PM9 Pocket Carry

PM9 Pocket Carry

This is a discussion on PM9 Pocket Carry within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Another newbie here... I have a PM9 and have started to pocket carry when wearing casual pants (dockers, etc.), but I have not found a ...

Thread: PM9 Pocket Carry

PM9 Pocket Carry

Another newbie here...

I have a PM9 and have started to pocket carry when wearing casual pants (dockers, etc.), but I have not found a comfortable way to carry this one with jeans.

I have two questions for PM9 owner/carriers:

1. What's your preference for carry with jeans? Pocket option here or stricktly IWB/OWB?

2. When pocket carrying in slacks/dockers, have you ever had anyone notice and/or remark on the weapon? I love the gun compared to some others but its not a credit card.

On Q2, the Kahr and holster is a bit larger than a true wallet. It is more like a small notebook or planner. The problem I see is if (my paranoia speaking here) someone is behind you, such as in line at checkout, they can see the weapon if interested in the bulge in your pocket. In typical pants, the gun can be seen from the rear quarter since the "backstrap" portion of the grip is right at the open crease of the pocket. Also, the base of the 6rd Kahr clip is silver and can draw attention if one is interested.

To others, I've read the reviews here on the PM9, but I love the gun. Shoots great and I like to practice with it. I have not had the same reliability and comfort with other "micros." With quality ammo, I can place as good a pattern with this as I can with semis with twice the barrel length.

Thanks to all in advance!!!
    TStorm
    Ruger P95/Kahr PM9/S&W Model 65 .357

VIP Member
    The only pair of jeans I own that has allowed me to pull off pocket carrying my PM9 are super baggy...unless I wore a tucked out shirt that was long enough to go just past my thighs, thereby hiding the very obvious bulge in my pocket thanks to the gun.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

I carry IWB clip on. Just too big to carry in pocket with comfort. I also worry about sitting down, tripping, or falling and losing weapon. With clip on it is convenient and unnoticeable to others. You can get this Galco for 20 bucks from the company. It's not the best but you can't beat the price for a real leather holster.
    Attached Images
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    PM9 and jeans are an iwb/owb or ankle propisition lol . I wear jeans daily and trust me , if you can get the pm into the pocket , well dont plan on getting it back out fast lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by TStorm View Post
    ... have started to pocket carry when wearing casual pants (dockers, etc.), but I have not found a comfortable way to carry this one with jeans.
    As with anything, be certain you're comparing apples to apples. Meaning: don't expect tighter-fitting pants to fit as well and cover as well as looser-fitting pants. They never will.

Assuming your jeans have as much pocket space as your other pants, it should be equivalent. If your jeans are too tight, then get roomier jeans. That'll do it.

Keep in mind, too, that color of the pants has much to do with concealability. Black tends to hide bulges fairly well; other colors, not so well.

Data point: Carried front pocket for years with a S&W 442 revolver in a Pocket Softy holster. Very comfortable. Easy to draw and re-holster with one hand. Concealable so long as the pants worn had enough room for the package ... and that applied to Dockers-style, dressy types, or jeans.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I can only use pocket carry with my PM9 with dress pants, 5.11 pants and looser dockers. I cannot do this with jeans.

Other options include IWB/OWB or Kangaroo carry.

VIP Member

jeans pocket wallet

If you sit on it , it will print after a while

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    You can carry the PM9 in jeans pocket, but it is snug. It's not the most comfortable way to have your hands in your pockets, gripping your gun, if you think something's up.

I know what you're talking about in regards to your gun being seen if someone was behind & to the side of you. I've pocket carried several different guns in the last 12 years without being spotted (S&W 442, Glock 26, Kahr PM9, & an AMT .380 SA back-up). I've heard that carrying a pocket holster that'll cant your gun inside your pocket will eliminate that.

I have found the most comfortable way to carry my PM9 is IWB, behind the strong side hip. I wish I could carry appendix style with comfort, but I can't. Others that I know that can carry appendix can hide their gun wearing tighter fitting shirts (untucked) than I do, plus they don't have to worry about printing when they're bending over.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

PM9 Pocket Carry

Thanks for the responses.

I carried in loose fitting jeans today and it did well. More comfortable than the khakis in fact. Not too hard to get out, but it can't be harder or more conspicuous than going for tucked IWB. I agree tight jeans are definetely out for this one, but then again, I'm old enought that I'm not the tight-wearing-jeans-type anymore.

Still getting used to 6+1 carry in the first place, but was much more confident with the top-access pockets of the jeans than the more side entry pockets with the Dockers.

As I said in my original post, in khakis, I felt as if anyone could see the back and bottom of the grip from the rear quarter. I am concerned about concealment and maintaining control of the situation and the weapon. Could just be early jitters, but if someone can see it, a few situations might develop:

1. Someone seeing it would not know what it is since most people aren't looking in other peoples pockets and I'm just paranoid.
    2. Someone could see it, recognize it, and respect it. Ha.
    3. Someone could raise a stink (possibility).
    4. Some BG (or Jack@$$ trying to make a point) could have their hand in there if I were caught unaware.

Am I giving the program the proper consideration or am I paranoid? The attitudes on firearms vary by the mile around here. Even Wally World is giving up their firearms in our local store and we are rural BFE compared to the rest of the area.
    Last edited by TStorm; January 1st, 2007 at 02:03 AM.
    TStorm

Tucked IWB Carry

On the other hand, I like the idea of tucked IWB as an alternative, but has anyone come up with a way of making the clip less conspicuous?

Small pocket knife pouch or cell phone case mounted to the clip? People have all kinds of clip-on things these days from phones to MP3 players, but not a plain clip with nothing on it.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by TStorm; January 1st, 2007 at 02:04 AM. Reason: Added Title
    TStorm

Links