Looking for AIWB Holster for Thin Guy and Shield 9mm

This is a discussion on Looking for AIWB Holster for Thin Guy and Shield 9mm within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking for an AIWB holster for my Shield 9mm (single stack 9). Appendix is just a lot more comfortable for someone like me, who is ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Looking for AIWB Holster for Thin Guy and Shield 9mm

Looking for an AIWB holster for my Shield 9mm (single stack 9). Appendix is just a lot more comfortable for someone like me, who is constantly in and out of the car for the job (as well as personal life). I spend on average 4 hours a day in the car (getting in, out of the car is also where I envision my SD scenarios most likely to occur).

I'm also a very thin guy, ~140lb @5'10", so there's no gut or anything on me at all. So appendix is the way to go for me.

I'm not sure which holster to go for, but it looks like it's mostly a choice between the Comp-tac Minotaur Neutral Cant, Comp-tac Two O'Clock, Archangel 2, N82 Pro, and G-Code Incog.

I really don't care about printing, I'm going to be printing very little with such a small gun and don't tuck my clothes in (think nicer button ups or t-shirts and nice jeans but informal). What I care about above all else, is comfort. It needs to be that I would never think twice about picking up my gun just to step out for a second to get the mail, or a quick trip to the post office. The most comfortable holster is going to be the one I want.

I would really appreciate if anyone could speak to having tried any of these holsters, compared to other holsters they've tried. I'm well aware that these, and many other holsters, are awesome (hell even the $5 walmart blackhawk holsters feel great to me), but it's quite useless if someone replies 'i have an alien gear holster and therefore because it's the only thing I've used, even though i have zero frame of reference, I'm going to recommend someone else potentially make the same mistake I did'.

I've only tried the N82 holster, and the cheap Blackhawks, I mean they all felt nice to me so I don't really know what I'd want. I would think something with a 'backing' (hybrid style?) like the n82 might be more comfy than like an archangel or incog gun digging into you? I don't know.The G-Code Incog seems to be on my high list due to comfort and price (archangel seems to be the same thing but $30 more), but I'm wondering if the 'hybrid' style of the Minotaur Neutral or N82 is more comfortable. Comfort, comfort, comfort, is what I care about. I also do not carry about re-holstering (it's a CCW, not a range holster).

Thanks!

ps obviously I'd buy a crossbreed gun belt if necessary (ie like a remora or something wouldnt warrant one).

I am very happy with a simple Galco Sto N Go for appendix carry of a j frame sized gun. It's inexpensive, comfortable, has a clip so you can take it on and off if your have to, and is available everywhere.
    Mike
    I will rarely post, but will read (and hopefully learn) a lot

Remora micro holster. Cost me like 25 dollars or less and works awesome. Especially for easy on and off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kadonny likes this.

Well I am kind of a holster nerd and I am ALWAYS searching for holsters that will work for my needs. All holsters are personal preference and different for each person, which I find that to be true the more experience I gain with buying holsters. I have had several and I can let you know my favorites and you can take that information and look them up and decide.
    One of my favorites for sure was my PJ Holster I had for my Kahr CM9. It was very thin, simple over the belt clip holster, very easy on and off, and very comfortable. I could wear it all day long and not have worry or be uncomfortable. Mine had a 30 degree cant, and I wore it between 8 and 9 o clock, very deep concealment and could never tell I had it on. For $50 its awesome, but you will have to wait 9 to 10 weeks.
    Also have a harewell Clip n go, and I have really grown to like this holster. It is very comfortable at any position. I bought it for appendix carry, for my pps and it does very well. I wasnt sure about it at first as it did seem a little bulky, but I was surprised that at how well it does hide. I did have to make another hole in the clip to be able to go lower for deeper concealment and I really like it like that. But if I were to do it again, I would buy the Theis single clip in horsehide. The horsehide is more durable, longer lasting, and in the summer months it doesn't absorb moisture like cowhide would. Also its about half as thin as cowhide, so it would be that much more concealable. His holster is also adjustable in height.
    I also have had various other hybrid holsters, but those are not meant for Appendix. So my #1 suggestion since you wanted comfort would be the Theis single clip. Awesome customer service, a supporting vender, your not going to wait forever. I plan on selling my Harwell and buying one.
    Then for ultra thin I would go with PJ Holster. Awesome customer service there as well.
    Kennydale likes this.

One of our fellow DC posters, matthew03, makes his own AIWB holsters and sells them off his site. I haven't purchased one yet for a couple reasons (1. just found out about them and 2. No mold for my Bersa yet), but they look really nice. On sale right now for $45! His site says he has S&W holsters but not sure if that includes the Shield. Sorry I don't have any personal experience with his holsters (yet) but thought I'd throw it out there.
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

3Speed Holster It's mainly used for Deep Conceal at 12:00, but i use it at 1:30-2:00 as an AIWB

My Review of The 3speed Holster
    G-d, Make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. And G-d if today is truly the day you call me home, then let me die in a pile of empty brass.

I think Remora would be best for appendix carry and an easy in and out.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DJC7 View Post
    One of our fellow DC posters, matthew03, makes his own AIWB holsters and sells them off his site. I haven't purchased one yet for a couple reasons (1. just found out about them and 2. No mold for my Bersa yet), but they look really nice. On sale right now for $45! His site says he has S&W holsters but not sure if that includes the Shield. Sorry I don't have any personal experience with his holsters (yet) but thought I'd throw it out there.
    I do have a shield mold and have made several rigs for such. Thanks for the mention as well DJC7.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    DJC7 likes this.

Dan Fricke (dale?) is supposed to be top of the line.

Guys I'm aware there are lots of great holsters, but without any A vs B, it's hard to really get a good picture here.

Quote Originally Posted by SWIll View Post
    I am very happy with a simple Galco Sto N Go for appendix carry of a j frame sized gun. It's inexpensive, comfortable, has a clip so you can take it on and off if your have to, and is available everywhere.
    +1 for the STO-N-GO. I, too use one for a Taurus J-frame 357 and another for Glock 19/26 9mm pistols. A sponsor here OPTICS PLANET sells them and they are priced under $30 so are affordable. Leather and should serve your purpose well. Plus, you aren't out a bunch of $$$ if you decide it isn't for you. I'd say you'll like it.
    -- Robert
    NRA Life Member

I only carry AIWB. For a PPS (similar to Shield) I use an MTAC Minotaur. It is adjustable, comfortable and very well made. You can also swap out the kydex shells if you ever decide to carry something other than your Shield.

I feel like I haven't been heard here.

Belial, I unfortunately can't compare anything I've tried directly to anything on your list as I haven't ever owned any of them. But, so far I haven't been a huge fan of my Old Faithful belly holster, which I think could be comparable to the Minotaur at least. The holster itself is nice, but I'm not sold on hybrid holsters being good AIWB options. For me the clips are too wide and almost too stable for this position. And it's certainly a bit more difficult to slip on real quick heading out the door than a single clip, or closely spaced double clip holster. Next I'm going to try an all kydex or leather holster with a single loop because I believe that will give me the movement I'm looking for in the AIWB position. That probably wasn't quite what you were looking for but hopefully a tad bit useful.
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

TVJ
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links