Why I Prefer A Thumbreak.

This is a discussion on Why I Prefer A Thumbreak. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm liking all of these new holsters with alternate retention devices to hold the pistol(or revolver) in the holster untill needed. The SERPA comes to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why I Prefer A Thumbreak.

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar

Why I Prefer A Thumbreak.

I'm liking all of these new holsters with alternate retention devices to hold the pistol(or revolver) in the holster untill needed.

The SERPA comes to mind, as does the Bianchi Carry-Lok offering.

Myself, having had a few gun-spills over the years, both
    on-duty and off.

After Thanksgiving had passed. I was berrated by a friend over the fact that if given a choice, I will take a thumbreak holster.

Less than a week later, a local guy was in a Costco bathroom
    and had an AD with his pistol. Luckily, only the wall got hit and
    he had a valid CPL on him when the Police arrived

I still have a couple open top, combat style holsters, but have not used them for years, and would only do so for the Range.

Call me Old Fashioned, or just an idiot. I won't have to worry about my RAMI or CBOB hitting the pavement , at an unopportune time!

Now, if only the makers would offer more TB holsters for Commanders.
    Last edited by clarkston_cz; January 2nd, 2007 at 09:59 PM.
    www.czforum.com

Go RED SOX!

2. Remove Ads

You don't say what kind of a gun the guy had, but I see you mention cbob, so you may be talking about 1911's. How does a cocked and locked hammer go forward by hitting the floor? It would pretty much have to hit on the grip safety, thumb safety and the trigger all at once unless I'm missing something here.

I also tend to not just drop my drawers in the crapper and forget about my gun. I guess what I'm saying is I don't like strap in holsters and I havn't had a problem dropping mine in the bathroon.
    If I get cranky It's because the VA is changing my meds again.
    NRA and DAV life member.
    1911Auto

the guy at costco was wearing a shoulder holster

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post
    the guy at costco was wearing a shoulder holster
    I would probably strap one in a shoulder holster, but none of my iwb holsters are loose enough for the gun to fall out. Was it a revolver or something that AD'd when it hit the floor?
    NRA and DAV life member.
    1911Auto

i got several old Bianchi 5b thumbreak holsters that i got in the 70's. use them with my 1911's. even got one for my jetfire. got to love a good made thumbreak.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Ah, this must be it. It seems it fell out of his holster and ad'd while he was on the toilet. How many think he was playing with it and it and he caused the AD? IT sounds pretty fishy to me.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...gunshot22.html
    NRA and DAV life member.
    1911Auto

think they said it was a sig

Lovin' my crossbreed supertuck iwb for most days (body squish is my thumbbreak) and for formalwear/heavy coat days it's my blackhawk cqb serpa owb mounted to their special shoulder harness. I'd never have a problem like that bathroom guy.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by saltysquid View Post
    Ah, this must be it. It seems it fell out of his holster and ad'd while he was on the toilet. How many think he was playing with it and it and he caused the AD? IT sounds pretty fishy to me.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...gunshot22.html
    I've dropped my Sig 228 before and nothing happened. I find this story very fishy. The scary part is that LE actually believed him. As for the retention thing not my cup of tea. I might understand if your argument is your an LE and you planning on chasing somebody off duty jumping over fences and diving through fox holes. However, if its concealled and you have a good holster, Milt Sparks, Kramer, Blade-Tech etc...... I don't see why this would be an issue. I did a training session with an officer who was tasked at one time to find a new gun for one of the state patrols. He first looked at why cops got killed in gun fights. He found that alot more LE's where killed because of failure to perform the fine motor skill of taking the gun off of safe. If you add a retention style holster with another fine motor skill I see this becoming more of an issue. I've used the Serpas for IDPA and some thumb break style holsters. I say 1/20 times I get hung up on the retention system. With a non retention holster usually its about 1/10,000 times. I would much rather have a holster that is dosn't have a retention system. If I was chasing someone my gun would probably be out in my hand or if the gun fell out you would probably hear and feel it going "OO crap I lost my gun", and then break chase. I also didn't loose my life over not being able to get the gun out of the holster when needed.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Lead Moderator
    I can run and roll around on the ground with all my open top holsters. the guns stay in place, so I don't see a need for a thumb break. If you have not tried a good open top holster, you may not know what you are missing. ..........Or maybe you do. To each his/her own.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    The scary part is that LE actually believed him.
    I wonder if maybe the cop knew what happened and chewed him out in private and cut him some slack by writing it up as a dropped weapon. Cops are usually pretty sharp and I woud think that would be hard to get past one unless he was feeling in a generous mood.
    NRA and DAV life member.
    1911Auto

To each there own is the way I see it but on this forum it seams you will get torn apart for even thinking about a thumb break.

The way I see it is we need to all be comfortable with the firearms we carry and the carry system we choose. If a person feels more comfortable with a thumb break holster then by all means use a thumb break holster.

If I am comfortable and confident with my old five shot .38 wheelgun in an a thumb break holster than that is what I will practice with and carry reguardless of what the other guys on-line are doing.

I don't think it makes either of us right or wrong!

For a good fitted holster with a compression screw, you don't need one but with a non-fitted holster it is required IMHO for an OWB type holster.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    I can run and roll around on the ground with all my open top holsters. the guns stay in place, so I don't see a need for a thumb break. If you have not tried a good open top holster, you may not know what you are missing. ..........Or maybe you do. To each his/her own.
    I agree with rocky on this one...I simply can't get my gun to fall out of my holster..and I have actually tried. I find the retention (and that nice "click") of the C-TAC to be very good. And if I feel I need the retention to be tighter for some reason then I can always adjust it. Just my two cents though.

Quote Originally Posted by freetrapper View Post
    To each there own is the way I see it but on this forum it seams you will get torn apart for even thinking about a thumb break.
    Torn apart? I don't know what you think a forum is, but He wasn't thinking about anything as he posted his opinion in a thread which means he was expecting, or should be expecting replies of other opinions. People posted their opinions as should be expected and I don't see anywhere that he was "torn apart". The moral of the story? If you don't want differing opinions then don't post yours in an open forum.
    NRA and DAV life member.
    1911Auto

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links