An old topic with a more specific focus

This is a discussion on An old topic with a more specific focus within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am curious just to see what the answers will be. I know there's a couple threads here asking people how they carry in general, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An old topic with a more specific focus

An old topic with a more specific focus

I am curious just to see what the answers will be.

I know there's a couple threads here asking people how they carry in general, and how they feel about certain methods, but here's a question I haven't quite seen an answer to:

If you do not use a cover garment such as a vest or a jacket and have to tuck your shirt in, how do you carry?

This seems very problematic to me as most people tend to tuck in the waistband. I can think of two very obvious carry methods that solve this problem, but I wonder if there are more. The more I learn about CCW, the more ingenuity I see out there on the market.

Of course you may never have to carry under such conditions, in which case feel free to speculate how you would do so. :)

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    I use a Tuck This Desantis holster . All that shows is a edge of the clip outside the belt. Put my spare mag. in a knive pouch right next to the clip to further hide the gun. I can use an ankle holster too , but like waist carry better. Would like to try the Kramer shirt holster too.

Administrator

Tuck This ~ Desantis It's called: ~ "Tuck This"

Euclidean ~ Here is a photo for you.
    I was going to add more photos...but I decided "tuck it" at the last minute.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

That's very clever. The ingenuity of the CCW market just continues to amaze me.

Might have to get me one of those.. Lot of times i carry mine in my work coat pocket since im inside and out more outside i can use the coat

Lead Moderator
    It works well for me , another option I found but haven't tried is a c-tac holster.
    http://www.comp-tac.com/ct_ctac.html. It does seem bulkier than the Desantis.

DC Founder
    I have never tried one, but in an earlier thread there were quite a few people that liked the SmartCarry. As my pants need replacing, I might try one at some point but I normally just wear a shirttail out over my IWB holster and it hides it pretty well....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Wow... SmartCarry is probably a fantastic product, but I'm not sure I want a gun... down there. That's something I'm not pyschologically ready for.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    Wow... SmartCarry is probably a fantastic product, but I'm not sure I want a gun... down there. That's something I'm not pyschologically ready for.
    LOL, yeah there is that. I always imagined how comical it would be for a BG to confront you and suddenly have you reaching for the front of your pants. He might just turn around and run....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Then again I'm mildly interested in getting one of those thigh bands for times when deep cover is better than no cover. To pull from one of those (assuming yer an XY type) you have to unzip your fly and stick your hand in. It seems like a pretty quick draw but it sure would look weird.

I'd rather have that then have a gun so close to my, ahem, vitals. Not to mention it would get in the way if you had to go relieve yourself. Honestly, how does one, er, dispose of liquid bodily wastes wearing one of those things?

I think if you could get over the Freudian hangups though it'd be a great solution to the tucked in shirt, no cover garment situation. But I think I'll give that one a miss for now.

If you like leather and need it tuckable, look at the GS Tuckable by H.B.E. Specialty Leather Works (Eric Larsen).

His standard model was a one-arm attachment but I wanted something a little different. I wanted it to have two arms, one on each side of the firearm. This, in my opinion, would make it a little more stable by spreading the weight out and would also make the holster thinner by removing the center attachment point.

You can see the one we came up with for my Glock 19 at his site.
    http://www.imageseek.com/hbeleather/
    On the left side of the page find costumer pictures, go to page 2, Dave's G19 and a GS Tuckable

This holster is very comfortable and with the arm attachment design, Extremely Tuckable.

Options I chose:
    1) 10 deg. angled cant, I carry at 3:30/4:00
    2) High ride height
    3) Permanent loops
    4) Open top
    5) High back
    6) Rough side of leather out
    7) Horse hide reinforced open top

One of our members at missouricarry is a smartcarry dealer. He claims to have put a S&W 500 in his smartcarry rig...shudder...shudder...

I see no reason not to believe him, but thats a heck of a cannon to carry around.

Personally, I carry in IWB or in a shoulder rig. I leave my shirt untucked. Sometimes I just wear a another shirt as an additional cover garment.
    People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to violence on their behalf.

I have a friend that uses the Galco Skyops holster. He swears by the thing. I have one of these on order for my Sig P226.

What you see:

What you don't see:

Belly- band

I use a Galco belly-band.

Galco- Bellyband

Works great for when you have to have a tucked shirt (work)
    It also is nice that I can use it for my Xd sc and my Sig Pro.

Other pro's:
    Doesn't pull your pants down when using a public restroom.
    Can adjust 360 around the waist plus up and down the torso.
    (I have recently moved from under the belt to above the belt for everyday carry)

Cons:
    Very hard to re holster. It can be done without taking the band off but It takes practice and could be a safety issue. I personally take the band off to re-holster or rotate the band to the front, holster, then readjust.
    Last edited by wvturner; February 3rd, 2005 at 05:45 PM.

I used to use Smart Carry back when it was known as THUNDERWEAR. First it was very uncomfortable for me. But my wife had the final say when we'd go out for dinner and a waitress would keep glancing into my lap and giving the wife a BIG wink! LOL
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links