Help me choose Please!

This is a discussion on Help me choose Please! within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, I have narrowed it down between two holsters for my next purchase but need help choosing. I am trying to pick between the Miltsparks ...

Thread: Help me choose Please!

Smile Help me choose Please!

Ok, I have narrowed it down between two holsters for my next purchase but need help choosing. I am trying to pick between the Miltsparks VM-2 and Tuckers "Answer." I will be carrying my Glock 19 in it. I need a tuckable holster so hence these two.

Now here comes the complicated part: I have a lasermax installed on my Glock and that can make holster selection complicated at times. As many of you know the laser is activated by pushing the take down lever in, but this can create a problem for softer IWB holsters as over the period of the day movement can turn the laser on and I may not discover it for many hours. (no laser flaming...lol)

So that is one of the reasons Tuckers looks favorable. However, not knowing anybody that owns this holster who I can coerce into fondling it I must resort to pictures. The holster kind of looks like it may take up a lot of room on my belt...leading to it poking into me in various situations (car, coach, office etc) but then again so does the VM-2. I have heard people rave about how comfortable the Tucker is but I need to be sure it is the one I want before I drop that kind of money.

VM-2 also looks very appealing, but I am having trouble finding pictures of it (ala my VM-2 picture thread) and Miltsparks website doesn't seem to offer many pictures or excess info about the holster. Does anyone know just how stiff the VM-2 is, in regards to compressibility? I realize it is leather and not kydex but I guess I am just looking for any information about it.

If you can't tell I have hit a cross road and can't decided which way to go. There are things I like about both, but I guess it is the things that I donít know that worry me. As all of you have probably experienced...a holsters works good for awhile until you start to find all the little things that disturb you. Those things that are impossible to for see and are only realized by wearing the holster for many hours and many days.

I am sure there are things that I forgot to mention or talk about but my brain is fried trying to compute all the pros and cons of each holster. So now I beg of you...your opinion please!

Thank You

2. Remove Ads

Happy New Year, and I hope this post can be of some sort of help. First, I should point out that I have never tried a VM2; but with the demand for them, I would bet that they are great holsters. I have a Tucker Answer, and absolutely can't say enough about it. I did a lot of trial and error with IWB holsters, but continually found that since I carry a full-size Sig P220ST in stainless, I had to tighten my belt to support the weight (40+ oz fully loaded) most of the holsters would dig everything into my side and wouldn't tuck a shirt for crap. The answer is pretty broad, like you mentioned, but that ends up being one of the best things about it...it spreads the weight and the support of the gun over a large portion of your beltline and doesn't feel like you have an anvil hanging off your belt at one single spot. The broad profile of it also seems to cause less distortion/asymmetry of your beltline when someone is looking at you or if you look in the mirror. I would think the kydex hard frame would definately be a good thing with the lasermax, and it makes re-holstering much easier. It doesn't "snap in" the same way I've seen other composite holsters (the Fobus comes to mind) do, there's more of a subtle "click" when your gun is in. It is surprising in a way, because even with the lack of locking mechanisms/etc (like the Blackhawk Serpa), I have never had a problem with retention in spite of doing all sorts of activity with the holster (yardwork, woodworking, carrying stuff around the house for the little wife). It is actually tuckable, but I've found that the best way for me (I live in TX where it is 2million degrees during Aug) to carry is with an Underarmour sleeveless compression t-shirt and then a light dress shirt over. The underarmour provides a lightweight and almost frictionless surface for the gun/holster, and a light dress shirt tucks over it perfectly. The only thing I think some people might have a beef with is the kydex clips over the beltline. The clips Tucker uses are not thin kydex, which is awesome for supporting the weight of the holster and gun, but they are definately noticeable over the belt unless your belt is black, too. They have different clips availible, but I haven't bothered to try them. My pager sits right next to the front clip on my belt, and I have yet to have anyone notice/mention anything (I think mostly because people nowadays are so used to people carrying supersonic sat-com communication arrays on their belts and other crud that noone notices). I can say it's been by FAR the best holster money I have spent, and is what I wear daily (after previously saying to my wife, "I think I'm just &%$ out of luck with inside the waistband carry if I want to keep carrying my full-size.") Lastly, if you order through their website or call their agent, Rob Longenecker, if you don't like the holster you can get your money back and then post that I am some sort of crack-smoking moron to have recommended this holster

Because of the laser I would think the Kydex holster would be a better choice to avoid triggering the laser, but I can't say I have used either of these two. Have you thought about a device like the carry smart? I would think something like it would be the best way to avoid accidently turning the laser on?
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Quote Originally Posted by Go Glock View Post
    Ok, I have narrowed it down between two holsters for my next purchase but need help choosing. I am trying to pick between the Miltsparks VM-2 and Tuckers "Answer." I will be carrying my Glock 19 in it. I need a tuckable holster so hence these two.

Now here comes the complicated part: I have a lasermax installed on my Glock and that can make holster selection complicated at times.

Thank You
    Send an email to Rob at Tucker. He will personally work with you to create what you need. He makes every holster himself. He guarantees "if you don't like it just send it back". I have his Texas Heritage and it's top notch.

I have no experience with Miltsparks - no idea if you get any personal attention from them at all.

if you want a tuck type holster i would look at the galco u.d.c. i got one and to me it is the best in this line of holsters.

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I have 2 VersaMax II holsters, one each for my Sig 239 and Sig 229. I've also owned them for a 1911 and a Glock. The VMII is very stiff and it has a reinforced mouth which makes it hold its shape. The only problem with a VMII is the wait. Right now I think it's about a 20-22 week wait unless you can find one from a supplier, but the charge a premium. IMO, it's worth the extra $ to get it sooner.

That was a hilarious post Snoozedoc.... and you gave excellent info....Thank You.

NCHornet... I do have a smart carry and it works good for those deep concealment days and does not actuate the laser, but it really just seems to crowd Jr. and after wearing it for a couple hours I am ready to take it off. The speed and accessability of this holster is dismal and I only wear it when I absolutely don't want to be "made." Thank you for the suggestion though.

Links