBE
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

VIP Member
    Good to have you back up and running Eric.

My HK P7 is anxiously awaiting her new home.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Lead Moderator
    Sorry to hear about the problems. Good to see you back.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I would advise anyone who has received an email from Eric since the beginning of December to delete the email and make sure their anti virus software is up to date.

Me? I'm on a Mac so I'm fine :D

(Eric, you might want to look into dumping Windows to prevent this problem in the future) www.ubuntulinux.org or www.apple.com

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Eric , did you get the drive back bud ?
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

VIP Member
    Welcome back, Eric. Sorry, about the emails and the drive. When I was in the computer business one thing I stated over and over to customers was, "It's not a question of IF your hard drive will go out, but of WHEN."

By the way, the next item on your to do list is my pancake holster with snaps to fit a 1.5" belt for my Smith and Wesson 1066 10mm, smooth out cowhide in black with high back, FBI cant. Single snap mag holster also in black.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member
    glad you're back up and running Eric!
    RKBA

John

That's Gotta' Hurt...

The business...sorry 'bout that...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Thanks guys.....yep, It had to happen sometime...Ive lost my website completely, had to fix,tweak,reboot.....reboot again for the 10000th time, update this....delete that and so on! Working on the web/computer is great if all works well....but it AINT no perfect world.

Happy holidays and god bless
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

I back everything up on a storage hard drive and use acronis True Image, it's the best as far as I'm concerned. I've had 3 hard drives go out over the years, it happens. The odds though of 2 hard drives going out at the same time are slim though and I have never had both an anctive and storage drive go out at that same time.
    If I get cranky It's because the VA is changing my meds again.
    NRA and DAV life member.
    1911Auto

I agree in having a back up for all information especially when in business.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Administrator
    Eric ~ Glad that it's all straight now.
    Arggggg....computer problems can really mess things up.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

In early december my puter got a virus? that they cant determine or find, but it ate....literally ate sectors in my hard drive.
    I'm dubious that it was be a virus. I've never seen one yet that causes bad sectors. More likely (and granted, I wasn't there to see it) it was simple drive failure.

Anyway, best bet for backup is to get yourself a couple external usb hard disks. Windows backup works fine. If you have the deliberatly crippled XP Home, the install file is on the XP Home install CD. If you have business records on your computer, back up nightly.

Windows backup is junk, disable that and use something else. The problem is you have to be able to go into your operating system to restore a windows backup and if that hard drive is the problem you are sol amd may as well not have anything at all. I've seen tons of problems for people using windows backup and not being able to restore. Use something that you can create a good, easy bootable disk from like Acronis Trueimage where you boot to it and don't have to be able to boot into the operating system to restore. You can restore to a brand new drive if necessary and it will look the same as when you did a backup last. You cannot do that with windows backup if your os drive goes down, that's the problem when your backup program is integrated with windows on the disk with the operating system.

If I had a business I would set truimage to do an automatic nightly update to the backup image, as it is I do not have a business so I backup less than once a day. It does not do a complete backup every time unless you want it to, it will add new stuff to the image. Windows restore is probably find for someone not too worried about not being to restore, but trusting it to a business is asking for trouble.
    Last edited by saltysquid; December 31st, 2006 at 07:50 PM.
    If I get cranky It's because the VA is changing my meds again.
    NRA and DAV life member.
    1911Auto

Windows backup is junk, disable that and use something else.
    Sorry, I disagree. Ntbackup is a good basic filewise backup program, and restoring files from a good backup is reliable and straightforward. It is not, however, for doing a bare metal restore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links