Differences between Mass-production & Custom

This is a discussion on Differences between Mass-production & Custom within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by RSSZ Gary, Send me one of your very highest grade(but not fancy) holsters. Right off the shelf...OR...one that has not been made ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Differences between Mass-production & Custom

Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ View Post
    Gary, Send me one of your very highest grade(but not fancy) holsters. Right off the shelf...OR...one that has not been made up special. I'll wear it/use it for 6 weeks,then evaluate it on this forum.

After that I will send it back to you.

Howz that ?? ----

P.S. I carry a 3" Kimber(UC CDP II)
    Why should he send you one just because you don't want to spend the money ? or dont think a custom holster is needed or wanted ..

Do a search on Gary on all the gun forums you won't find more than 1-2 complaints and most of them are time it takes to get a holster.

Same with Mark and most of the custom guys

Hell if there sending out free holsters send um to me

2. Remove Ads

Wish I had this information some time ago! Think of the wasted dollars!

I ordered a Milt Sparks last year -- had to wait 3 1/2 months for it. Love it! Worth the wait and the money. But I didn't know what I had until reading these posts! Ordered another MS three weeks ago and was told the wait was 16 to 20 weeks! Next time I will be sure to give Gary a go.

Thanks for a great presentation of holster knowledge!
    Last edited by xercise2nd; December 31st, 2006 at 09:42 AM. Reason: spelling correction

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    I like many people started out with mass produced holsters. Then a couple of years ago purchased my first custom holster. I am still blown away every time I put it on. The fit, finish and comfort can not be beat. Since then I have ordered a couple more and am waiting right now for another. I doubt I will ever buy anything but custom again. Thanks guys for your dedication and willingness not to compromise quality.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    A lot of good info. Thanks for spending the time to put the information out, guys. It is a lot of information we just couldn't know unless it was put out there in a compact form.

Thanks again.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Quote Originally Posted by CopperKnight View Post
    A lot of good info. Thanks for spending the time to put the information out, guys. It is a lot of information we just couldn't know unless it was put out there in a compact form.

Thanks again.
    You are most welcome, sir.

I tried a mass production leather holster for an XD service. After only two months use it lost ALL grip on the weapon. When I say all I mean zero grip.
    That and not liking kydex is why I ordered custom holsters for my carry weapons.

I think THE most important things Mark and Garry point out is the stitching and glueing and the matching the size of the belt slot to the belt. Very important things indeed.

There is also the ability to adjust the Cant of a particular model to fit YOUR body and your useage. This can be all the difference in how a holster works for you. For instance you can increase or decrease that cant if you need to, whereas a factory one is set in stone. Always a compromize of each the average person. No one but a custom maker can do this for you. However, its up to you to determine what you need. But at least you can.

However they both failed to get into the esthetic advantages they offer. The ability to personalize or dress it up to be YOUR special holster. They obviously excell at that sort of thing. Most of this sort of thing has to be done before stitching it together. This is, to me, a very important thing that puts them over the top (as if they were not already).

To be honest with you, I don't find the mass produced holsters to be significantly cheaper either. There is the wait... there is sometimes a tad of savings... but it's not significant. They serve thier purpose to get you by until your custom gets there. But overall they are average and a compromize from what is ideal.

How about holster belts? There is no doubt that your standard dress or everyday belt needs to be upgraded when you decide to carry. Galco, DeSantis, Bianchi all offer leather belts in various grades. Do the custom belts shine here for the same reasons or are there less differances as far as the belts go?

Quote Originally Posted by freetrapper View Post
    How about holster belts? There is no doubt that your standard dress or everyday belt needs to be upgraded when you decide to carry. Galco, DeSantis, Bianchi all offer leather belts in various grades. Do the custom belts shine here for the same reasons or are there less differances as far as the belts go?
    Howdy!

There are a couple of significant differences between production and handmade gunbelts. First off, a properly made gunbelt is constructed from two layers of full grain ("smooth") leather. Suede linings (commonly found on commercial belts) offer nothing in the way of additional strength or stability - just bulk and an increased price tag. The leather used by the custom guys will, in general, be of significantly higher quality than what is used in the factory products.
    (For example, in my shop only one belt is made per hide. The reason for this is that there is a narrow strip of material along the spine of a hide that is very, very dense, yet quite supple. It makes a very tough belt that does not crack, but will stand up long term to heavy use and offers very good stability for the holster.)
    Factory belts more often than not are tan with fancy stitching and just scream GUN! when someone sees you wearing one (and they look really geeky with a suit).
    In short, even if you happen upon a factory belt that is properly constructed and looks "right" for it's intended purpose, the material quality is likely such that it will have a significantly shorter service life than a handmade.
    I hope this helps. Good luck!

Wow, this is one of the most informative threads I have seen in a while. Loads of good info here and right from the experts.

Thanks Gary for the great education on holster making. I think I may be ordering one from you at some point in the not too distant future.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Gary, Send me one of your very highest grade(but not fancy) holsters. Right off the shelf...OR...one that has not been made up special. I'll wear it/use it for 6 weeks,then evaluate it on this forum.

After that I will send it back to you.

Howz that ?? ----

P.S. I carry a 3" Kimber(UC CDP II)

RSSZ,

I am also wanting to know why you feel you are the special one to offer your services in order to get what you want and not have to wait and pay for it like the rest of us?

I have waited months upon months for holster that I actually PURCHASED. None of these guy's need your input as they have hundreds of reviews from the rest of us that prove custom leather is by far better made thus having and earning the wait times.

1) Why would your review be better than the hundred's already on here and other board's?

2) I think this is just a good way for you to not send that holster back after 6 week's and just send a check instead and so you now have a custom holster that you didn't have to wait for or pay for up-front where as all of us loyal customers wait patiently for our custom orders to come in and usually have already paid for it in advance.

So please tell us why you think you deserve special consideration/treatment and are above the rest of us in evaluating a product. If you don't want to wait and pay like the rest of us stick with Galco or whatever production brand you want.

This has turned into a great thread with Mark and Gary's intel but I was sitting back to see where this would go and Gary did the right thing by sending you to a dealer that carries his holsters solving your wait time problem/issues but you will have to pay your own way like the rest of us and yet some how I bet you will never make that call to the dealer to get one.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

I called Gary and talked with him in person and he was even more help there. Not only is this forum supper helpful but some of the people here are even better. Gary I could not be more impressed with our conversation, thanks again and you will be hearing from me in the near futur.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Hey Ti and Bud, hate to tell ya but the CIA didn't kill Kennedy either.

There was no conspiracy of biblical proportions to try to get a FREE and/or QUICK holster from Gary.

What seemed to have happened is that I greatly underestimated how many people are completely and truly pasionate about their high dollar,long wait,specialty holsters. This, for a quality item I suspect. I have never owned one. That is precisely the reason that I didn't put down the people that chose to wait and pay for a custom holster. This is why I never stated that people should not wait for the product. Or pay the prices that the custom stuff brings.

Without looking back,I think that I simply stated that I would not pay or wait. This is simply my opinion. I do not feel that anyone else is ignorant or stupid for waiting or paying for a custom rig.

Ti, to answer the questions that you put to me :
    1.My review would not be any better than any other persons review. A review is simply an opinion. I felt that others might want to hear a true "after been worn/used" review. That's it. Nothing sinister. I had no idea that the product had been reviewed here or anywhere else "hundreds" of times.
    2. No,you got that wrong also. If I would have liked the holster I would have sent it back as I stated that I would. And I'm not trying to jump in front of you in line for a holster. Gary told me that a dealer has them in stock. "Service grade" would have been fine with me. Bottom line is,if you want to pay $150-$200 "up front" then wait for several months for a product,that's fine with me. Remember now,not for me,but fine with me if anyone else does it.

And finally,special treatment. Nope,a holster off the shelf to me sez that if it's on the shelf,it hasn't been spoken for.(guess the no wait thing is possible,which is good) Was this the holster that you have been waiting on ??Didn't want it for free either. Was gonna send it back after eval. I am basically an honest person.

You was right 'bout one thing..........I don't want to wait and pay like the rest of you so I will just simply stick with Galco or a production brand.

Sure would have liked to see/feel what one of them specialty holsters was all about though. Maybe I'll order one ...or.......?? -----

Bottom line is,if you want to pay $150-$200 "up front" then wait for several months for a product,that's fine with me. Remember now,not for me,but fine with me if anyone else does it.

.........I don't want to wait and pay like the rest of you so I will just simply stick with Galco or a production brand.

-----
    RSZZ,
    Just so you know, almost all of my holsters are in the $65.00-$85.00 range, which is the same price point as Galco; and I do not charge up front.
    I put the customer's contact info and order in my order book and contact them for payment when the holster is completed and ready to ship. Yes, there may be an extensive and ever-growing wait, but I do not even ask for a credit card number until the holster is ready to go out the door.
    "He who makes things with his hands is a laborer, he who makes things with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who makes things with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist."
    www.garritysgunleather.com

RSSZ,

It's obvious that you are never going to get the world of custom leather holsters and other good's from the top makers in the industry.

That's ok, as i will buy your share of them for myself.

I have two Def-Con's SG ordered with Gary that will ship in the next week's for $84.95 each.

I have two "Deluxe" IN-COGNITO's ordered with Mark with exotic ostrage trim at no additional charge for $100.00 each (would have been $85.00 but I wanted the Deluxe option). Some of the nicest looking leather I have seen.

I have two Desbiens Gun Leather (Rhome) holsters on the way, a Gunner, a PC and a double mag pouch all for $120.00.

the inflated $150.00 - $200.00 pricing that you speak of is unfounded and I would by far rather have 1 of the custom made hosters to any 4 Galco's.

As Mark said he doesn't charge up front, some do some don't. I really don't care either way as I have committed to buying the holster's and am fine with the wait as I know this up front I will wait for a quality product. Your equipment is as important as the weapon you carry.

I still don't see why a custom holster maker should send you a holster, for free, for you to review when they 1) Don't need to pay for reviews as their wait times are directly related to how busy they are and 2) They would get a used holster back from you that they would have to either discard or sell at a wholesale discount price.

Ti
    Last edited by Ti Carry; January 2nd, 2007 at 10:31 PM.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links