Differences between Mass-production & Custom - Page 3

Differences between Mass-production & Custom

This is a discussion on Differences between Mass-production & Custom within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just ordered a IWB holster, OWB mag holder and gun belt from Mark this past weekend. Just like he stated he asked only what ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Differences between Mass-production & Custom

I just ordered a IWB holster, OWB mag holder and gun belt from Mark this past weekend. Just like he stated he asked only what I wanted, my contact info and not once mentioned any type of payment.

I'm so busy myself I'll prolly forget about it (Yeah, right) till he gets in touch with me and tells me it's done! It will be a nice Christmas gift to myself, right around my birthday!

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Here's something to remember these guys have done this long enough that as they talk to you they can give you some really useful tips and help you decide on a holster that you will really like.

Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ View Post
    Hey Ti and Bud, hate to tell ya but the CIA didn't kill Kennedy either.

There was no conspiracy of biblical proportions to try to get a FREE and/or QUICK holster from Gary.

What seemed to have happened is that I greatly underestimated how many people are completely and truly pasionate about their high dollar,long wait,specialty holsters. This, for a quality item I suspect. I have never owned one. That is precisely the reason that I didn't put down the people that chose to wait and pay for a custom holster. This is why I never stated that people should not wait for the product. Or pay the prices that the custom stuff brings.

Without looking back,I think that I simply stated that I would not pay or wait. This is simply my opinion. I do not feel that anyone else is ignorant or stupid for waiting or paying for a custom rig.

Ti, to answer the questions that you put to me :
    1.My review would not be any better than any other persons review. A review is simply an opinion. I felt that others might want to hear a true "after been worn/used" review. That's it. Nothing sinister. I had no idea that the product had been reviewed here or anywhere else "hundreds" of times.
    2. No,you got that wrong also. If I would have liked the holster I would have sent it back as I stated that I would. And I'm not trying to jump in front of you in line for a holster. Gary told me that a dealer has them in stock. "Service grade" would have been fine with me. Bottom line is,if you want to pay $150-$200 "up front" then wait for several months for a product,that's fine with me. Remember now,not for me,but fine with me if anyone else does it.

And finally,special treatment. Nope,a holster off the shelf to me sez that if it's on the shelf,it hasn't been spoken for.(guess the no wait thing is possible,which is good) Was this the holster that you have been waiting on ??Didn't want it for free either. Was gonna send it back after eval. I am basically an honest person.

You was right 'bout one thing..........I don't want to wait and pay like the rest of you so I will just simply stick with Galco or a production brand.

Sure would have liked to see/feel what one of them specialty holsters was all about though. Maybe I'll order one ...or.......?? -----
    OK, as Gary Brommeland, the holster maker, I'll tell you that the holster in question has a retail price of $84.95 - very comparable to factory stuff. It HAS already been (favorably) reviewed hundreds of times and we are backed up weeks and weeks because of the demand for them.
    I have no concerns about a "conspiracy" to con me out of a holster - I simply would not send you one without your paying for it, nor would I put you ahead of my other clients. I do occasionally give a holster away to persons who really need one and cannot pay for it, or to those rare individuals who's qualifications are such that I will ask them to evaluate a new design. I do not believe either is the case here.

Now, as Gary Brommeland, Moderator, I'll tell you that your sarcasm is not appreciated here. Please tone it down a bit - we are seeking to provide a comfortable, family friendly environment for the exchange of ideas pertaining to CCW.

DC Founder
    I was, at one time, an "off the shelf" holster guy. Gary Brommeland (MaxConV IWB) and Sam Andrews' (Hybrid OWB) holsters changed my mind faster than I thought possible for a stubborn guy.

The truth is revealed as soon as you put one on and wear it. I didn't know what comfort was until I experienced a custom. And those holsters still fit me and the gun exactly the same as they did the day I received them; better actually. Since I am a full sized 1911 kinda guy, I don't have to buy a lot of different holsters, but I can tell ya, if I can't afford the custom leather to put a new gun in, I won't buy the gun.

Custom holsters are worth every penny a craftsman charges and then some, but, personally, I'm glad everyone doesn't want one. Makes the wait time for the rest of us a whole lot shorter....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

I always think it's frickin hilarious when people call custom holsters :high dollar". Did you even check the prices of the holsters before you said this? $150-$200 "up front" are you smoking crack?!? Lets see- I have owned 3 or 4 Sparks holsters, my watch six's cost $65 and my VMII around $90. I ordered a holster from Mark here and the base price IIRC was $70, plus I requested a mouthband stiffener for I think another $15. (never once charged up front either) Lets see....I have a buddy on this forum who bought a Galco for either $60 or $80 and now can't even sell it right now...he ended up paying like $45 for a UBG holster that he likes a lot more.

And I just looked up the Galco Royal Guard.- $106 cookie cutter Galco vs a Garrity or Sparks for around $65-$100 depending on what you order, made to YOUR specs (color, ride height, cant etc.)
    High dollar indeed

If your going to criticize, that's fine. Just be sure to criticize factual things such as th long wait. Don't make up BS about $150-$200 holsters and paying up front when that's just not true.
    Last edited by Hobbes; January 3rd, 2007 at 12:26 AM.

This is a great thread for info guys, lets not ruin it with bickering.......

Aside from the very informative reads courtesy of Mark and Gary, this thread did nothing but bolster and reassure my decision to purchase a MCV from Gary a few weeks back. Can't wait - I imagine it should be coming in a month or two now. I have a Don Hume 715 to tide me over until then.

Besides, I'm still waiting on my permit, so it's moot at this point.

As far as the pricing, when speaking with Gary's wife, who handles the phone when he's busy working on crafting those fine custom holsters (which seems to be quite often, as I've never spoken to him in person yet ) it seems they're quite happy to take down your information for payment up front, or wait until the work is complete and ready to ship before billing, from my understanding.

It's nice to walk in somewhere and leave with a product, or have something shipped immediately, but at the very least with a custom rig, you can pay the money, forget you paid, and then BAM! -- surprise holster a couple months later! Like finding a $20 in an old pair of jeans, but so much cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    It's nice to walk in somewhere and leave with a product, or have something shipped immediately, but at the very least with a custom rig, you can pay the money, forget you paid, and then BAM! -- surprise holster a couple months later! Like finding a $20 in an old pair of jeans, but so much cooler.
    I'll buy a off the shelf if it's for something that i want to carry right away and waiting on the custom one to come in. Beats a paper sack. I mostly just carry one of the other pistols until my custom made "high dollar" rig gets in.

Here's one to remember. I bought one of my first custom holsters holsters from Sam Andrews and while talking too him he said if I was not happy for any reason just let him know. Bought the VMII from Craid and Audry at Lighting Arms. Guess what she said while we were talking? If for any reason I was not happy let them know. I bought a off the shelf holster at a very large gun store in Memphis, spur of the moment buy for a pistol I did not have with me at the time. Got it home was not happy with the way it rode. When I go back, it's sorry you should have tried it on here. When I said I did not have the pistol with me when I bought it. He tells me I should have asked to use their pistol, I explain to him that that option was not offered to me. Still sorry. Guess where I don't buy holsters. While talking to Gary, Rhome, and Eric they all told me if you are not happy let them know and they'd make it right. Guess where I do buy holsters.

Thumbs up

For those who have never purchased a custom holster, the purchase comes down to one decision: purchase a product, or commission an artisan. That's the basic difference. Of course, if you do commission that artisan, you've now got a whole pile of new decisions to make ... but I can't help you there.

For all of the above reasons, I've stuck with custom rigs to hold my pistols. By far, the fit and performance exceeds any other off-the-shelf unit I have found.

Kudos on the tips & tricks, guys! Very informative.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    This has been a very interesting thread. Hopefully, my question won't sound too dense. I've pretty much figured out most of the custom makers, but some companies I'm not 100% sure about. For example, a while back someone wrote that Highnoon holsters makers production holsters, but I thought they've advertised that certain holsters are custom made. I'm sure there're others, too.

So, is there a list of "custom" holster makers?
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

I don't know anything about HighNoon holsters in particular, so I cannot comment specifically. However, in general, many large shops will do "custom" work - that is make something that is not a standard (for them) item. That is not necessarily the same as getting a handmade holster from a custom maker, because although the big factory did make you a "custom" holster, they utilized the same materials, techniques and standards found in their production holsters in doing so.
    Basically, if you can call the shop and talk to the guy who is making your holster, you are much more likely to be getting one that is handmade. One man and other very small shops are what I'd look for in choosing someone to make a holster for myself (assuming of course, that I did not actually own a holster shop ).
    When you find someone who's work appeals to you, then start searching the forums for feedback from actual end users. You should end up with quality work by following these guidelines.
    I am somewhat hesitant to recommend makers by name because I will not recommend someone who's work I have not seen/used first hand. So, if I leave someone off of my list, it does not necesarily mean that I don't consider their product quality to be up to par - it might just mean that I have not seen their work. Having said that, I can recommend Lou Alessi, Josh Bulman, Milt Sparks, Mark Garrity, Matt DelFatti and of course, my favorite - me .

Fantastic thread! Thank you sharing this information with us. I had no idea so much went into a custom holster. Thank you for taking the time to give us this valuable insight.

Quote Originally Posted by cockedlocked01 View Post
    This has been a very interesting thread. Hopefully, my question won't sound too dense. I've pretty much figured out most of the custom makers, but some companies I'm not 100% sure about. For example, a while back someone wrote that Highnoon holsters makers production holsters, but I thought they've advertised that certain holsters are custom made. I'm sure there're others, too.

So, is there a list of "custom" holster makers?

A Production holster comes from a factory. They may or may not offer a few options like Lining, left or right hand, color.
    Usually the holsters will come with one size belt loops or slots rather than have them made the way you want it. They will not make the holster with a different cant angle or with or without a thumb break. The attention to detail is usually no where near the level that a custom maker does.

Production makers like Galco, Gould and Goodrich, Biannchi, High Noon, Uncle Mikes, and others usually rely on a tension screw to retain the firearm in the holster rather than a proper fit. Custom makers will hand select the leather before the holster is even cut and pay attention to detail every step of the way. The quality of a custom holster versus production can only be described as an exponential increase in fit and finish, kinda like a pair of fine Italian leather shoes versus Chinese vinyl from Payless.

About the only maker who is in a odd class I call semi custom is FIST. Fist uses production techniques but makes a custom holster in that they have many many options on the designs.
    There are no problems in life too large to be handled by the use of small arms and high explosives

In god we trust, all others are suspects

$10.00 transfers in Houston, Texas

VIP Member
    I vote that this thread gets saved!
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links