Defensive Carry banner

Gun Belt Question

1K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Blackeagle 
#1 ·
I purchased a gun belt from a reseller and followed their sizing advise.
which I included from the web site. I left out the name. Following their
advise I received a belt I can use with IWB carry on the tightest fitting
but when I have to remove the weapon for prohibited areas it will not tighten up enough.

I do not plan on ordering the same belt again so does anyone know of a belt and sizing method that would allow for use with and without an IWB holster? I really do not want to spend money on a belt I do not use.
thanks

NOTE - **** belts are "true" sized, that is they are sized by the actual waist measurement, not pants size or normal belt size. Due to their unique sizing method, **** belts tend to be sized small. We suggest you you take your normal belt size, and then add one size to it for a proper fit. For example, if you normally wear a 38", we'd suggest moving to a 40". If you plan to wear IWB or any other method that will add additional width to your waist, we'd suggest you consider moving up 2 sizes.

#2 ·
Well in theory if you have the correct sized belt without any holster it should be in the center hole on a five hole belt. This allows 2" either way for a typically belt manufacturer. This is how I buy mine and when I go with IWB I move out 1-2 holes depending on the rig/gun I'm using, without an IWB I am in the center hole.

I assume you measured correctly. When ordering ensure that the belt is sized for the center hole and it should work fine.

#4 ·
Actualy... I had mine made a bit differently than that. I had mine made to the center hole was about right when a Pancake OWB holster WAS in place. This left me with it in one hole without holster or middle with. Plus, early on while the pancake was breaking in, I had it in the second to last hole for about a week till everything losened up enough for me to finaly make the middle hole. Now all I see is one inch difference (one hole) with or without pancake. But I started out with the center hole being about two inches over my measured waist size to have the belt come in like this. For instance I measured almost a 36 waist (a tad over really almost 37) but had the center hole put at 38". Worked out well once the holsters broke in. There should be 5 inches of adjustment. 5 holes. So As close as you can get to the middle with holster should be within one hole without. After the holsters break in for a few weeks. IWB, I believe is a bit more. Since yours is too lose... your fine, just have someone punch you an additional hole. Too lose without holster is better than too tight!

#5 ·
Whoever you bought the belt from should be able to "resize" it for you by either adding more holes or whatever it takes to make the fit correct. If you followed their instructions to the "t", it sounds like they goofed up however, getting them to admit that would be hard. I'd just send it back and ask them to make it right. Personally, I have never had to add the two inches most makers ask for belts if your carrying an IWB. I have just measured without the iwb taken into consideration and my belts have been right on!

#6 ·
Thats a good point Dogman. If one hole one way or another is not enough then they can be redone on that other end as well. At least shortened. At least the ones I have can be. So depends on how much he needs I suspect. I would not think, that if it's more than one hole one side or another I would go that route. I would send it back to the maker and have him alter the other end for more than an inch. However the holes there where its attached at the buckle end will have to either line up or be eliminated to make it look nice and right. But looks like it can be done up a couple inches or more then they would be eliminated or lined up and just fine. I think most of the makers do this sort of thing regularly when need be. Some for free I think.

Sounds like on rereading his post, he needs a couple inches less... If so then I should think a redo on the buckle end would be more practical solution.

#7 ·
I'd Send It Back...

and get what 'you thought' you had paid for...
A reputable company should stand behind their product...if not...you've learned a lesson...

OMO...

ret:comeandgetsome:

#8 ·
Sounds like somebody made a mistake. Why not just add another hole? I have had a leather punch for years and it comes in handy. It is a hollow puch and it cuts out a nice round hole. Most craft stores will have them. If I really needed the belt I would do it myself, if you wanted the belt length shortened than I would send it back. I believe I recognize the manufacturer by the quote you gave and if I am right I am sure they will take care of the problem, they have a good reputation in the industry.

#11 ·
I have EXACTLY the same problem with my latest acquisition from GALCO. It's a 46 and I'm right now about a 44.5....Plus, I'm now losing some weight, so that makes things a bit worse on the "pack-ability" It is a SUPER nice dress belt. I just noticed a slightly larger gap between holes in the rear of the belt, so I'll take it to my buddy Sam Andrews at the next gunshow down here and ask HIM to punch in an extra hole. Sam (as we all know) is an expert. If he thinks I should go to Galco, he'll tell me.

I love to wear my Wilderness Instructor's belt for daily wear, but I can only use it for my IWBs and not for OWB because it is too flimsy and allows too much "holster flop." One thing is CERTAIN, I need a double thick gun belt for everyday wear, even when I'm not carrying (like at work) for it's support and comfort. So besides the nylon Wilderness belt that's all I have.

#12 ·
I love to wear my Wilderness Instructor's belt for daily wear, but I can only use it for my IWBs and not for OWB because it is too flimsy and allows too much "holster flop."
Which version of the Instructor's Belt do you have? They've got models with additional stitching or a polyetheline insert for additional stiffness. I find my 5 belt model plenty stiff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.